Forum home Weddings abroad

Presents for parents

What are you all giving your parents as gifts at your wedding abroad to thank them for their support?

I've always seen people give flowers at ceremonies here, but that really isn't practical for us as our parents will only be there for 48 hours after the ceremony so they'll pretty much go to waste. I did think jewellery for the mums and watches for the dads, but the future in-laws never wear any kind of jewellery so wouldn't want to look as if one set of parents was getting more than the other. Dilemmas, dilemmas!

Another option is to just say they'll have their gifts waiting for them when they get home, but I'd appreciate hearing what fellow abroad brides are doing.

• jentigerjentiger Posts: 276
    I was also thinking about this, we are on a tight budget and didnt want to buy them something cheap for the sake of it, or something they wont use / want

I may send some flowers when they get back

but i have had some thank you cards made from ebay which i am giving to all guests and am going to include a lovely hand written message of thanks for each guest.
  • I am thinking to buy an antique headband for my wedding and take them parts afterwards - have them made to two brooches. One for my mum and one for my mother in law. But my mum doesn't really wear jewlery so it might become mine eventually image

I have no idea what to give my father in law. I'd love to buy him a watch however he already has a very expensive watch (same as my dad). It would be great if someone can share their ideas. Thanks!
  • We had personalised thank you cards for everyone that came to our wedding in Cyprus. For our parents we ended up getting little versions of our own wedding album which they loved.
  • nessynoouknessynoouk Posts: 352
    Oh I'm glad I've found this.

We are doing goody bags for all the women (nail file, mints, sanctuary minis, shower poofs, oil absorbing facial tissues, mouth wash and other lovely girly things) with a thank you note and itinerary for the day. The men should be taking these in their luggage and delivering them when they arrive (everybody is flying out at different times and we are the last, a few days later).

Because we are doing this, we won't be giving his mum a present (she hasn't been helpful and is a witch) but thinking about either sending my mum and sister (chief super bridesmaid) for a spa day when they get home, or taking my parents out for a lovely dinner to say thank you.

Somehow dinner doesn't seem like enough of a thank you when they have really helped us financially with the wedding...?

I quite like the idea of arranging for flowers to be sent once they get home, as we will still be on our honeymoon, but that doesn't really cover my dad.

Hmm...
  • ElsaFianceeElsaFiancee Posts: 759
    question - when you do give something to the parents afterwards, what do you give them on the day?

we're getting married in France, so don't want to take too many things with us, and as we're going to French Polynesia for our honeymoon, I wanted to buy soem nice pearls for our mums as a thank-you, but don't want guests to think they didn't get anything!
  • pr1ncess_mummypr1ncess_mummy Posts: 1,676
    I have got my Mum a "Mother of the Bride" jewellery box which I thought was a nice keepsake and also useful! I am stuck for Mother of Groom to be honest.

For my Dad I'm getting a "Father of the Bride" personalised Whisky Glass and may do the same for Father of the Groom?

We are also doing the "wedding packs" with lots of little miniture things in to give out to everyone on the morning of the wedding with the Order of the Day and have also done everyone favours for the reception table (Men mini Jack Daniels and Scratchcards and ladies handmade Wine Glass Charms and Heart Neckalces!) I didn't realise just how much we had spent until it was too late! Ooops!

Any other ideas for Mother of Groom would be great!

-x-x-
  • We are having the same problem!

We are getting married in Italy so I'm thinking we could give a really nice bottle of italian wine ?

Julie
  • AmberlinnieAmberlinnie Posts: 508
    I have the same problem, I don't want to give them anything cheap as they have been fantastic to us. I don't want to give them flowers as there will be soooo many left in the evening they might as well take them home with them.

I was thinking something from Tiffany?! H2B Father is dead image so I dont have to get him anything. My Dad is the hardest man to get something for. He wont wear any jewellery, doesnt use a wallet, not in to aftershave etc... HELP!

We are having parent albums made after the wedding but I would like to give them something on the day.

• VodVod Posts: 507
    Well, we have decided we are getting both dads a dress watch, and both mams a set of earrings. They are both contributing massively to the costs of the wedding and we wanted to get them something in recognition of this.

We are also having photo books made up of our official photos after the wedding, but this was something we had planned for ages. My mam is quite excited about this as she's still not had any photos from my brother's wedding which was 18 months ago!
  • what about the oh so cherished books you can get for parents?

By the way if anybody has the template for one of these, I would be very grateful image

xxx
  • Any more ideas on Mother of the Bride/Groom wedding gifts for when you are getting married abroad? I am getting married in Italy and really do want to give them something on the day (my mother has informed me that she has been wondering what I will do (great!) )

Any further help or suggestions ladies?

x

• MrsC2014MrsC2014 Posts: 822

italybride2013 we are doing the same! Spa day vouchers for MIL and MOB. Bit stuck on gifts for the dads though..

Ha ha true dat! image

Just did some more hunting around on this and found someone that suggested booking dinner for four after the wedding and giving them an envelope on the day with the place and date of the booking - I'm thinking Gordon Ramsey Claridges or something like that.. I might do this instead of spa day as it's something for both men and women and means we don't have to pay for it until after the wedding. x

• heliganedenheliganeden Posts: 1,848

We paid for both sets of parents to come with us on a boay cruise 2 days after the wedding, we had a lovely day together and a few other guests joined us too image

We just booked ours! Chefs table at Gordon Ramsey at Savoy Grill, you get a private table overlooking the kitchen so you see the pass, champers and canapes on arrival, seven course tasting menu designed by the chef himself and the opportunity to go into the kitchen and try your hand a bit of cooking yourself. £115 per person which is pretty pricey but sounds amazing and right up my parents street. We're hoping to join them too but not sure we can stretch to that! image

• LeaBLeaB Posts: 1,706

I'm giving my mum and dad a holiday for later in the year. we are getting married in Portugal so dont want to carry loads of presents with us. Getting my dad a personalised hankerchief which I will give him before we walk down the aisle. They have contributed loads to our wedding almost 6 grand so want to give them something back.

Am stuck for ideas for the  grooms mother, as she is on her own and is a bit of a misery as well as she hasn't contributed anything, not that we expect her too! But dont want to favourite my family so maybe will give them the holiday details in private x

• Selina17Selina17 Posts: 3

I’m having the same problem but For my sister who is my matron of honour (I’m not having any other bridesmaids- just her) for parents we are getting them photo frames with pictures from our engagement that will then be replaced with pictures from the wedding. They’re easy to pack for taking them abroad and all parents get the same (we have three sets as my grooms parents have split)