Wedding in the Maldives

Hi, I am completely new to this!

Me and my blokie got engaged at Christmas!! Yay!!! We have decided that we definately want to get married abroad and have fallen in love with an island in the Maldives. One problem - I dont think we can get married there.

I'm wondering if it is possible to get married on one island but stay on another......... please excuse my niavity but I really haven't got a clue how it all works!

Has anybody got any experience with this? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

xxx

• Hi Eccy, congratulations! We also wanted to get married in the Maldives, but I'm pretty sure it's not legally recognised as a marriage, you can only renew vows there. We opted to get married, kind of nearby, in Sri Lanka instead and honeymoon in the Maldives. Hope that helps xx
  • Hi Eccy,

Firstly congratulations.

Unfortunately you cant get married in the Maldives as its a Muslim country.

We got married in Mauritius in december-its beautiful so you might want to consider that.

Mel xxx
  • KristyukKristyuk Posts: 897
    Hi,

We're getting married in the Maldives but doing the official paperwork before we go as you can't legally do it in the Maldives. The hotel where we're staying (the Hilton) offers a wedding ceremony which we will treat as our proper ceremony and not wear rings etc until then. We were really set on the Maldives and at first didn't like the idea that it wasn't actually a legally binding ceremony, but then got over it and decided it's quite good that we don't have to worry about all the paperwork there!
  • jimmyvwjimmyvw Posts: 144
    Hi I am also new to this! My partner proposed to me in the maldives last summer and we also were hoping to marry there but we are not sure how it can be done.

kKerry