Sorrento Wedding Advice! :D

Hiya,

I am planning to get married in Sorrento next June and wondered if anyone had any advice or stories. We are booking with Thomson, they seem really helpful so far but I have never been to a wedding and don't know anybody who has married abroad before so if anyone has any advice, about dresses, flowers, receptions, photographers..anything and everything i'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!!

Charl xx

• Hi Charl,

I got married in Ravello (Amalfi) last year- Just down the coast from Sorrento, and have stayed in Sorrento quite a lot whilst planning our wedding so may be able to help.

You will not regret an Amalfi coast wedding - I promise you, we had 50 people who came out to the wedding, the weather was glorious, the wedding itself was amazing and people are still talking about our day as the best wedding they have ever been too image

I organised my own wedding ( with the help of an Italian planner )as I found Thomson tended to do the 'standard' packages that they offered everyone and we wanted something quite different, and had quite a big wedding but with smaller numbers.. if that makes sense?.

This is a list of everyone we used who also provide to the Sorrento area and where we got married that I can 100% recommends!!

Church- Santa Maria Gradillo- Ravello

Reception - Hotel Caruso - Ravello

Music - www.amalficoastmusic.com - Brilliant and definitely do sorrento area!

Flowers - malfonte (AMAZING!! but pricey not sure of website but sure you can google)Also try la voilette

Wedding planner- Ravello events- Highly recommended, not too expensive at all and fantasic help!!

Photographer- Joanne Dunn, Ravello

Let me know if you would like any further or help hun and I will be very happy to help image

Jo xxx
  • lucelalucela Posts: 551
    Hi Charl!

Were getting married in Sorrento in Sept! We are having the ceremony at the cloisters followed by the reception at Don Pedro restaurant.

I have had a wedding planner (flowers & confetti) to sort paperwork, ceremony, bouquet & photographer etc for a set package (although flexible) and then organised the reception myself after Don Pedro having such good reviews.

I am also sorting table decor and favours here and taken them over. I have still got to organise things like make up but have been quoted by Zoe Graham and we have yet to organise transport for guests, wedding cake and we may have a videographer or get my OH's friend to film it.

We are having our own music at the restaurant using an Ipod and just hiring a big speaker and my bridesmaid (SIL) wants to organise flowers for the table and other bridesmaids for me when we get there.

It's slowly falling into place and we have about 23 people coming, we invited more but it was short notice as only got engaged in Feb.

Can always give you more info at a later stage.

Luce image x
  • ebonee4ebonee4 Posts: 21
    Hi Charl,

Im getting married in Sept in Sorrento at Villa Fondi,can't wait. We are using Sorrento Sunland as wedding planners. We actually went in February and met up with them and the ladies are fabulous. They are doing all the paperwork and we will arrange our own recption. All our questions are answered promptly and they have even helped us to find accomodtion as we wanted a villa. The planners can help you sort out flowers etc so you dont have to worry. I tried Thomson before but didnt like the fact that you cant have a date confirmed immediately. Good luck, will write back after the wedding
  • Hi everyone!

I am really sorry I haven't been online - we have been having problems with our internet as we changed suppliers...nightmare!

First of all, thanks to all of you for replying it's great to hear from people who have chose the same place as us.

This may sound strange but we have chosen Sorrento having not been so I am glad that you guys can help me out!!

Firstly, does anyone have a rough estimate of the price of a photographer over there.

Thanks for all your recommendations Jo I will definitely be checking them out.

We are still discussing the location Paula, but I think it will be villa fondi, however, my younger brother is Albino and does not handle the sun well at all so it may have to be cloisters for the comfort of him, as it is a little more enclosed...H2B also prefers this location if I am honest!!

I would really appreciate updates from all you beautiful brides after your weddings if you don't mind!

Finally, what are you all doing about getting your dress over...really panicked about this as I do not want to have to check it in but it's sounding like I may have to!

Hope to hear from you all soon

Charl xx
  • lucelalucela Posts: 551
    I plan on buying a wedding dress box on ebay from boxofmemories! They can do boxes to meet your preferred hand luggage measurements that way you can keep your dress with you. You can have them personalised too with the wedding date & destination. You can get special tissue paper and probably get the bridal shop to pack it for you.

• Thanks for all your help girlies, I resposted something similar to this in the hope one of you ould get in touch, as this post 'disappeared'??

Anyway, now i've found it would any of you mind telling me any rough cost estimates for photographer, flowers, hair etc.

We are sorting our budget and cannot find these answers anywhere online?

Thanks a million image xx
  • Hi ladies,

I have just returned from my wedding in Italy & it was just incredible. I wanted to recommend someone to any of you who are debating about wedding planners & who to use.

Maria from Perfect Italian Weddings (http://www.perfectitalianweddings.com/aboutus.htm ) was an absolute angel from start to finish. Her fees are low but her services are outstanding.

I was at times probably quite demanding as I was booking everything blind so to speak & needed lots of options & reassurance - from the moment I contacted her she was brilliant; knowledgable, kind, excellent communicator. She dealt with everything for us from venues to flowers to musicians & photographer and clearly set out everything throughout the process.

Without her I would have found it incredibly difficult & she was amazing (even meeting us in Naples a few days before when we arrived to check we knew how to get to Sorrento) and also attending the wedding on the day to ensure everything went smoothly.

As far as I know she handles Rome & the Lakes as well as the Amalfi Coast - you won't find better than her anywhere in Italy!

I simply can't praise her enough.

Please be warned that our guests who booked with Thompsons are now taking legal action against them for a catalogue of complaints - be very, very careful.

As for my dress, we asked the shop to pack it into a small case & took it on the plane as hand luggage.

The reception was at the Bristol which was glorious - I've never known such attentive and classy service & our guests all commented it was the best wedding meal they had ever had. The ceremony was at the Cloister & was truly stunning.

Hope you all have wonderful weddings,

Louise