Anyone planning a big wedding in Mauritius?

Hi Everyone

I am getting married in Mauritius (pretty much all the family are out there) and I am trying to help with the planning from here in england.

It was difficult to begin with - I needed to paint a clear picture of where I wanted the wedding to take place and how it should all be done

-but now everyone has a good understanding (i hope) and in mauritius they are doing their best to get everything right

I would like to get in touch with anybody else who is trying to organise an overseas wedding - even if it is to share the stress of the planning!

:\)

• HI JOKERFAIRGROUND

HOW BIG IS BIG WEDDING ABROAD?

IM GETTING MARRIED AT THE LE TOUESSROK AND THERE ARE 18 OF US IN TOTAL.

I KNOW AN EXCELLENT PHOTOGRAPHER FROM AUSTRIALIA IF YOU LOOKING NOT TO USE THE HOTEL PHOTOGRAPHERS. THE STANDARD OF THEM IS NO WHERE NEAR AS GOOD AS UK PHOTOGRAPHERS OR THAT OF IAN WHO IM HOPING CAN COME TO MAURITIUS FOR MY WEDDING!

KELLE
  • hi kelle

well since our parents were born there and most of our family are out there our wedding is slightly bigger - 350!

but i would be interested to know about your phtographer - because i do know the quality of photographers in mauritius is not always tht great

our wedding is going to be bang in the middle of the summer(dec for mauritius)!! when is yours?

JF
  • HI JF

350!!! HOW WONDERFUL! THE PHOTOGRAPHER IM HOPING TO HAVE IS IAN TUNGSTEN.

HIS WEBSITE IS www.tungsten.net.au

HIS EMAIL ADDRESS IS [email protected]

MY WEDDING IS 20TH SEPT 2007 AT LE TOUESSROK.

ITS MORE OR LESS SORTED. JUST PRICING UP THE COST OF ALCOHOL AT THE PRESENT TIME, AS I HEAR CHAMPAGNE IS EXPENSIVE IS MAURITIUS. AND FROM THE PRICE LIST FROM THE HOTEL... THE RUMOURS ARE TRUE!!

KELLE
  • Hi

I got married at The TAJ hotel in December.

Ian did my photographs -he spent all day with us which was fantastic.

I am due to get them this weekend -I cant wait!!!

We also had the hotel photographer who wasnt bad but not in the same league as Ian.

Beware though you do get what you pay for & he isnt cheap .You will also have to pay for his flight etc if its a special one off trip.

Mel xxx
  • HI JF

SORRY HIS NAME IS IAN REGNARD!

OOPS

KELLE
  • HI MEL

YEAH HE SAID THAT BUT HE DID SAY THAT IF HE CAN HAVE THREE WEDDINGS AROUND THE SAME TIME, THEN IT WOULD JUST BE THE COST OF HIM BEING THERE.

WHAT ARE YOUR PHOTOS LIKE? DID YOU END UP WITH A LOT OF PHOTOS?

I WAS LOOKING AT THE TAJ TO GET MARRIED AT, BUT DECIDED ON LE TOUESSROK AS THERE WERE OTHER HOTELS CLOSER FOR MY GUESTS.

DID YOU HAVE A LOVELY TIME?

ANY TIPS OR NASTY SURPRISES?

KELLE X
  • Hi Kelle,

It was soooooooo beautiful & everything went to plan.

We looked at Le Touesserok but decided on the Taj as it was a much smaller intimate hotel which suited us better.

As you have already found out a big negative with Mauritius is the cost of wine /champagne etc.We took a magnum of champagne with us & the hotel tried to charge us £25 corkage !!! Apparently its across the board with all the hotels not just the 5 star resorts.It is truly extortionate & will significantly add to the cost of your stay.

We got married at 5-30 in the afternoon -so it was cooling down-do beware of the heat though-it can be incredibly windy aswell if you are getting married on the beach.You are also on the windier side of the island.

Also beware of mosquitoes there are loads out there -so do cover up befor e the big day.

Its also prone to some hefty downpours-we were lucky & had a glorious day but make sure you have an indoor or covered alternative arranged with your hotel.As you are going in September-which is just the beginning of their summer you need to be aware of that.

I havent got Ian's photos yet-but I certainly hope they are fantastic .He was with us from 9-30 in the morning through till 9 at night & prepared a storyboard of the day.

He is a really down to earth guy & will make you feel completely at ease.

Another thing to point out if you are flying Air Mauritius is that their business class is now premium economy & is quite cramped.We flew back first class which was great (it was full going out -hence opting for what we thought was business class!).

Believe me your day will go really quickly !!

Thats all I can think of at the moment !!!

Mel xxxxx
  • we are getting married at la pirogue resort,mauritius on 7th september this year. there are 10 of us going all together, we wanted to get married abroard so we could have a little and intermate wedding. its just close family members only. i cant wait until i become his wife. only 7 months 9 days.
  • Hi everyone,

I am getting married at the Shandrani hotel in October 2007, and can't wait!

I am a little apprehensive as to what to expect when we get there, and we have 25 people coming over with us.

I would love to hear how others held their reception, and what type of entertainment is available! (We were told we could have gospel singers, harpists, anything, as well as the traditional sega dancers!!)

I would like a marquee in the gardens overlooking the ocean, but not sure whether to have buffet style or sit down meal??

We chose this hotel as we have a lot of children coming with us and thought the resort looked fun for them with all those watersports etc.

Would love to hear if anybody has been here??

p.s. The photographer info is really good thanks xx
  • Regarding Ian the photographer, I e-mailed him immediately after reading your excellent comments yesterday, and we are definately thinking of booking him.

If anybody else is getting married in Mauritius around October 25th, and wants to book him, then we do not have to pay air fare costs etc if there is more than one booking. (previously said I think!). He charges AUD3000 (APPROX £1180 dep on exc rate) for photos. Then AUD2000 for air fare/hotel costs if not more than one booking.

Is anybody interested??
  • HI MEL

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR TIPS!! IM TRYING TO THINK OF WAYS TO CUT DOWN THE COST OF THE CHAMPERS BUT HAVE A FEELING I WILL END UP PAYING ABOVE THE ODDS ANYWAY!

CORKAGE £25.00?? ID DO IT MY BLEEDING SELF FOR FREE!! HA HA

WE ARE TRAVELLING BUSINESS CLASS BOTH WAYS WITH BA, IM QUITE LOOKING FORWARD TO THAT ALONE!

HOW MANY WERE THERE IN TOTAL AT YOUR WEDDING?

IM EXCITED FOR YOU COS YOUR GETTING YOUR PICS SOON. YOU WILL HAVE TO UPDATE ME ON THE OUTCOME AND ANYTHING YOU WOULD HAVE CHANGED.

I DONT THINK I WANT TO GET MARRIED ON THE BEACH, I KNOW MY MUM WANTS SHADE IF ITS BOILING. BUT I THINK I WILL JUST DECIDE WHEN I GET OUT THERE. OTHERWISE, IT JUST GETS STRESSFUL WORRYING ABOUT IT

KELLE X
  • HI DOMPERIGNON

IM GLAD YOU CONTACTED IAN BECAUSE FROM LOOKING AT HIS WEBSITE I WAS HAPPY WITH HIS PICS!

MY WEDDING IS 20TH SEPT, SO IM HOPING LOTS OF BRIDES WILL CONTACT HIM AND BOOK HIM SO THAT HE CAN COME OVER AND IT WILL ONLY COST US THEN FOR THE PHOTOS.

KELLE XX
  • MEL...

ONE MORE THING. I COULDNT CHOOSE BETWEEN THE TAJ AND LE TOUESSROK AT ONE POINT. I ORIGINALLY WAS GOING FOR THE TAJ BUT CHOSE LE TOUESSROK BECAUSE THERE WERE OTHER HOTELS FAIRLY CLOSE FOR MY GUESTS

WELL NOT TOO CLOSE OF COURSE! HA HA. 15 - 20 MINS AWAY IS CLOSE ENOUGH I THINK!!

KELLE
  • Kelle,

Ian did say he was over there in September, so do contact him.
  • Hi Ladies,

Just to let you all know I got my proofs from Ian on friday & they are fantastic.

Well worth the money if you can afford it.

Mel xxxxxx
  • HI everyone

I emailed Ian on Tuesday(30/01) this week and I havent had a reply yet - how long does he normally take to respond?

JF

[Modified by: jokerfairground on February 01, 2007 10:09 PM]
  • I e-mailed Ian on Tues afternoon, and there was an e-mail waiting for me by wed morning.

(time difference with him being in Australia!)

I am also awaiting another one from him, so maybe he is busy working.
  • HI EVERYONE

IAN DOES TAKE A WHILE SOMETIMES TO REPLY BECAUSE HE'S BUSY. I WAITED A WHILE BEFORE BECAUSE HE WAS WORKING IN MAURITIUS!

I HAVE SPOKEN TO HIM ABOUT COMING TO MY WEDDING AND AS LONG AS HE HAS THREE WEDDINGS SEPT TIME, HE IS HOPING TO MAKE IT.

KELLE XX
  • Hi,

We are getting married at Les Pavillions on Nov 9th and am sooo excited. I have next week off work to go dress shopping with my Mum!

We have not looked at photographers yet but think we can only afford the hotels own so I am going to make sure lots of family members have digital cameras with them!!

We have been advised that sega dancers and 'strolling musicians' are available at not too much extra cost and depending on how many of us end up going (10 of us so far) we might opt for a beach barbecue after the service.

We are also having a reception when we get home at the Marriott hotel which I am really looking forward to as well- so much to do!!!

And I can't believe it is less than 9 months now...

Elle x
  • Hiya,

I'm planning on getting married at Legends Hotel at the end of Aug 2008. The only thing that I can't find much about is the reception at the hotel after the ceremony.

Elle - who have you booked yours through as I love the idea of a beach barbecue. We can't afford to pay for everyone's meal at one of the hotel's restaurants as the other guests aren't staying there so it'll work out really expensive.

Anyone else got any experience of what happens atfer the ceremony with regards to food.

Thanks,

Becky x
  • Hi All,

This is a little odd i guess...I am not getting married in Mauritius, rather i am going on my honeymoon there as i work for resorts based out there. I guess it would be slightly unprofessional of me to mention which ones...But if you need any help or advise i will gladly look into anything for you!

Happy Planning!

Would really love to see any pictures from anyone!

xx

[Modified by: juliejoo on March 01, 2007 04:15 PM]
  • sazzyuksazzyuk Posts: 131
    Hi juliejoo,

I got your email & I'll send you my wedding photos soon. We got married in December 2006 in Mauritius, on "The Blue Safari Submarine" and said our vows 40 metres under the Indian Ocean. WOW - What a day that was to remember!!! My husband, myself & our 2 children had the time of our lives. It was arranged and dealt with a company called Ward Travel based in Mauritius. They took care of absolutly everything!! We spent 2 & 1/2 weeks out there. We are now planning to move there permanently in Nov 2008.

sarah xx
    hi juliejoo, Just a quick note to say, by now you should have a link to my photos. Any probs let me know!! Sarah xx
    hi juliejoo, Just a quick note to say, by now you should have a link to my photos. Any probs let me know!! Sarah xx
  • Hi Again Sarah,

Your pictures are great...You all look fantastic, and i love the idea of a submarine wedding! Very original!

Congratulations again!

Julie x
  • Hi Everyone,

New to boards, so a warm hello to you all. I'm getting married in Trou Aux Biches hotel in Mauritius in June. We're having a small ceremony about (12-15 people) either on the beach if its not too windy or in grounds of the hotel garden which i hear is lovely.

Our reception is being held at a smaller venue down the road from TAB called Ocean Villas. I've alot of family out there so we're expecting about 40-50 people. We're in the middle of arranging reception details, we're going for a Buffet menu, Champagne cocktails (but the cost of Champers seems extortion) Sega dancing, Dj then fireworks on the beach at night. Fingers crossed it all goes to plan. Good luck to all of you in the same boat!

Shaz xx

• lyndseyhglyndseyhg Posts: 24
    Hi All!!!

I am getting married at the Shandrani next may but we are paying for our parents to join us so cannot afford the photographer. We chose the Shandrani as we love sprt and we have two lively children who we can shuffle off to the great kids club they have there!

We have also arranged for a sunset catamaran cruise after the ceremony, with champagne and nibbles so as to continue the celebrations outside for longer, cant wait!!!

Would love to see some photos of anyone who has married anywhere in mauritius!

Hope to hear from you all.

Lyns
  • MAZZAukMAZZAuk Posts: 37
    Hi all

I'm getting married at the Le Canonnier hotel on 24th October 07. We are opting for a bbq buffet (which includes all the booze until 12pm), pre dinner cocktails & canapes, Sega dancers and DJ. So far we have 17 guests who have booked but are expecting 24. Would love to hear from anyone who has some advice or has been married at the Le Canonnier plus some see some pics.

Mary
  • Hi Domperignon

We're getting married at the Shandrani in aug 07!

13 of us so far and some children hence why we chose this hotel!

I've been told everything is on hold for when we get there and we have a day with the wedding planner deciding on flowers,photo's,reception etc

I just hope all goes to plan.

Good luck for yours anyone seen any pics of weddings at shandrani?image
  • Hi Mary,

I'm getting married at Legends next Aug and am trying to find a company that will organise a bbq buffet after the ceremony. Your receptio sounds great, just sort of thing we'd like. Can I ask who you're bookig through?

Thanks,

Becky