Gibraltar Wedding - HELP!

• JMJ77JMJ77 Posts: 1,287
    Lisa have a look at this for a guide on how to post pictures, good luck http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/chatroom/topic/145427

Oh Taffeta how excited must you and your dad be? Hope you get everything sorted, let us know how you get on.
  • swaussieswaussie Posts: 65
    Hi all,

Good to hear everyone's plans are going well.

Tafetta, hope you have an amazing time in Gib sorting everything out. Have a drink in the Lord Nelson pub for the rest of us image

I am just sorting out all the food and cake atm.

Went to the National wedding show in Birmingham a couple of weeks ago and got a great travel box for my dress from a company there.

http://www.boxedbridal.co.uk/

Also got a lot of great ideas.

/Bella
  • hi girls,

My daughter has just cancelled her Uk venue and is thinking of heading to Gib to get married.

The UK venue had been booked for just before Christmas, is it possible to get married in Gib over the Christmas holidays?

She's wondering if Easter may be better (she's a teacher so it has to be school holiday time)

Any input appreciated!
    Hey mumsal

Thought I'd leave the registry office email address for you [email protected] so you can contact them directly to find out if your daughter can get married at the times she would like.

Also have a look at this site, if you haven't already http://www.gibraltar.gov.uk/gettingMarried.php you'll find details of hotels,churchs and suppliers etc.

Hope that helps.

How is everyone else getting on with their plans, I can't believe we only have 82 days to go and I still haven't ordered the BM's dresses, best get my a*se in gear or the girls will have nothing to wear!!!
  • Thanks JMJ77 I've passed that on!

They're thinking of getting married next Summer and are looking at Mon-Calpe (I'm not too sure about that I hate heights!!!) or the Botanical Gardens. They also quite fancy St. Michael's caves for the reception. I've been set the task of researching venues and prices!!!

I'm sure I'll be here a lot more! lol
    Hi mumsal,

I suggest easter as you will probably struggle getting a date for Christmas so late. Book the registry office first, but ask them to not take the payment while you check for hotels at the same time and then see if any hotels are still available on the day. The registry office will be able to hold you a date for a few hours without taking any payment. Has she been to Gib?

Otherwise planning is going well. All the food including cake have been booked. Just got photographer, car, salon and music left to sort out now.

Just put up invites online for my hen party as some guests will have to travel from abroad so that gives them time to book tickets. I'm so excited, it's gonna be so fun! image

Hope all your plans are going well.

156 days to go...

/Bella
  • Thanks Bella,

She's looking now to Summer because one of the family only get a week for school hols at Easter and she is thinking she could do it next year instead of waiting 'till 2011 for Easter.

She has friends in Gib. and has been there a number of times, in fact that's where she got engaged last August!

This is one of the reasons she thought of Gib. as her friends will be able to help with the organisation.

Just got to decide on a date now!
  • Hi Bella! Looks like everyone has given great advice! I live in Malaga, Visit Gib alot for Scuba Diving! I got married in Mijas so can't help you much with the venue but I can with the band. I booked the tribute band and they were great fun actually! www.thetributeband.net

There are some amazing classical cars for hire in the malaga province, 1940's, 50's and limos. The link I have is in Spanish but if you can always hit the translate button on the google toolbar or have the URL translated with Babelfish.

www.bodas.net/coches-de-boda/coches-de-epoca-lauro-torre--e8071

Hope this helps! Best wishes xxx
  • ok so wedding is in August next year - now to tell the rest of the famiy!

Can anyone advise about accommodation, we had thought that if people were combining the wedding with their annual holiday that staying in Spain may be the better option (and keep some people out of the couple's hair. lol). Would it be easy to hire mini bus/coach to bring the guests into Gib for the wedding?
    Bolichera, which sites have you been diving in Gib? I have PADI AOW but not been in the waters around Gib yet. I've heard there are some relly good sites though. Do you recommend any specific dive center in Gib?

Mumsal, great news on the date being set! St Michaels cave sounds cool, the only thing I would be a bit worried about is the humidity and the water dripping everywhere. She has to be careful it does not drip on her dress or the cake. Ohterwise, great location. Both myself and H2B have been on a tour to lower St Michaels cave and that is something I definately recommend for another day. Absolutely an amazing adventure!

Five months left for me now and I can't wait! Still trying to figure out somthing to do inbetween lunch and dinner as we are getting married really early in the day so will need somthing to keep guests entertained inbetween but not too costly and only have 10 guests anyway.

• Ok girls, quick question.

Any guests attending the wedding will probably stay in Span, especially if they're incorporating the wedding with a family holiday. How difficult is is to get a bus load of guests from Spain into Gibraltar for the wedding - and back again?
    HI ladies

Great news about the date mumsal, I second Bella's concerns about the water in the caves, it was very wet when we went last August but worth asking them what they think. as it would be a stunning venue.

Bella how about this http://www.dolphinsafari.gi/excursions/

would be quite a cool thing to do and as there is a max of 12 people on the boat it would suit you guys perfectly. I would LOVE to do something like this image

Have a look here for some more ideas, still think a trip in the cable car in your wedding dress would be fab hee hee

Mumsal with regards to transporting the guests into Spain I can't see it being a problem, have you tried googling minibus hire or alternatively if they stayed in the Iberostar which is situated just outside the Gib border

http://www.iberostar.com/EN/Cadiz-hotels/Iberostar-City-Hotel-Campo-de-Gibraltar_3_38.html

the guests could walk through the border (which can be quicker sometimes with border control) then catch a cab from outside the airport or something to the venue OR try and organise a mini bus to pick them up from inside Gib. Also make sure they all remember to take their passports with them.

Not sure if that is of any help to either of you but just a few suggestions.
    JJ, did you know that they let you get married at the top cable car station now?

I have just had another look at one of my favourite Gib websites and they have added two more locations, one of them being the top cable car station. I so want to get married there now, would be so cool. But then again if the weather is bad it's not gonna be good. So gutted though.

http://www.gibraltar.gov.uk/gettingMarried.php

Dolphin trip sounds good although speedboat + wedding hair = mess?

Oh no I didn't, how cool! Iagine you could have monkeys as Bridesmaids, I'd be worried that they'd try and pull at my skirt or veil or something hee hee

Ah I'm sure the boat doesn't go that fast does it? I thought it was just a little chug along boat shame!

Happy Easter ladies hope you're enjoying the long weekend.
  • Hi Bella,

My daughter and her H2b have the cable car station on their list but can't find any uptodate photo's, the only ones they've found on line are beforfe last years refurbishment. Personally I'm hoping they don't choose it as I hate heights!!!

They are a bit concerned about the weather too, if it's low cloud you won't get any views at all image

Does anyone have any info on the dolphin watching?

Thanks
  • Hi girls,

does anyone know if you can have music at a ceremony in the Botanical Gardens?

Thanks
    Hi mumsal,

I have been up at the top cable car station when it was overcast and it was still a stunning view, the only thing was you can't see Africa. As long as it's not raining I think that will be a great location. Sorry, can't help on dolphin watching or music. I bet you can have music in the Alameda though.
  • alixcannalixcann Posts: 36
    Hi Ladies image

Im ssssooooo excited, Im getting married in gibraltar in 52 days!!!

Am currently living out here due to H2B in RAF. Worked as a travel agent out here for the past 2 years so if you have any questions I might be able to help.

Off to register the wedding tomorrow but hopefully wont be too much of an issue as we are getting married in Kings Chapel so dont have to book the registar!!Having the reception in The Eliott O'callaghan and have got about 60 people coming out from the uk. Cant believe how quickly it has come around and now Ive got some other people to talk to about it image

xxxx

Ooh another Gib bride, welcome image

52 days you must be excited I have 73 days to go and CAN'T WAIT!!!!

Where did you get your dress from in the end? I remember your post re dresses. Can we see it please?

Are you able to go on honeymoon after or does H2B have to stay at work?

Sorry for all the questions but we like to share on here x

We're getting married at the Caleta on 27th June have got pretty much everything sorted and most of our guests from the UK have booked up to come. We live in Malaga so are driving down on the Friday.

Here is my dress and I can't wait to wear it.

http://www.maggiesottero.com/dress.aspx?keywordText=michelle&line=m&keywordType=any&page=0&pageSize=12&style=A557

xxx
  • Hi girls,

Well, decisions are slowly being made!

At the moment we're looking at an ealy evening wedding in the gardens with champagne & canapes after followed by a beachside party to round off the evening!

My daughter's friends are coming to stay next bank holiday weekend so will be sent home with lots of instructions! lol.

We have booked an apartment in La Duquesa for the whole of the 6 week school hols so they will be able to chill out and visit with friends after the wedding (they're booking their honeymoon for the October half term). We're all getting quite excited, just got to sort dresses and suits now!
  • alixcannalixcann Posts: 36
    I am getting really excited image Just want to get my dress on aswell!!

I ended up getting my dress from Marbella, the big shopping centre there, they spoke really good english which made me feel more confortable coz I went to the Pronovias shop that they have in La linea and it was great and they were really helpful but I was so worried about something getting lost in translation!

I am wearing a La Sposa dress called fiesta which I find really difficult to get a good photo off on the internet coz it looks so much better in real life!!! When I go for my fitting I will try and get a pic up for you!JMJ77 your dress is beautiful!! did you get yours out here or from the uk?

We are off to Barcelona for our Honeymoon, thought we would take advantage whilst we are here!! and its no problem his getting the time off image

Mumsal, Duquesa is really lovely and a great base to either come down to Gib or to explore the rest of the costa image

Does anyone know where I can hire a wedding car from in Gib.....ive been looking everywhere and it seems to be a case of a friend of a friend...but all mine are coming to the wedding!!! It is silly really coz the church is about 2 mins away from the hotel but we are off to the gardens after to have some pics taken so we do really need it, and if we have it for that then i might aswell get my monies worth and have it to the church aswell!!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Mumsal sounds like it's all coming together so that is great, wow 6 weeks chilling here that sounds great.

Alixgib - Glad you managed to find a helpful shop to get your dress.

Your dress is gorgeous, I think most if not all dresses look better in the flesh compared to the photos.

I tried my dress on in the UK but ended up ordering it from America to save some money, never really thought about getting it here but also wanted my MOH to be with me when I went on my search.

Ooh Barcelona will be nice, just be very aware of pickpockets hun as it's renowned for them.

Can't help with the cars I'm afraid have you tried googling it? We don't have to worry about cars as marrying and having the reception in the same location.

Alixgib, Welcome image

Nice with one more Gib B2B. I'm so jealous of you who get to live out there. It is my H2B and my dream to be able to live there one day. We just gotta win the lottery first!

I'm looking for a wedding car too, so I'll let you know the details when I find one. We need one to go from the hotel to the registry office and then from the registry office to the Alameda gardens for photos.

Going on holiday to Jersey with my mum and gran in two weeks time for lots of VAT free wedding shopping image

Have any of you seen "Don't tell the bride" on BBC three? They get £12000 for the wedding if the groom plans EVERYTHING and no comunication with the bride is allowed. Scary but still funny.

Hope all your planning is going well. image
  • Quoted:

Mumsal, Duquesa is really lovely and a great base to either come down to Gib or to explore the rest of the costa image

Does anyone know where I can hire a wedding car from in Gib.....ive been looking everywhere and it seems to be a case of a friend of a friend...but all mine are coming to the wedding!!! It is silly really coz the church is about 2 mins away from the hotel but we are off to the gardens after to have some pics taken so we do really need it, and if we have it for that then i might aswell get my monies worth and have it to the church aswell!!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks for that, I've never been to Duquesa so it's nice to hear it's lovely!

My daugter's friends are coming to visit next bank holiday so I will get her to ask about wedding cars becuse they had one! As soon as I know I will post here.

She wants to tell them face to face that they are getting married in Gib so she can see their reaction so I can't get her to ask before then!
  • I have got a wedding car booked through a wedding planner , she will do just little bits like flowers or car or the whole lot , if you want her e-mail for car i can give you it , we are having reception at Bianca's overlooking the marina , hope you get sorted ok think we have everything in place but can nayone remember where to get boxes for wedding dress on airplane , thanks Lisa
  • Hi Lisa,

Can't remember the name of the company that some girls have used but others have bought thiers from ebay - always a great source! There are also companies on ebay who sell extra long dress covers if you are lucky enough to be able to carry your dress to be stored by the stewards.

HTH
    Hi I can't remember where I got my travel box from, but just google wedding travel box and you get a lot of diferent companies.
  • Hi girls,

found this pdf file for the newly refurbished Cable Car station complete with prices thought it may interest some of you who were thinking of getting married at the top of the rock.

http://www.mhbland.com/pdf/Mons-Calpe-Suite-2007.pdf

HTH
  • Thank goodness there are other Gib brides out there! I am getting married in Gib in July 2010 at St. Bernard's Church followed by photos in the Alameda Gardens and a reception in the Mons Calpe Suite.

The PDF for the Mons Calpe is out of date. I went out to Gib in November last year when they were refurbishing the suite. The new suite was due for completion in April this year. The price has also gone up to reflect the refurbishment - it is now £100 per hour instead of £150 for 3 hours.

I am going out to Gib in May to view the new suite and pay deposits to suppliers etc. From speaking to Stephanie at the Mons Calpe that the new suite is going to be fantastic with its own balcony and a new entrance. Can't wait!!
  • Thank goodness there are other Gib brides out there! I am getting married in Gib in July 2010 at St. Bernard's Church followed by photos in the Alameda Gardens and a reception in the Mons Calpe Suite.

The PDF for the Mons Calpe is out of date. I went out to Gib in November last year when they were refurbishing the suite. The new suite was due for completion in April this year. The price has also gone up to reflect the refurbishment - it is now £100 per hour instead of £150 for 3 hours.

I am going out to Gib in May to view the new suite and pay deposits to suppliers etc. From speaking to Stephanie at the Mons Calpe that the new suite is going to be fantastic with its own balcony and a new entrance. Can't wait!!