Wedding in Italy

Hi everyone,

To start with we were arranging a wedding in the UK but then realised that the prices were really high so we decided to look abroad.We decided on the caribbean but it turned out to be so expensive for our guests that it didnt seem fair to make them pay that much for our wedding and for somewhere that they may not want to go and it unfortunately isnt an option for us to pay for them. So...that leads me to where we are now, Italy has always been somewhere we have wanted to visit and the prices are so much better for flights etc,

Just had a quote from a wedding planning company for ceremony, all legal aspects and interpreting, photographer, reception for 15 with canapes etc, three courses, drinks (not sure this is even what we want) bride and groom flowers and planner on day. This is 7500 euros! This is without any accomodation, flights, extra flowers, clothes, anything! Is it me or is that a lot of money for what I am getting? Feel a bit hopeless about the whole thing now.

Is anyone else having a small wedding in Italy? Any advice would be great. I have been looking online but feel a bit like i'm going in circles at the minute.

Thanks xxx

• Hi Jess, we're getting married cheaply in Italy. We're lucky to have holidayed in the region we are getting married in for 3years so had lots of time to research. We're getting married in a town hall in a small village and the room only holds 50 people. There is no cost for the Mayor to conduct the short civil ceremony and no cost for the use of the town hall. Legal wise, you get a certificate of no impediment from your own town hall (about 60 quid) and then you swap this for a nulla osta (italian equivalent) at the british embassy in the region you are getting married in italy (for the bride and groom this is 150euros). Then you only need to pay for a translator on the day of the wedding. We have arranged to hold the reception in a local agriturismo (bed and breakfast with a restaurant cooking local produce) they're providing lunch, buffet style dinner with at least 30 types of food available throughout the night and a wedding cake. I wouldn't want to have a wedding planner around on my wedding day as I imagine it would take away the relaxed atmosphere we're trying to create, but for bigger weddings I can see how this helps. If you want a small, not expensive wedding you have to be prepared to take a couple of trips to italy to sort everything out yourself. This hasn't been a hardship for us as we go regularly anyway but I imagine it would be for someone who hasn't been before. I hope all this has helped, sorry for rambling!! xxxx
  • Thank you so much for your reply. We are planning to visit Tuscany in June to look around and try to plan things, I think I am worrying because we had been planning on next may but really it's not the end of the world if it isn't then. Think we might go in June and see what we think. I really don't think we need a planner on the day as like you we want a relaxed day.

I think I might try to convince h2b that we need a few trips to arrange things image
  • Hi MrsMasonToBe, just wondered if the legal bits, ie changing the certificate of no impedement into the nulla osta can be done on a visit before the actual wedding? Do you know if their is a time limit?

Sorry for all of the questions!

Jess xx
  • elisaishereelisaishere Posts: 137
    Hi Jess

I got married in Italy and now I want to help brides who want to get married in Italy to have a dream wedding in their budget, as I did. I am Italian (living abroad though) and I have contacts and I know how to deal with people and documents image

Feel free to drop me an email at [email protected] ... I will be very gald to help image

Elisa

• Hi Elisa,

I have emailed you x
  • Hi Jess,

We got married in Italy in September 2009. We started planning a year earlier and did it without a wedding planner. I say without a wedding planner but my best friend lived there which proved invaluable. The paperwork was a bit daunting but it actually proved quite easy and is something I am so glad I saved myself 700 euro for (what we were orignally quoted).

I went over three times before we got married. I think the main problem we would have had without my best friend is that where we got married wasn't touristy so there wasn't lots of information I could find on the internet and I don't speak Italian. I think it is definitely doable though.

Gxx
  • MissVWMissVW Posts: 7,419
    Hi jess

I'm getting married in Italy this June and would say the quote you've had from a planner is really high.

A wedding in Italy can be done on a much cheaper budget. I've done lots of the planning myself and saved a fortune this way. The only thing I would say is, unless you can speak and write Italian, then do not attempt to do the legal/document side of things on your own. If one thing is wrong then they just won't marry you so it's not worth the risk. I hired a wedding planner for just the document/legal (and interpreter) side of things which cost 650 euros (it's now 850 euros if you book this year). The service is really good and means you don't have to worry about going to get your Nulla Osta - it's all taken care of image

We've just given notice with our local registrar, it will take 15 days for the public notice, then the Certificate of No Impediment is issued to us and we send it off to our planner in Italy, who will then take it to Florence to get it made into a Nulla Osta (with all the relevant legal documents). The Certificate of No Impediment lasts for 3 months, so you can only do it 3 months before your wedding date.

If you marry at a town hall, there will be a charge for using it - MrsMasontobe is lucky as she has a history with the locals so doesn't have to pay anything, but this is not the norm for anyone else wanting to marry in Italy. The fee ranges from 100 euros up to 1200 euros, depending on the place you get married. So you'll need to find out how much your chosen town hall costs in order to budget for that.

The venue we've chosen doesn't have a hire charge and we have a 3 course dinner for 16 people for 45 euros per head. It's great value and we have a lovely Italian menu. The wedding cake is being made by my Mum so we don't have a charge for that, but there was an option to have a traditional Italian wedding cake (quite different to ours but very scrummy) for 100 euros.

The hair and make up is expensive in Italy and I've used my contacts at my venue to get a better deal. However, expect to pay around 250 euros (maybe more) just for hair for yourself.

We have bought decorations here as we're taking them with us. I was going to courier them over in a box by Parcel2go, but my Mum's now driving over so she'll be taking them with her. It's a very cheap option to courier over your own decorations though, and ensures you have exactly what you want, so you may want to consider it?

As for flowers, we've gone for real touch artificial flowers by Laura at Bloominggorgeous.net I wanted a very specific bouquet and she made me the perfect one which I can keep forever. The buttonholes are also real touch, as are the bridesmaid corsage. It was also cheaper than buying fresh in Italy.

Hope this has helped. If you research hard enough, you can do a lot of it yourself and save quite a lot of money. Plus I found it fun planning our wedding.

We visited last May to do viewings and get a good feel for the place and fell in love instantly. I hope you have a great time in June when you visit - I'll be a married woman by then! eek! hehe xx
    Sorry, forgot to mention:

Photography was 450 euros for 4 hours service with all photos taken on a high res dvd for us to print out here.

Transport was 400euros for the full day with chauffeur.
  • Thank you all so much for your replies and for being so helpful.

MrsVW, where are you getting married in Italy? (if you don't mind telling me). Everything you have arranged sounds great and is the price range we are aiming for really. I looked at the real touch flowers and they look amazing! I like the idea of being able to keep them too. Also, what planner are you using to organise the legal aspects? I bet you are so excited about your wedding! You will have to post some pics when you get back.

I know what you mean about it being fun planning things yourself too, especially now I know it is possible for our budget.

Thanks xx
    Hi Jess

Ah glad the info was of some use to you. It can definitely be done within budget so don't worry image

We're marrying in a place near Tuscany. It's not well known and off the beaten track, which is what we wanted as a lot of people get married at very touristy places and that wouldn't have suited us.

When you go in June, try to befriend the hotel/villa owners as they'll be a great help when it comes to needing contacts in the future. We did this with a couple of things and it's saved us a few pounds. Also, dealing direct with your venue means you don't have to pay a third party (like a planner) a fee for arranging things, you can just organise things between you and the owner/manager. A lot of them speak English very well so you won't find it much of a problem to plan things.

My wedding planner doesn't actually cover Tuscany (we're marrying nearby not actually in Tuscany). If you contact Tuscany planners and ask for just a legal document and interpreter service, they'll be able to give you a quote just for that. Ensure you tell them you do not need a full wedding planning service otherwise the quote will turn into thousands!

Definitely excited as I had my first dress fitting a couple of weeks ago and go back in a couple of weeks for my second. Giving Notice also made it all feel very real! You will have such a fab time in June looking around for your perfect venue image xx

• Do you think that we will be ok leaving it until June before booking things for next May? I guess it depends on where we look and the popularity. Also, although I am hoping for May it doesn't matter too much if its a bit later, it will just mean a few extra months of me driving h2b mad with wedding stuff!

Good luck with your dress fitting, i have started trying on dresses and that makes it feel real enough! l, still haven't 100% decided on one yet as had picked one for caribbean wedding but I love it so may stay with the same one.

I hope you don't mind me bothering you with questions, i'm sure i will think of lots of strange ones!

oh, last question for now image what photographer are you using?
    Hi Jess

Ah, it's no bother at all! I'm happy to help if I can image

I wouldn't worry about booking things in June for next May, that's plenty of time. I booked for definite last July for this June, so it's the same amount of time. Also remember that in Italy, they won't let you book the town hall until the actual year of the wedding, so that won't happen until January at the very earliest (I had mine confirmed at the end of Jan). Your planner will be able to make sure you get the date and time you want though.

Things like photography, transport, reception venue, catering etc should all be booked asap but after your visit when you've had a chance to look around and decide where you'd like to be, will be more than enough time.

I always think with the dress that, if you fell in love with it and it's 'the one' then it'll fit wherever you get marrried. We considered getting married in Sri Lanka before Italy and I bought my dress regardless of the what the weather would be like. If you love it, you love it!

For your photography, you're probably better off asking the other Tuscany brides on here as I'm not getting married there. Also contact a few via email as they'll be able to offer you a package price. Lots of them have a gallery of their photos online for you to view to see what sort of style of photography they offer. Then contact them and tell them what your budget is and how long you would require them for. I did this and managed to get a great price. It pays to haggle! x
  • Hi there!

argh just wrote you a big reply and it then cut me off!

I am also getting married in Italy SOOO EXCITED!!! I know this is crazy but I have booked my wedding already for the 25th of April 2013! I am doing my PhD and I dont want to spend all of my final year rushing around arranging it so I thought book it now then I can forget about it for a while!

what type of ceromony are you having? I am having a catholic wedding therefore I am getting married in the basilica san silvestro de capita! its beautiful! it is costing 500 euro. The preist also gave advice on other costs eg. cars are only 120 euro, photographer 450 (much cheaper than the UK!).

the reception, is in the Hassler, this is a beautiful 5 star hotel in Rome (at the top of the spanish steps!). This is starting with cocktails on the roof top terrace then a four course meal with 15 guests! I also haggled a lot with the woman in the hotel she took the 1300 rental charge off and she also reduced the meal price from 120 per head to 86 euro! for other set up costs the flowers etc, menu, table plans, name cards are coming to 165 in total!

What I am saying is that you can def do it reasonably and have a very fancy day without wedding planners! I think its fun arranging it yourself and you def have to haggle! its easier doing this over the phone and via email! get luck!

Mairi xxx

I can't wait! heehee! image
  • Hi there!

argh just wrote you a big reply and it then cut me off!

I am also getting married in Italy SOOO EXCITED!!! I know this is crazy but I have booked my wedding already for the 25th of April 2013! I am doing my PhD and I dont want to spend all of my final year rushing around arranging it so I thought book it now then I can forget about it for a while!

what type of ceromony are you having? I am having a catholic wedding therefore I am getting married in the basilica san silvestro de capita! its beautiful! it is costing 500 euro. The preist also gave advice on other costs eg. cars are only 120 euro, photographer 450 (much cheaper than the UK!).

the reception, is in the Hassler, this is a beautiful 5 star hotel in Rome (at the top of the spanish steps!). This is starting with cocktails on the roof top terrace then a four course meal with 15 guests! I also haggled a lot with the woman in the hotel she took the 1300 rental charge off and she also reduced the meal price from 120 per head to 86 euro! for other set up costs the flowers etc, menu, table plans, name cards are coming to 165 in total!

What I am saying is that you can def do it reasonably and have a very fancy day without wedding planners! I think its fun arranging it yourself and you def have to haggle! its easier doing this over the phone and via email! get luck!

Mairi xxx

I can't wait! heehee! image
  • Hi There,

I am looking to get married in Italy - which wedding planner did you use? Would be most grateful for a recommended one.

Laura x
  • NowWedNowWed Posts: 91
    Hi all. Im getting married July this yr in italy, sorrento. We only booked it feb this yr. We have booked a wedding planner who has been in contact with us about extras we want i.e photography, horse and carriage, extra flowers, balloons etc. We will give her an idea of the extras we want but pay for it when we get there. We will also meet up with her during our two week stay. She will take us round restaurants or venues for our reception for about 15 people. In total i thik we will be spening 4k. The only things we have to buy before we go are our outfits, rings, holiday clothes and any extra bits we want to take. They will wvwn do our wedding favours for the guests. My bouquet and cake are included in the package, we will prob buy extra flowers for our parents to wear. sorted! good luck. x
  • Hi everyone, Thanks for all of your reply's. I haven't been able to get on since website changed and then been working lots. Time to get back into planning now though!
  • Hi girls,

We are getting married in italy in September 2011 - we booked it last month. We are getting married in Lake Como - veranna so excited and so beautiful. We have a wedding planner who is so lovely and very helpful he calls and emails us all the time to keep in contact. Unfortunatly due to the euro being so bad the wedding is costing a little more then we had hoped for, although the hardest thing I am having trouble with is the photographer. We have been quoted allot of money for only 4 hours work, and I really wanted it from the beginning of the day right through to the reception (obviously not continuously) does anyone know of any good quality but not expensive photographers?

Its great to have contacts that can do things for you - my friend is a hair dresser, and my other friend is a beautician so they can do my hair and makeup + nails.

I wanted to try and find something cheaper too as this what we was quoted but I really wanted to get married by the lake outside and for this to be legal it would cost a little bit more then a town hall.

I think it all depends on what you want our ceremony and reception is the most important things so I am trying to comprimise on price throughout all the other things image

x-x
  • Hi All,

I'm all booked to get married in Italy at Villa Baroncino in June next year. When we initially looked at venues in Italy we used a lovely lady called Silvia who was recommended by our friends who used her for their wedding. She's very experienced, Italian with very good english. She recommended lots of venues to us and sent us all the information we needed to decide which ones to shortlist to visit, and then met us and took us around them all. I can't recommend her highly enough.

With the venue we chose they have their own wedding planner so we didn't end up using her but we're going to stay in touch. Her e-mail address is [email protected], and the website of the company she works for is www.sposiamovi.it.

Good luck x
  • Hello there,

I've not been online for a while so I'm a bit confused by the new website layout!

I'm Italian but I live in the UK. I would like to get married in 2011 or 2012...still not sure if in Italy or in the UK (this second option would be quite unconventional for an Italian bride...but let's see...I'm looking for inspiration in wedding magazines and forums like this one!)

In the meanwhile, if you are planning your diy wedding in Italy, I would like to recommend my blog for diy ideas and tips: myitalianwedding.co.uk

This is something I've just started for fun during my free time! If you need any suggestion, you are more than welcome to ask!

Stefania
  • Hello there,

I've not been online for a while so I'm a bit confused by the new website layout!

I'm Italian but I live in the UK. I would like to get married in 2011 or 2012...still not sure if in Italy or in the UK (this second option would be quite unconventional for an Italian bride...but let's see...I'm looking for inspiration in wedding magazines and forums like this one!)

In the meanwhile, if you are planning your diy wedding in Italy, I would like to recommend my blog for diy ideas and tips: www.myitalianwedding.co.uk

This is something I've just started for fun during my free time! If you need any suggestion, you are more than welcome to ask!

Stefania
  • katies18katies18 Posts: 61
    Hi -I am beginning to plan a Venice Wedding - where did you get married - can you reccomend a wedding planner as you have done just for the paperwork and the service?

Thanks

Kate
  • Hi! Sorry for the late reply to the questions, I lost touch with this post!

Jess if you decide to do it yourself, you need to change your certificate of no impediment for a nulla osta within a 3 month window. We did ours in early March for our late May wedding.

I believe it can also be done in the post however this involves sending your original birth certificates, money and original certifiates of no impediment in the post which I wasn't comfortable about. The embassy needed 5 working days to process our nulla osta so we dropped it off on the Thursday and they called us to say we could collect it on the Tuesday. Then we dropped it off at the town hall who confirmed they had everything they needed for the wedding in May.

I definitely support taking trips to look at areas and you know when you fall in love with a location. All the more special if you and your H2B experience it together.

MissVW is definitely right when it comes to each persons experience being different, the number of times I've tried to give the comune money because I can't believe there's no charge I'm starting to offend them! Just don't want them to turn round at the end and ask for money and us not be prepared for it.

Good luck! xxx
  • Hello Kate,

If you need any help just give me a shout! I was born and bred in the Venice area and even if I'm not a wedding planner I might be able to help (I've already helped a French friend of mine to get married in Italy). Ciao. Stef
  • 337191337191 Posts: 1
    I am getting married in Rome next November and have been quoted similar prices for wedding planners! I thought it would be near impossible to organise without a planner but may reconsider!!!
  • Hi Elisa

I was wondering if you would mind assisting me with some questions I have about getting married abroad. I have received quotes of all the costs from a wedding planner and they seem a little expensive (which seems to be the case for Italy). I just wanted to check whether there was a possibility of getting some of these costs down. I was hoping your knowledge would help me with this.

I appreciate that it has been some time since your post but was hoping you were still around for guidance as my budget is in desperate need of help!!!

Thanks in advanceimage

Hazel