Forum home Weddings abroad

Wedding Abroad Brides. Gift List or Not?

Hi everyone, never really thought of doing one as getting married abroad so was just happy at people coming out with us.

But then you get the people who can't make it wanting to get you something and even people that are coming want to buy something, I've said i'm just happy they are coming but they really want to get something.

So was just wondering what everyone else is doing?

Thank you x

• hmmmmmm not really thought about this yet...

hows your planning coming along mrs higgins to be? x
  • jorosiepjorosiep Posts: 334
    Quoted:
    Hi everyone, never really thought of doing one as getting married abroad so was just happy at people coming out with us.

But then you get the people who can't make it wanting to get you something and even people that are coming want to buy something, I've said i'm just happy they are coming but they really want to get something.

So was just wondering what everyone else is doing?

Thank you x

Hi,

My H2B and I are planning on asking for Thomas Cook vouchers for the gift list, if anyone asks. My brother did this although he got married in the UK and he and his wife were given enough to go away on holiday for a week the summer after they got married. It is an easy present and won't take up too much room in suitcases!

Jo.
  • aj10baj10b Posts: 468
    hi girls

i am getting married in 7 weeks abroard and its just the 2 of us.

i have made a wedding list online but am only giving it to people if they ask.i just feel embarrased when they ask what i want as you never know how much they intend to spend.so i thought making a list was the best option.

we have had a couple of presents already that arent on the list which i think is lovely.x
  • We arent having a list as nothing we really need that much for the house as we've already lived together for 3 years............we've asked people to contribute towards our Bali trip if they want to do something for us. Definitely a tricky one when you're going abroad but people will normally still want to bring a present of some sort so worth giving them some options so you dont end up with stuff you dont want or need!! Holiday vouchers sound like a good option, we're just giving people details of the travel agent etc so they can contribute directly, then we'll get a breakdown of who has done what.....
  • BambagirlBambagirl Posts: 7,506
    Yes, I would go with vouchers (or cash even?) - just don't distribute one of those awful poems!

Have a lovely wedding!

Bamba xx
  • Poems are one of those love or hate things so you need to know how your guests will respond to it - personaslly we have used one though I do think there are some pretty rubbish ones around and took a while to find a decent one, my (old fashioned) dad liked ours and helped alter it to say what we wanted and its gone down well so far!
  • We havent got a gift list, were just having an intimate wedding abroad and 2b honest hadnt even thought about it! not really expecting anything from anyone whos comming or not, we live together already&have done for 4 years so got everything we need really anyway, if people ask we prob will just say money towards a proper honeymoon for us, didnt want to seem greedy tho coz were getting married abroad and expectin a honeymoon lol may even ask for vouchers now, some people may prefer giving these to cash xx
  • sunshinecmdsunshinecmd Posts: 1,388
    Hi thanks for your replies, vouchers are probably the safest. As we too have everything for our flat, don't expect anything to be honest but some people won't except that lol.

Planning is going okay don't seem to have done much in ages though, but I'm sure we'll all be busy in the new year.
  • LAuk1LAuk1 Posts: 175
    Hi MrsHigginsto be, I haven't been on here for a while but I got married last September and we had about 60 guests and not everyone brought a gift (and some of them were really close friends). I think some people were under the impression that because they were spending the money coming out to our wedding they weren't expected to bring a gift. I was just glad they came to be honest but I'm so glad I didn't put out a gift list x
  • We've got a gift list for cash set up with ourwishingwell.com and the link's on our wedding website (which is on all our invites for both our wedding in Italy and our reception here) but I have said very clearly that I don't expect anything as a lot of people are making a big effort to come! It's just that if they do want to give us anything I'd rather it was cash than just buying us something we don't want! Hope that doesn't sound rude!
  • We just said for those invited to our wedding abroad "Your presence is present enough so please don't buy us any gifts" for our wedding party when we got home we did a "poem" (borrowed from this site) stating that the guests "presence was present enough, don't worry what to buy us as we have plenty of stuff but if you really want to buy a gift a John Lewis voucher would be lovely thank you" Most people bought us vouchers and a couple of people who came to our wedding abroad did but most didn't - hope this helps.

My friend gets married in April and is also using the poem,
  • Hop11Hop11 Posts: 1,404
    We were actually talking about this today as need to put info on our invites...

Think we are going to go for cash or vouchers, h2bs cousin got married in new york as they asked for virgin vouchers as they travel alot.

They said it is better to put something about gifts, if people want to buy something, as otherwise everyone just contacts you asking anyway....so we are going to put some info in i think...
  • kelly162bkelly162b Posts: 1,793
    i didnt do a gift list , i felt too cheeky to do it especially after my guests soent so much coming over for the wedding.
  • our invites have gone out and we didnt put anything about gifts in them.

We feel that as so many are preparing to come to cyprus we shouldnt and dont feel the need to ask for gifts. If that makes any sense. x
  • We're not putting in a gift list but we have a wedding website and we'll put info on there - vouchers for honeymoon. We figure this way means if people want to look and have a dig round the site for info well and good, but it's not being rammed down throats. Like you ladies we're just grateful that our guests are making the effort to travel.
  • we put a letter in with our invites and said that as they had kindly taken time to come out with us that we did not wish for presents but if people wished we would like a lottery ticket and a picture of themselves, so we could remember them and hopefully be lucky with the ticket!!!
  • We have used the thomas cook wedding gift list service, then people can contribute to the wedding itself if they wish, my partner and i hav lived together for 6 years and hav 3 children together so there is nothing we need!

The thomas cook service is good because you can use it 2wards the holiday, wedding or change it to currency to use whilst there. Most people so far hav said its a good idea as they wouldn't know wot to get us ne way!