Forum home Weddings abroad

Can you use your own vows at paphos registry office??

hi

getting married at paphos town hall next september in a civil ceremony. I am aware that the service will be short and in english and that the vows differ slightly to what ours are here in the UK.

What i want to know is whether (after you have said the vows and statement required by cypriot law) you can also have some of your own vows??? or is this not allowed??

also can anyone who is or has been married at paphos town hall (recently) tell me the wording of the vows. I did see some posts somewhere else with people saying what they THOUGHT the vows were (and saying that they were a few years old!!!!)

I am also planning wedding myself so cannot consult planner or my tour operator for the details.

Many thanks

• Hiya, I would recommend getting in touch with the town hall itself and asking them so you know for sure.

• cyprusncyprusn Posts: 355
    these are the words and vows that will be said during a civil ceremony.here are the words that are said at a civil ceremony in Cyprus, oh and don't forget it will all be said in a dodgy greek accent !!!!

Marriage Officer:

'You .... & ..... know that by your simultaneous consent which is given publicly of the persons now here, accept each other as your lawful spouse and with the confirmation of this fact by your signature you contract a lawful marriage for all the purposes of civil law. You should further know that your marriage cannot be dissolved during your lifetime, except by a valid judgement of a court. If either of you - before the death of the other - contracts a marriage while this one remains undissolved you will thereby be guilty of bigamy & liable to the consequences provided by the law.'

Groom & Bride:

"I call upon all persons here present to witness that I ... accept you ... as my lawful spouse, to love & share with you from this day moments of joy and sorrow, wealth & poverty, happiness & unhappiness throughout our life until death do separate us."

Marriage Officer:

'On the basis of equality, you should face together all the problems & all the difficulties of life. Together you should shoulder the burdens of marriage each one according to your capabilities. You have both the right & obligation to take care of the upbringing & education of your children so that they may become useful citizens & free personalities.

Please exchange your rings.

You are joined together by your free consent in matrimony, you owe each other love, fidelity & respect throughout your life. This marriage constitutes a fulfillment of your life and links your destinies on good & rainy days, in happiness & unhappiness, in wealth & poverty, until death do separate you.

As from this moment I pronounce you man & wife.

You may kiss the bride!'

I know that you can have poems or readings, so I would assume that you can have your owns vows as well, but as butterfly said, email the town hall, they will confirm for you

hth

cyprusn
  • ok, when i emailed them to sort out the date and time for the wedding (the municipality of paphos website says you can reserve the date and time you want in advance even though you have to do the license etc when u arrive) the english in the email sent back wasn't fantastic and I had to ask them several times in several emails whether they could provide members of their own staff to act as witnesses, do wonder if they'll even grasp what i'm going on about to be fair.

no disrespect to anyone here who may be from cyprus!!
  • MrsHyland2bMrsHyland2b Posts: 1,845
    Great to know what the vows are cyrusun, you little treasure you! I'm pretty sure my planner said no variations of addition to town hall ceremonies when I asked though. Shame as the ones above don't exactly sound written with love do they?! x
  • thats probably what they say about ours .

• We were married in Paphos and when we did our paperwork at the town hall we asked about readings etc and were told it was fine. BUT the registrar on the day seemed to know nothing about this and you can hear me on the video saying 'what about the reading??' so I would make sure the best man reminds the registrar when they arrive before the service.