Forum home Weddings abroad

Cyprus, doing it alone?

Has anyone planned their wedding in cyprus alone and not used a planner or tour operator? Im trying to do it for as cheaply as possible, we have lost deposits on our UK wedding and have now decided we are just going to go abroad, no family conflicts and fuss.

I have Paphos & peyia contact details and i can arrange my actual date & time of ceremony myself, i have been given a few names of local tavernas/restaurants i could have a reception but thats about it, not sure about cars, cakes etc. I just want to get married now, no big doo or to much fuss, just a nice service and then a meal somewhere woudl be ideal x

• Good on you, but I must admit we used a tour operator. I had done most of it myself & sorted out our reception, but its the legal side of it I was worried about at the time. Thomas Cook sorted it all out for us & we had to do was turn up & a few days before the wedding & sign the forms.

A lot of the cars used for weddings are white mercedes which a few of the taxis use, so for cheapness hire a white taxi. Like UK as soon as you mention 'WEDDING', the price goes up. I took my own flowers & buttonholes out with me. I used Sarahs Flowers, & they were very lifelike. You can always make a wedding as cheap or expensive as you like. It just means hunting around on the internet & getting quotes for things.
  • I got married in Cyprus last summer and we (or should I Say I!) planned pretty much everything!! I have lots of friends who had used some of the operators to book their weddings abroad and a few had some nightmare stories. I didnt like the idea of using a wedding planner as I know some of them are on commission and will just push certain suppliers for that rather than what a couple likes. Although from what i read Ruth is meant to be really good.

The taxis are great and you could indeed use one of them. You can hire anything from a Beetle to a Limo but we had a horse and carriage from cinderella carriages. Our cake was made by a company called cakebox and it really was beautiful. Our wedding photographer was Christina Savvouri and she also helped make some recommendations. Reading forums like these also helped loads. I am sure you will be fine and have a great wedding. Good luck x