Cyprus vs Lindos - Rhodes - Help!

Hi all

I am new to these boards as very recently engaged (exciting!) - very much want a wedding abroad - max 25 guests - want a great lovely chill out relaxed day.

Probably wont be until June 2011 but I am keen to decide on a venue as early as I can.

I am keen on Lindos as the wedding location of St Pauls bay looks great - seen a great hotel Lindos Blu and its nice there but also plenty of tavernas and some bars for evening but I dont believe there are particularly nice beaches there - I might be wrong though.

Paphos seems relatively easy to get married - ceremony in english - no need to translate docs - less residency time - nice beaches but I have never been anywhere in Cyprus and I am a little concerned it might be really lively, i keep seeing stuff about bar/club street near hotels and I wouldnt particularly want that if its club 18-30 type of thing as I want to try and cater for all my family.

I would really appreciate any comments / ideas.

Much appreciated!

Vicky :\)

• MrsHyland2bMrsHyland2b Posts: 1,845
    Hi Vicky, I've only just started planning for our wedding abroad in 2011 too, it soooooo confusing! We have just spent a year planning a wedding in kent so it's all change and my head is spinning! LOL! We are looking at simmilar numbers with very simmilar requirements except a civil ceremony, from what I can gather the coral bay end of cyprus is much quieter than hotels closer to paphos town centre and the beaches look lovely. I am however very confused by all the lovely photos of weddings at Nissi beach, they look amazing but Aiyna Apa (sp?!) isn't somewhere that jumps to my mind for a quiet wedding.... so many options! I've just had a quote back about a restaurant in Paphos that's highly reccommended on here so have a nosey at my thread and let me know if you want any more info. I've also had a quote back from Zucchini's which is in the Paphos area but it's a little over my budget, looks amazing though.

Good luck hun! x
  • Smiggle35Smiggle35 Posts: 58
    Quoted:
    Hi all

I am new to these boards as very recently engaged (exciting!) - very much want a wedding abroad - max 25 guests - want a great lovely chill out relaxed day.

Probably wont be until June 2011 but I am keen to decide on a venue as early as I can.

I am keen on Lindos as the wedding location of St Pauls bay looks great - seen a great hotel Lindos Blu and its nice there but also plenty of tavernas and some bars for evening but I dont believe there are particularly nice beaches there - I might be wrong though.

I would really appreciate any comments / ideas.

Much appreciated!

Vicky :\)

Hi there, I got married in Lindos in September last year and stayed at the Lindos Blu which was only partially open at the time (we'd been upgraded from the Lindos Mare next door as we were having our wedding at the hotel). We got married in the gardens of the hotel rather than St Paul's though - but it was perfect. I can't recommend the hotel highly enough - the rooms are spectacular!!! The wedding coordinator in the Lindos Mare (named Efi) is brilliant and will do anything to make your wedding perfect. We had our reception there in their purpose built room overlooking the bay - stunning!!!

As for beaches, most of them are quite pebbly but the beach right in front of Lindos Blu is gorgeous - very sandy - and they have a waiter service for guests!! Plenty of sun loungers too.

When we went, the Lindos Blu hadn't fully opened and so we ate in the adjoining Lindos Mare hotel which is also beautiful with completely amazing staff. I honestly can't praise this place enough. If you can afford to stay there, please do, you will not regret it!!

• vicky22ukvicky22uk Posts: 94
    Thanks for that, il take a look at your thread. It really is confusing - i know excatly what you mean about Ayia Napa - i keep seeing beautiful hotels but puts me off as i want a great place with tavernas and great bars but not loads of clubs.

Thanks for info!!

Best of luck
    Hi Smiggle

Oh im glad you stayed at Lindos Blu - and glad it sounds as amazing as it looks! Partner really wants to stay there and i figure although it is fairly pricey - we would have spent more on a honeymoon to Jamaica or somewhere if we were having a UK wedding. Sounds good u can get married in the grounds as I really want a civil ceremony as we are not religious, and although i think this is possible at St Pauls overlooking the bay (which looks lovely) it IS next to a chapel and I cant be sure what I feel about that yet, having a civil ceremony next to a chapel....

Good to hear about the beach - I am not overly fussy about it, and to be honest most of my guests i think prefer swimming pools and there are lots of things around Lindos/Rhodes to do but so long as there is a fairly nice beach thats good enought for me.

Vicky, that was exactly my reasoning for spending that much on the hotel. If we'd gotten married at home and then forked out for a 2 week honeymoon somewhere gorgeous it would have cost us WAAAAY more overall than it did. It's not every holiday that includes your wedding...so go for it and splash out!

If you stay at the Lindos Blu, take some CDs with you as there is a sound system built into the room with speakers in the ceilings so that the music also plays in the bathroom - I was like a kid with a new toy when I realised! You can also plug an iPod into it, but for some reason you can't select the song to play, it just plays your whole collection from the top. Anyway......I'm sooooo jealous!!!

We had planned to go back for our first anniversary this year, but I'm due to have our first baby in 4 days instead! And since it's an adults only hotel...it's now out of the question. But we'll definitely go back to the Lindos Mare...as a family image
  • I havent read all of these coz I get too jealous of people having their weddings in Lindos. I have been going there since I was just a little girl and I have to say you couldn't be more wrong about there not being nice beaches!!!!

the only thing I would say is the reason Im not getting married there. I have spent many an hour sitting on St Pauls beach watching hundreds of brides getting married outside the chapel. It can be like a conveyor belt, Ive seen brides queing at the top of the hill waiting for the wedding before them to finish so they can go down for theirs. This has totally ruined the magic for me : (
    Smiggle

Congratulations!!! you must be very happy. You will have a great time at Lindos Mare im sure with baby!

Oh it sounds better all the time - im really keen on staying there if we go for Lindos. How far away is it from Lindos - walkable? We usuall walk most places on holiday so a bit of a stretch wont bother me and guess can get a taxi back if it is a dark road at night.

Also, am i right in remembering that Lindos is fairly chill out, tavernas bars, maybe a club i guess but not a really lively resort (club 18-30 style) i want great tavernas and nice bars which i love about greece - but anything with a club street is not for this holiday.
  • bex332bex332 Posts: 178
    another alternative is wedding on private beach of Lindos Memories hotel - that's what we're doing! x
    Lauren

I have heard that elsewhere about conveyer belt weddings - im a little anxious about this - i guess would be better if have the first or last wedding of the day but bet they are already booked! To be honest im pretty casual about the actual wedding as we are fairly informal so if we all have to wait a little while i guess i wouldnt mind (i say that - but of course if it happened to me i wouldnt like it so much)

I would consider getting married at a hotel gardens aswell.

Good to hear you say beaches are nice.

I have only every been 1 day when i was a teenager and cant remember that much and we ddint go to a beach so i wasnt so sure.

thanks
    Bex - Lindos Memories does sound good - i didnt realise they had a private beach - could be a very possible option.

Are you booked with an organiser or tour operator - i was orinially going going to go with a tour operator but i have seen that most peple are organising themselves?
    oh and after reading loads on tripadvisor.co.uk lindos does seem laid back with some good bars but not 18-30s style - there's faliraki for that at the other end of the island x
    through Lindos Weddings. They're the preferred planners for LindosMemories apparently and have been brilliant. Theres a pathway too for me to walk to the beach where I wont have to walk past people in the swimming costumes!

http://www.mitsishotels.com/Hotels/lindos-memories-resort-beach-hotel/image-gallery_108.htm

http://www.lindosweddings.co.uk/
    Vicky, it's not really walkable to the centre of Lindos. We usually got a taxi which cost 5 Euros - but there is also a bus stop right outside the hotel, although they seem to run to their own timetable!

The nightlife is just what you're after. No big clubs that I was aware of (although my younger brother managed to find himself in a club until 5am one morning!), mostly nice pubs and tavernas and restaurants. It's not a big "strip" of pubs either, it's a maze of little cobbled walkways so we were always discovering different pubs we hadn't seen before. If you prefer something a bit more commercial, Pefkos is a short taxi ride in the other direction and is more touristy with a lot of pubs and restaurants along a main street - still lovely though!

The "conveyor belt" effect was what put us off getting married at St Paul's - and I'm really glad we had our ceremony in the gardens.

oh and you don't have to stay at Memories or have your reception there if you don't want x
    bex - i am on Lindos Memories website now and on tripadviser - looks lovely! Do you know if it is close to lindos centre or a long walk away. the beach looks lovely dosent it!? and glad you said about the walkway - i originally wanted to get married on a beach - no shoes and all that - but thought i didnt want to be next to sunbathers, but the pathway sounds great.

dhave Lindosweddings booked everything for you incuding stay at hotel - do you mind me asking if the price ok?
    yes the price was brilliant actually. without the outfits, holidays and flowers, it well under 5,000 including meals for 50 people (though we're having our reception at nefeli beach taverna because reception at lindos memories is 80 euro per adult but nefeli is 28 per head and has a dancefloor.

I dont think its within walking distance of lindos village tho - about 7 euro for taxis I read on tripadvisor

you're best off emailing lindos weddings though for all the prices because you might want different things to us x