Gibraltar Wedding - HELP!

• helenm79helenm79 Posts: 88
    Just back from Gibraltar, did all the paperwork as only 3 months away now. wedding is 4th August. Vanessa at the registry office is a total star. Staying at the Caleta, but didnt get a chance to go visit it; is it nice??!

• JMJ77JMJ77 Posts: 1,287
    Hey Andaluciabide Bet you are glad to get all that sorted.

Well as you may have read we are getting married at the Caleta and we loved it from the moment we walked in the door, it was the 1st and only venue we visited as we liked it that much. So I guess you can say yes it's nice image

How are the rest of your plans coming along? x
  • LISAM696969LISAM696969 Posts: 33
    I've tried to upload photo but can't get it to work , i'm really useless but dress is a rosetta nicolini skirt and bodice , ivory and quite plain skirt but with a train about 1 foot behind me but really straight down , i'm just worried it will make it look to much i'm going for simple look , have got confirmation of reception at biancas and when we go it should be midsummer week on gib i think so there will be bands on hopefully in casmates square
  • helenm79helenm79 Posts: 88
    Im having a blessing in a rural farmhouse near Comares, has anyone else been there, its really beautiful. image

Then Gibraltar for the legal bit in the registrar's and staying at Caleta. Havent been thinking about the Gib bit too much as have been wrapped up with planning the blessing but am getting excited now i have been there! planning to go on a dolphin watching trip after ceremony. xxxx
  • swaussieswaussie Posts: 65
    Hi.

I'm now trying to find a white rolls royce somewhere in Gib, any tips or ideas? Have only found the two cars I told you guys about earlier, so the jag is my plan B. Help!
  • alixcannalixcann Posts: 36
    Bella_gib_Bride, I have found a white merc and a rolls royce but im not sure what colour it is and havent seen either yet.

Am off to see the merc tomorrow and if thats no good then will go for the rolls! It does all seem to be a bit dodgy thou coz I went and asked for the Jag coz I really wanted it but it is already booked

image So asked the dealer if he knew of anything else and he was like yea go to this club and ask for the owner and hes got a rolls!! All sounds a bit lock stock if you ask me! But thats what you get here I suppose!!!

Ill let you know if I get any more info xx
    Alix, what were the cars like? Who will drive it if you get it from the club owner?
    Alixgib just wondered if you knew anywhere in Gib that sells helium?

Andaluciabride, never been to Comares but I'm sure it is lovely. I would love to do the dolphin watch but will have to save that for another day.

49 days to go whoop whoop!!!!
  • alixcannalixcann Posts: 36
    Im getting Married in 4 weeeeeekkkksssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and still dont have a car!!! The Jag is lovely, really really a nice car. The citreon is a very classic type looking car and very nice aswell if you like that kind of thing, and I can imagin it with all the ribbons would be really romantic.

Tried to go and see the merc and that was just a palava from the start! due to misscommunations on both parts with agency and my h2b...(the only thing ive asked him to do!!) just didnt seem to come together, so we have complety abandoned the hole idea of a proper car and we are going to ask someone to take us!!!

Bella_gib_bride, I dont know who would drive it, i would imagin the person who owns it, but we havent explored that route coz i dont think we trust it.

JMJ77, i dont know if they sell helium to buy, but i know that Terrys on Irish town does helium ballons, what do you need helium for?
    Oh Alixgib you must be soooooooooooo excited image I hope you come back and share your pics with us!

I want the helium so we can all have funny voices throughout the day, thought it would be fun hee hee No seriously I have bought some balloons that need filling, maybe I will ask the hotel if they have any and if not might have to visit Terry's to see if I can buy some from them. In the UK you can hire a small canister from Clintons etc so may that place will do the same.

Sounds like a right pain re the cars, glad we don't need one!
  • Hi girls,

Can you tell me if you need a 'certificate of non impediment' to marry in Gibraltar?

If so, what is it and where do you get it from?

Is it like posting the notice at the registry office, it has to be posted for a certain length of time then the registry office writes a certificate or am I completely in the wrong ball park?

Do you still need one if you have a special license?

Sorry for all the questions but in all the 'get married in Gibraltar' sites we've read, like My Gibraltar etc., there's been no mention of this so haven't researched it!

Thank you.

Oh, if we do need one, how much does it cost?
    Mumsal from the info I have unless your daughter isn't a UK national then no she doesn't. I will need to email you the info as it is 7 pages long!!!
  • Quoted:
    Mumsal from the info I have unless your daughter isn't a UK national then no she doesn't. I will need to email you the info as it is 7 pages long!!!

Thank you, you have mail!
    No worries, you should have the document now image
  • Kel-lou1980Kel-lou1980 Posts: 44
    Hi ladies

I am off to Gib in the morning to see the newly refurbished Mons Calpe Suite. We also have appointments with the Rock Hotel, the Alameda Gardens, the photographer, the florist and the lady making our wedding cake!!! It is going to be a busy week!! Hopefully we will get some time to chill out and do a bit of shopping.

JMJ77 would you be able to email me the 7 page document that you have. I am really confused as we are having a church wedding so we have paperwork for that. But I understand that we have to do other paperwork to get the special licence!!

Will let you all know how the trip goes when we get back at the weekend.
    Busy busy busy then Kelly99, it's been a lovely day here in Malaga so hope the sun is shining for you guys in Gib for the week.

Of course I will send you the document no probs.

Out of interest who is your photographer?
    Hi JMJ77

We have gone with John at the Photo Centre. I emailed a few photographers in Gibraltar - some didn't reply and some didn't want to work a long day (we want the photographer for the day and night)!!!!

John always gets back to me. The work on his website looks good. The hotels we have contacted all use him. He has given us a good price for the day and we are taking all the photos away on disc to print ourselves.
    Oh cool as he seems to be the photographer who works for our hotel and is included in our package, I only found this out the other day as there is a new link on the hotel website.

I had a nose at some of the pics on there and they look great so really pleased about that as was a little worried having not chosen one myself! You'll have to let us know how you get on.

You should have that document now.

Right I must go to bed. Have a great time in Gib and I hope you get everything sorted xxx
  • Can I ask ladies, are any of you using a wedding planner?

We were just wondering if everything can be done at a distance or if it helps to have someone 'on the case' as it were a little nearer?
  • MrsSalt2bMrsSalt2b Posts: 46
    Hi Ladies,

What a small world JMJ77 - getting married at the Caleta and honeymooning in Barbados! Just planning a very chilled out honeymoon, it will be the first time in 9 years that we have been away on our own - always have had friends/family in tow! Cannot wait!! We met on holiday though - and they say that holiday romances don't last!!

Off shopping (yes and dragging H2B with me) for final bits and pieces - want to make sure that everything is in place.

What arrangements have you made for your hair and make up at the Caleta? I have a hair appointment on the day of the wedding - slightly nervous that they will be able to recreate the style that I am going for, albeit it is simple. Have not done anything about make up though??

37 days to go!!!! image

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    Mumsal I'm not using a wedding planner as such but to be fair all the bits like flowers, photography, hair and makeup are included in our package so not really much else to plan, so can't really help you on that one!

MrsSalt2b yes a very small world, if you get a chance you will have to let me know who it goes.

Ah a holiday romance how sweet, I know another couple who meet on holiday and they have been together 20 odd years so pah to anyone who says they don't work!

My hair and makeup are included in the package and to be honest I'm not sure how it's going to turn out hee hee. I'll probably bring along some pics to show how I want my hair and I've bought an eyeshadow and lipstick I liked when I had a make over last week so will get them to use those and I don't really wear much make up so not to bothered about it, is that bad!! Maybe I'm all a bit too relaxed about it hmmm

Anyway we have to go to see the registrar which we will do at the beginning of June and I intend to go and have a chat with the relevant people at the hotel as well as have a little taste of vino and grub YAY

Have fun shopping, have you got much else to get? I think we are pretty much sorted well I hope so anyway!

44 days to go and I can't wait woo hoo

xxx
  • Hello,

I've been redirected to this thread. Getting married next April in Gib as its all a bit complicated in Spain but hopefully getting a blessing in Malaga. Does anyone know any good bridesmaid dress shops in Malaga or Gibraltar?

I'm really pleased that everyone seems pretty positive about La Caleta as that is where I would like to get married. Hopefully going over soon to check it all outimage
    Hey Flamfla welcome, do you live in Spain then? There are a few wedding dress shops in the centre of Malaga down the side streets etc but as to whether they are any good, I can't tell you because I have ordered mine online.

When are you planning to go to Gib to see the Caleta?

• LISAM696969LISAM696969 Posts: 33
    I am using a wedding planner as she seemed to be able to get the cake , car photographer and meal at a lot less than i could after ringing round and e-mailing even though i know gibraltar fairly well , I think sher has saved me a good £6-700 pound and she seems to be really good too and easily accessible always answers e-mails and phone calls if you want her details i can give you them, lisa
  • No I don't live in Spain but my parents and my sister does. I'm having real dilemmas over getting married in Gib as being half Spanish I would love a typical "Spanish Wedding". Also I have Spanish relatives who are not keen on Gibraltar.

Hope to go over soon. Say June or July. Once I've been I might feel better about the whole thing.

Even thinking of getting married here now and briging in Spaish caterers.

Stressed Bride 2B!!!
    Hi Ladies

We got back from Gibraltar this afternoon - everything went well. We have paid the deposit for the Mons Calpe Suite (which looks fantastic - we can't wait until next year) and decided what we want in the Alameda Gardens. We are having drinks at the main entrance with more drinks at the Prince of Wales summerhouse and photographs in the Dell. Stephanie, the lady in charge of the Mons Calpe Suite gave me a contact for wedding cakes and she can do exactly what we want. We also went to see the florist to decide what we want. And finally we have paid the deposit to the photographer. We won't be going back to Gibraltar until next May when we have to do our paperwork and pay all the suppliers.

JMJ77 thanks for the document.

Mumsal I have done all the planning for our wedding myself through email. If suppliers want deposits you could pay on your credit card over the phone if you aren't able to get to Gib.

Hi Ladies

We got back from Gibraltar this afternoon - everything went well. We have paid the deposit for the Mons Calpe Suite (which looks fantastic - we can't wait until next year) and decided what we want in the Alameda Gardens. We are having drinks at the main entrance with more drinks at the Prince of Wales summerhouse and photographs in the Dell. Stephanie, the lady in charge of the Mons Calpe Suite gave me a contact for wedding cakes and she can do exactly what we want. We also went to see the florist to decide what we want. And finally we have paid the deposit to the photographer. We won't be going back to Gibraltar until next May when we have to do our paperwork and pay all the suppliers.

JMJ77 thanks for the document.

Mumsal I have done all the planning for our wedding myself through email. If suppliers want deposits you could pay on your credit card over the phone if you aren't able to get to Gib.

Hi.

H2B managed to book the jag for our day! image Although they said if we want a ribbon on it to contact the florist, doesn't that sound a bit strange?

Mumsal, we have a wedding planner at the hotel, she is very good and finds quotes and answers to all our questions so it feels a lot better than if we were to do everything ourselves.

Regarding documents for the registry office, we rang them up and asked them exactly what documents we needed. Only needed passport and birth certificate (for UK) and passport, personal certificate/birth certificate & some kind of proof of single status (for non UK). When we booked our day they had a look through our documents and said as long as we bring them all again at least 24hrs before the wedding then that's all we need. Hope that helps.

Flamfla is it not possible for you to have the typical Spanish wedding you would like then?

Kelly99 sounds like you are all pretty much sorted which is fab news and no worries about the document hope it helped.

Bella it does sound a little strange re the ribbon, surely the owner of the car could purchase some ribbon although I must say from what has been said re the cars on here the set up all sounds a bit strange! At least you have it booked now x

Have a great weekend ladies x

43 days to go Whoop whoop!
    Hi Ladies

I agree with you all about the wedding cars!! I have tried to organise a car myself which has been a nightmare. We have decided that we are going through a third party as our contract will be with her should anything go wrong (she has a range of cars available). She has given us a price for multiple transfers from the hotel to the church and the price includes driver, ribbons etc.