Forum home Weddings abroad

wedding in the snow

I am planning our wedding for this december in Zermatt in Switzerland.. ah soooooo excited! has anyone ever been to or is planning a wedding in the snow....?? tips, advice?

need to book venue first but thinking about colours and how to keep it in the winter theme, any suggestions would be muchly appreciated xx

[Modified by: tashjh on 18 January 2010 19:45:21 ]

• Hop11Hop11 Posts: 1,404
    I did write you a very long reply, but the website ate it...

We are getting married in Zell am See, Austria. We are both snowboarders and wanted to get married in a resort we knew would be good for us and the guests who do and dont take part in ski related activities - important to remember not all your guests will be into skiing, some might prefer other things, make sure these are available in the resort.

Have you already booked you wedding/hotel etc?? Because if not, you might struggle if you want later December I am surprised you havent booked a venue yet, we booked ours for next Feb back in November. Brochures are already out for ski/winter holidays and bookings wil already be being made - most people book next years ski trip as soon as they come back from this years. Also some hotels will only have one wedding a day as they know people will stay there etc. Also alot of hotels will only do their wedding package if you are staying there for the whole week.

Earlier in December there might not be as much snow, alot of the snow doesnt fall into the Alps until mid December (in the towns and on the lower slopes I mean)

If you havent already you need to find out what papers etc you need, and find out if there is a registrar where you want to get married that will marry you and what days, in Austria, where we are geting married they only do weddings on Tues, Wed and Thurs.

Also, if you there is snow and its December, I very much doubt you need to go down the route of a theme - its more stuff to lug out there with you, and as with the uk, hotels etc will be decorated for xmas. These places are beautiful and dont need adding to. If you really want a "theme" then I would go for reds/christmassy, but thats up to you.

Think about what colour dress you want, do you want white? think about if it will stand out in your pictures. I have found a white dress i like but have found a dark blue wedding dress so it will stand out in the photos. I would base you "theme" around that, if you really wnat one.

Really, if you havent already you need to get in touch with a wedding planner or a company who will be prepared to book/coordinate things for you.
  • ElSebukElSebuk Posts: 842
    Ooh - I would soooo have a deep red/green/blue velvet cape with a hood!

Not hugely helpful, but sooo romantic!!
  • tashjctashjc Posts: 5
    sounds like you'll have a fantastic wedding and snow boarding after will be brill!

starting the ball rolling with venues and have a couple of hotels that also have a chapel or are close to one, yeah you're right about the christmas rush and we are thinking around then 12th or mayb even now end of feb next year..... depending on prices?!

looking into the papers/legal part at the mo. cant believe how many things there are to think about, but venue and date is first! think you're right on the wedding planner part, could do with one based in zermatt which would be really helpful. how are you planning yours?

like the idea of a white dress with somesort of wrap to keep warm if outside for piccies, the more i think about it there will be more chance of snow and sunshine end of feb than early/mnid december.

are you holding the reception in a hotel? how are your non skier/non snowboarder guests reacting to the destinnation?

good luck with all your plans and thanks again for the tips you have got me thinking!! x

sounds like you'll have a fantastic wedding and snow boarding after will be brill!

starting the ball rolling with venues and have a couple of hotels that also have a chapel or are close to one, yeah you're right about the christmas rush and we are thinking around then 12th or mayb even now end of feb next year..... depending on prices?!

looking into the papers/legal part at the mo. cant believe how many things there are to think about, but venue and date is first! think you're right on the wedding planner part, could do with one based in zermatt which would be really helpful. how are you planning yours?

like the idea of a white dress with somesort of wrap to keep warm if outside for piccies, the more i think about it there will be more chance of snow and sunshine end of feb than early/mnid december.

are you holding the reception in a hotel? how are your non skier/non snowboarder guests reacting to the destinnation?

good luck with all your plans and thanks again for the tips you have got me thinking!! x

• Hello

We were intending to get married in Jan 11 and popped over to Austria to view 5 venues which we had shortlisted. Only went for 2 days as got flight with Ryanair for £40 but was definatley worth it as didnt like any of the hotels as they were nothing like the brochure.

We think we will now go to Switzerland instead as cannot find anything we like in Austria. I definatley recommend visiting the hotels 1st as you wouldnt want to pay all that money and be disappointed when you get there.

I have already got my dress (Alfred Angelo off Preloved for £120) and its white with a claret details on the back and long train. So I really want to get married in the snow. Best to go Jan or Feb as have been last 4 years and always snowy then. Flew home last night and snow was extremely heavy!!

Good luck x