HELP - How much to weddings abroad cost compared to uk?

Hiya,

Have been trying to plan my wedding for a couple of months since my engagement and I have always thought that I wanted to get married in the UK. BUT due to possible budget restrictions I may now have to reconsider.

I was just wondering what you are paying for your weddings abroad (all in) and what you are getting for that money? what is the etiquete? Who do you pay for and who pays for themselves? Not sure where else to get an idea of prices from other than the people who are going through it themselves. image

Any tips / information is greatly appreciated.

Jo

• happytimesukhappytimesuk Posts: 4,074
    Hi! Heres a break down of ours....

We are getting married at Nissi beach in Cyprus (as are some other brides on here!!) Heres the link...

http://www.hotelsayianapa.com/article.php?id=338

Ours has cost £2000 for accommodation - a beach bungalow for 11 nights, and then £5000 for the wedding, including ceremony overlooking the sea (lisence, registrar, venue etc), reception for 50 (venue + 5 course meal or bbq), flowers (own design), cake (own design), dvd, photographer, horse and carriage, dj, lit up balloon release.

......and then about £2000 for dresses/suits/shoes/jewellery/tiara/gifts/favours etc.(3 bms, 3 ushers, 2 flower girls, page boy). We are also making 'welcome packs' for the guests.

All the guests are paying for their own holiday. We included all the info about our hotel in the inviations, and also info about other hotels. We gave out our invites about a yr and half before the wedding to give people chance to save/not book their summer holiday!

We are using a wedding co-ordinator over in cyprus called Kerry from aisle of love, she is very highly recommended on here!! She has been wonderful so far,and is very reasonable. She has found lots of things cheaper for us, and is just great to have their to email when you are panicing about something!! She has organised the ceremony, and will co-ordinate all the other bits - flowers, cake etc, and the smooth running of the day.

Generally, it is around half of the average wedding in England! BUT You can make it as cheap/expensive as you want, some brides have got married abroad for £3000, some have spend 15,000. It depends on what you want !!

Hope this helps!! Xxx

• flowermoonflowermoon Posts: 2,035
    Hi

Here's our breakdown for Mexico, including a party on the return.

Two weeks all inclusive holiday for the two of us: £3,800

Wedding package: £1,100

My dress and accessories, bridesmaids and men's clothing: £2,500

Guests are paying for themselves to come out, but we may need to help out h2b's parents a little. We spoke to people directly about coming abroad, and are not sending invites. We haven't booked abroad yet as dates aren't out in the travel agents til October, but have spoken to people already to give plenty of notice. Just gave them all the holiday details over the phone. We are sending invites for the party on the return.

Party on the return:

Invites/replies/save the dates - £200

venue hire £450

Food for 60 at £30 a head - £1,800

Welcome drink - £240

Champagne - £400

Cake - £300

Disco - £250

That totals about £11,000, so agree with the above that it is about half the cost of doing it in the UK, but can be done for much less!!

Good luck xxx
  • mistreymistrey Posts: 294
    Hi

Ours is really cheap compared to the other posts. We paid £1800 for 2 weeks all inc for 2 adults and 2 kids, plus £200 for Firstchoice wedding planners (should have saved that money for all the use they have been). When we get to Cyprus we have to pay another £488 for our 3 course meal reception for 20 which includes alcohol. The fees plus dresses, rings, flowers etc have all come in at around another £900.

In total our wedding at the Golden Coast Hotel, Protaras, is coming in at around £3,400. We are then having a reception at home which is costing around £300 as we have free room hire and just paying for food and 2 staff for the bar.

Hope this helps

Kate

xxx
  • kimshutlerkimshutler Posts: 255
    Hi,

We are getting married at Saint Irini Chapel in Santorini

http://www.santoriniwedding.info/saint_irini_santorini_wedding_location.htm

The break down of our costs are:

£400 for the ceremony venue

£1000 for the planner including sorting all legal stuff and flowers for us both

£900 for 2 weeks in a 3 star hotel for the 2 of us

We haven't decided on the reception yet but for a traditional taverna it will be between £15 and £40 per head....

All our guests are paying for their own flights and accommodation. It is working out about £300 per person for flights and a week 2 star hotel.

Hope that helps! Give me a shout if you want any more info.

Kim x

P.S We had been 100% set on a UK wedding too until we realised that we couldn't afford anything we wanted and it would have ended up being really average. We were scared that people wouldn't come abroad but now we have 60 coming!!

Hope that helps!

• Hi happytimes, sorry to budge in everyone!

you mentioned you have a balloon release, sounds fab! do you mind me asking who you booked that through?

thanks

Carly x
  • happytimesukhappytimesuk Posts: 4,074
    Hi! Im taking my own balloon and LED lights, making labels to tie on..... and the guests write their wishes on before we release them. My wedding planner overin cyprus has sorted out some helium. xxx
  • Oh that sounds just great!

I origianally wanted a wedding abroad to save the pennies, as we are saving for a house aswel but as Im reading these forums and seeing everyones fab ideas I want more and more!!

when is your wedding? x
  • xDonnaxukxDonnaxuk Posts: 138
    Hi Mrslitch2be, we are saving for a house aswell as the wedding too, have you set yourself a budget yet? we are getting married in Cyprus but not until 2010 xx
  • MariaMariaukMariaMariauk Posts: 244
    We are saving for a house and wedding too!

I think going abroad is better in terms of number of people that will come (I have a large extended family that think they have th divine right to be invited so we are going abroad so as not to be surrounded by people we dont want there on the day!!) Thats one of the great reasons for goign abroad because it keeps it a bit more intimate. It really depends on teh number of people you will invite, but chances are it will work out cheaper and better value for money than in UK.

xxx
  • LittleboboukLittlebobouk Posts: 5,369
    Our wedding abroad has totalled in at 22k I know i hear the gasp!!

This includes a seperate honeymoon in Thailand for 3 weeks

One week in Hydra

Our private island with personal Chef to cook meals to suit eachs guest

DJ, Decorations, Yacht for guests to arrive on, speedboat for me to turn up with dad, free bar...loads of other little bits

Photographer, videographer, custom made outfits for bride and groom, cake, fireworks, baloon release, full planning service and runner on the day...our wedding is only for 30 people and will be very personlised and intimate we have also paid for certain peoples accomodation as it was really important for us to have them there with us ...

I know people think we're made for spending out like this but if we had done what we intend to do in the uk

1) it would have rained

2) it would have easily been double the price ..plus i dont think we could have found anywhere as beautiful in the UK

one thing to watch out for though is the euro if you are looking at EU country as it is not brilliant rates at the moment our original budget was 15K but since the euro has not done so well it has rocketed the cost of everything image
  • heliganedenheliganeden Posts: 1,848

Our wedding in Paphos, Cyprus cost approx £10k

That included a 2 week holiday, all inclusive and our spending money (but not our honeymooon, which is next year)

All our guests paid for their own holidays, we let them know where we were staying but didn't get involved in their individual plans too much, we let them book wherever/whenever was good for them, we gave people a year's notice

We used an independant wedding planner, Linda from Paphos Total weddings - she was fab and highly recommended image I would say definitely use a planner, for all the help you get it's so worth it, we think it was worth every penny we paid

We had 32 guests and our budget included all the bridal party outfits, cars, flowers, 4 course meal, free bar all day on the wedding day, photographer, transport, dj, singer, favours, rings, legal fees, church fees, gifts, venue hire etc

I think a wedding abroad mostly costs less because you have less guests, with 32 we could afford to pay for all their drinks and a much better quality meal than we could've afford for say 100+ guests had we had it at home - we could've done it cheaper if we'd needed to cut down but we were within budget, I think if we'd had to we couldn't done it for £6k

Littlebobouk wrote (see)
    one thing to watch out for though is the euro if you are looking at EU country as it is not brilliant rates at the moment our original budget was 15K but since the euro has not done so well it has rocketed the cost of everything image

Really? We found the exact opposite - we'd agreed set prices in euros a year before and the pound is now much stronger against the euro it actually saved us loads, probably about 20% less image the euro isn't doing well, but that means we get a better exchange rate!

• We've been looking at getting married in thailand and it's going to still be around £30k or so but that's because we're having 2 religious ceremonies, civil ceremony, reception plus a welcome dinner and a pre-wedding party which are going to be spread out over 3 days. If you just want a civil ceremony you can get a full package for £1000-2000 including all your flowers, a glass of champagne for each guest, complimentary bubbly for the toast, a cake etc. 

• oh and we're not paying for guests' flights and they will get a discounted room rate anyway - most resorts offer this. You can look at wedding packages in cyprus and other european locations on thomson's website, too.

• heliganeden wrote (see)
    Littlebobouk wrote (see)

Really? We found the exact opposite - we'd agreed set prices in euros a year before and the pound is now much stronger against the euro it actually saved us loads, probably about 20% less image the euro isn't doing well, but that means we get a better exchange rate!

the original post was posted in 2008, lol 

• Ours has cost 2000 for 25 people in Sorrento, Italy. This includes ceremony, reception and food for 5 people. This compared to the 9000 price tag on the venue in th UK we wanted. Sorrento was a hands down winner. Abroad you have weather and views to die for in Italy. I would highly recommend!

fall3n-ang3luk wrote (see)
    heliganeden wrote (see)
    Littlebobouk wrote (see)

LOL, didn't notice it'd been bumped from way back when image

• heliganeden wrote (see)
    fall3n-ang3luk wrote (see)
    heliganeden wrote (see)
    Littlebobouk wrote (see)

LOL, didn't notice it'd been bumped from way back when image

lol 

• AmpyAmpy Posts: 51
    Alexander2Be wrote (see)

Ours has cost 2000 for 25 people in Sorrento, Italy. This includes ceremony, reception and food for 5 people. This compared to the 9000 price tag on the venue in th UK we wanted. Sorrento was a hands down winner. Abroad you have weather and views to die for in Italy. I would highly recommend!

Alexander2Be

Where have you booked in Sorrento?  That sounds like an amazing deal.

Does that include the translation of documents etc?

Have you done it yourself or through a wedding planner (I am guessing you've braved it and done it all yourself at that price).

• Abroad weddings let the Bride and Groom save lots of money, but make your guests spend lots of money. This irony is obviously not wasted on guests, your overall wedding cost will probably be the same, it's just that your guests are paying for it.

It of course also means that guests have to go abroad with all your friends and family to a place and at a time when they probably wouldn't choose to, so I would consider whether it is more important to have all your friends and family at your wedding, or for it to be pricy, because you can have lovely cheap weddings in the UK, but going abroad will undoubtedly mean not everyone will be able to go - so it depends what is more important to you "the day" or who is actually with you to celebrate.

• AmpyAmpy Posts: 51

We're taking just immediate family and close friends - they are paying for themselves and making a holiday out of.  I'd feel bad making them pay loads as some of them don't have much cash.

We don't want a big bash which is why we are going abroad to do it - we aren't even inviting aunt bessies and uncle bills lol x

• Lisa13Lisa13 Posts: 1

If you are looking to pay for a wedding abroad you should think about the foreign exchange costs. Try to steer away from using your bank and they will normally charge you a fee on top of the exchange costs. 

Look on comparison websites such as money.co.uk and independent providers who will match any rate you find like fairfx. There are lots to choose from but don't just go for the recognised brand as many high street providers will have a poor exchange.

Weddings abroad can be far cheaper but don't lose money by forgetting how you are going to transfer the money and leaving it until last minute. 

Wedding organisers are also great because they know the best and most cost effective places to source what you need.

The top destinations for 2013 were Greece, Italy and France with an average spend of £6,500 compared to £20,000 in the UK, so you can save money by going overseas.

I think it's now 1 in 5 couples marry abroad so it's a popular choice.

Our wedding cost in total about £9k, including our 2 week holiday and spends, to Paphos, Cyprus.

We had 35 guests and on the wedding day we paid for everything, travel, meal, full paid bar, we covered all the outfits for the wedding party, hair for bridesmaids & mums etc

I don't really get the 'your guests pay for the wedding' argument against weddings abroad, our guests chose to make it their holiday, they didn't have to come, and plenty we invited didn't!

I only ever wanted a small wedding, and it was a perfect way of inviting all, but knowing we'd end up with a relatively small number of guests.  

Champagne_Please wrote (see)

Abroad weddings let the Bride and Groom save lots of money, but make your guests spend lots of money. This irony is obviously not wasted on guests, your overall wedding cost will probably be the same, it's just that your guests are paying for it.

It of course also means that guests have to go abroad with all your friends and family to a place and at a time when they probably wouldn't choose to, so I would consider whether it is more important to have all your friends and family at your wedding, or for it to be pricy, because you can have lovely cheap weddings in the UK, but going abroad will undoubtedly mean not everyone will be able to go - so it depends what is more important to you "the day" or who is actually with you to celebrate.

Nobody *has* to go anywhere, when we planned our wedding abroad we'd have been happy with just the two of us if nobody wanted to come image We didn't make anyone spend anything, or go anywhere they didn't want to - they chose to make it their holiday, all the people who decided to come would've had a holiday abroad that summer anyway, so it just made the location easier to decide on, lol

Not everyone wants a big wedding, it wasn't about cost for us image

• Loz4Loz4 Posts: 5

Its not about the cost for us, we had our first holiday in Cyprus and loved it and said the if we ever got married thats where we wanted it to be and now we are and have decided to do it there. 

A question for everyone that has done it already abroad, if everyone came for a week (arriving a few day before) did you organise things everyone to do for the rest of the holiday or did everyone just do there own thing ? 

Loz4 wrote (see)

A question for everyone that has done it already abroad, if everyone came for a week (arriving a few day before) did you organise things everyone to do for the rest of the holiday or did everyone just do there own thing ? 

The only things we arranged apart from the wedding day was a boat trip a couple of days after the wedding, we paid for both sets of parents to come and let everyone else know we'd be doing that if they wanted to join us, and then a stag/hen do night out but it was all optional.

Apart from that everyone did their own thing, it was their holiday so we didn't want to dictate everything the whole time they were there image

• hi, we are getting married in Cyprus in June, we found that out of all the places to look at this come up most affordable with pretty much guarenteed sunshine most of the year round and wasnt a long flight for family to come over and visit. our whole wedding inclusing food, flowers, cake and even honeymoon has come in st £4198 i think! we booked our wedding in Ayian Napa and used Love Cyprus Weddings, Stacey emailed us day and night and has really helped us with all the information regarding any documents. i reccommend them!