Getting Married in Italy

Dear All,

My fiance and I are thinking of getting married in Italy as it all looks alot cheaper that the UK, is somewhere that we love, and we won't feel too guilty about not inviting the cast of thousands that our parents would like!

Does anyone know of people that have done an "Italian Job", or have recommendations of companies to use (or not to use)?

Vx

• Check out the latest issue of YYW - they have a feature about marrying in Italy which might be helpful.
  • Hi,

My fiance and I are also looking at Italy at the moment as it looks amazing.

We're thinking of Lake Garda, have u got any ideas on location yet?

I don't know of anyone who has done it but may be able to share some info i have found out (tho not at lot yet!)

S.x
  • blossom25blossom25 Posts: 3,072
    Don't know about getting married in Italy but been on holiday there lots and it is gorgeous. I'm particularly in love with Puglia (the 'heel' part). It is a beautiful peaceful place and the weather is a lot warmer than the more Northern parts. x
  • I'm getting married in Cyprus in September 2006 and did lots of research into weddings abroad. Italy def looks good. Good to pick a European destination as then more of your friends and family can go so far 40 are coming to mine and really pleased with the responses so far. Best thing is we are having a party when we get back so i get to wear my dress twice! Not many weddings where you can do that!!! image

Def recommend getting married abroad so far so good, my only worry at the moment is getting my dress over there but going with First choice and they are being very helpful!
  • hi stefanie we too are getting married in cyprus, where abouts ae you getting married, how have you found it so far to planning stuff, like the legal side of things? x
  • HI classychick, i've replied on another topic but getting married in ayia napa, what about you? Cant wait a bit daunting though as wedding co-ordinator does everything and i wont be doing much at all till get out there!! Going with First choice. Getting married in September we go on 3rd and get married on 6th. You need 3 working days but apparently town hall made exception as there werent many dates left (i'm a bit scared but called first choice lots of time to confirm!!) need to send the stat dec, copies of birth certificate and passprts off soon. Only 5 months to go and have to do it within 6 months. Are you going it alone or is a tour operator helping? Be good to hear from you!
  • GWALLOWGWALLOW Posts: 3
    I'm getting married in Italy,Orvieto on September 16th this year. We are using a great wedding planner called Rossana Sapori, she runs weddingsinumbria.com they can organise a wedding anywhere in Italy and can work towards any budget (ours is quite small) We are having 40 people all staying in this gorgeous small country house (about 44 euro a night). Orvieto is only an hour from Rome and the whole thing is cost our guests about the same as getting to an English countryside wedding! Any more advice just ask!
  • heathkcheathkc Posts: 1
    Hi Gabs,

I was just wondering if you could give me a few details about your wedding in Italian. Mainly how much everything costs!!!! We are trying to work out if we could afford to get married there at the moment. I would be really grateful for any help you could give me.
  • liisaukliisauk Posts: 2
    Hi,

I married in Tuscany, and used a great coordinator www.weddingsintuscany.info.

Hope this can help you.

Liisa
  • Hi,

We're getting married in Venice in August and it is much cheaper than getting married here. We're having a gondola ride, drinks & canapes in St Marks Square and a reception at a 5 star restaurant, all for less than £5k. (We're having a party back home for the rest of our family and friends too.) Our wedding planner Italia Romantica has been great. (They were reccommended to us by a family friend.)

Good luck!

Emma x
  • wedblisswedbliss Posts: 1
    Hello,

lm getting married on the amalfi coast in Italy. It is absolutely gorgeous, l went there for vacation and loved it. l was worried about planning it myself so l invested in a wedding planner she has been great. l would recommend her amalficoastdivineweddings.com.

She deals with lots of destination weddings so she has been very understanding.
  • amywbamywb Posts: 9
    hiya

I'm getting married in Serravalle (halfway between Pisa and Florence) September 22nd. We're using Mascia @ Happening Wedding planners. www.happening.it We asked for somewhere serviced by the budget airlines and where we could accomodate guests and hold the reception in the same place.

Things are cheaper in Italy expecially because of the strong £. The 20% tax and 10% wedding planner fee means that whatever your quoted in euros is about the same as pounds. However I think you get allot more for your money.

Plus the food is fantastic

• barbaraukbarbarauk Posts: 1
    Hi,

we have found www.weddingsinitaly.it they are fantastic! no matter how high is your budget - they simply suggest you and you are free to decide.
  • hi,

we've just returned from our honeymoon and wedding in Puglia, Southern Italy. From start to finish the whole experince was just amazing and I would whole heartedly reccomend anyone to have their wedding in Italy. The Italian weather, people, food, drink, culture and architecture were something I had always dreamed of for my wedding setting.

I used Luna Rosa wedding planners who were just fab. They guided me though everything from the legalities to florists and would bend over backwards to accomodate every little request. Their website is www.discovery-travel.co.uk and I can recomened Emma who was my right hand woman from start to finish.

Happy planning girls!

A x

[Modified by: aw on June 26, 2006 07:51 PM]
  • Hi there everyone!

We are getting married in a small catholic ceremony ceremony in October in Sorrento on the Amalfi Coast in Italy.

We started using one of the big UK tour operators (Thompson/Thomas Cook) to book our wedding and soon found that they were more interest in organising the wedding they wanted rather than what we were looking for. They even told us we had to be there four days early so we basically booked more accommodation with them!!

An Italian friend of a friend who lives in the region kindly put me in touch with a lady who organise weddings for Italians and she is quite simply amazing. All the details are perfect and exceptional quality and she has negotiated local rates on pretty much everything. I feel so happy and confident now, everything is exactly as I had dreamed!

Anyway, I'd be delighted to share my experiences or pass on information to anyone that might like help - please feel free to e-mail me

EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED FOR YOUR SAFETY - Julia, I've taken out your email address as we want you to be safe on this site, and it's never a good idea to have your email address available on the internet as you're open to getting loads of spam. If anyone wants to take up your kind offer of help and advice, we'd recommend they use the email button, or simply post a message on the boards as other people may find it useful too!

Best wishes

Web Editor

Good luck and best wishes!

Julia

[Modified by: webeditor on July 06, 2006 09:12 PM]
  • BabybonBabybon Posts: 198
    Hi, we are getting married in Lake Garda, Malcesine Castle next Sept (2007). We're using Lake Garda weddings and went to meet the wedding planner in Italy last week. They've been great so far and th elocation is really gorgeous....oh and it's much much cheaper than doing it here in the UK. Let me know if you want any more info! good luck!
  • XixiukXixiuk Posts: 10
    Hi there, I got married on the Amalfi Coast last year, and I had an excellent wedding planner called the Book of Dreams. There are also a couple of resources that you might find useful - www.weddings-abroad-guide.com is useful for sharing info, and there is a guidebook available at http://www.lulu.com/content/358914
  • snowy-babysnowy-baby Posts: 715
    How long do you need to plan a wedding in Italy? I am thinking of Sept '07 but cannot decide an exact location yet. Been in contact with a few wedding planners and its so confusing cause they all sound great. I want a catholic church wedding, a small romantic reception afterwards, with plenty of good music, food and views for photographs. Fiesole outside Florence and Castel Gandolfo outside Rome have been mentioned.

Anyone got any other ideas? Gettin stressed out....
    September 07 gives you plenty of time, but don't leave it much later than September 06 as all the good venues tend to get booked up (although that only really applies to May and June weddings which is a very popular time for the locals). I'd certainly want to be making provisional bookings a year in ahead to secure a preferred venue.

What's your budget like? I might be able to make a couple of suggestions for Rome.

Would love to say that the budget is expanse but unfortunately its not! Have about 6k for most things (flights and hotel will probably be more) but think that should be ok as we are only having between 30-40 guests.

Agree that I really need to have set an exact date by sept this year so that gives people plenty of notice to get things arranged.

Thanks for your help, v
    For that price you should be able to book somewhere like Palazzo Ferrajoli in the centre of Rome (very nice private villa). The list of places I reviewed for my guidebook is on my laptop, but I can check the average prices tonight and post a couple of suitable places for you. In the meantime take a look at the Palazzo Ferrajoli website as they have very flexible pricing.
    That would be great, if you have anyother cermony/reception venues let me know. Not sure what churches there are in Rome to get married in either. The Palazzo Ferrajoli does look good.
    Oooh yes, I did a fair few churches as well. I take it you don't want anything huge for that many people. Did you know you can get married in St Peter's in the Vatican? There's a little side chapel called the Chapel of the Chorus that they use for weddings.

My personal favourite was St Bartolomeo all Isola, but it depends what kind of style you want. Are you looking for something quite ornate, or would you prefer something plain?
  • We starting considering Italy today, A because we love it, and B coz we can't be arsed to invite 100 people that we don't really want there! I'd rather sacrifice a big over blown wedding for something small scale with beautiful views!

Check this site out: www.italyweddings.com. They have a range of gorgeous options in Tuscany and will work with a budget starting from around £1,800 (3500 euros).

I'll be having a look at your other suggestions though-oooo I'm all excited!x
    xixi,

is that church St. Bartolomeo all Isola in Rome also?

really like ornate churches cause they look so different to the ones at home.
    Yeah, St Bartolomeo is on the little island in the middle of the Tiber. It's set on a sweet cobbled square with views of the Vatican.

Also take a look at:

Santa Maria in Trastevere (lovely gilded, sparkling church in a very hip district)

Santa Maria in Aracoeli (although it's a really long walk up a steep staircase)

Sant'Andrea in Quirinale (another one of my favourites - lovely oval shape full of marble carvings)

Those were my faves out of the ones I reviewed for the guidebook, anyway.

• melanierice1melanierice1 Posts: 1,966
    Hi JT79

I'm getting married through Lake Garda Weddings in August 2007 - we're going to meet the co-ordinator in a few weeks to get ideas for reception venues, etc. I read in a travel book that Malcesine can get quite over-run with tourists in the summer which is worrying us a bit. What was it like when you went out there? Where are you thinking of having your reception?

:\)
  • Hi, girls!

im so excited, Im also getting married in Rome, my future husband has done his proposal to me there, its such a wonderful and romantic city so we decided to get married there. 

I have already found a make up artist and hair stylist in Rome, we have had the trial session as we were on vacation this year, and she is simply fantastic, highly professional, makes you feel very relaxed, gives you the tips on the style and skin care, im really happy I have found her, if anyone needs her name is Anna, and the web site is  http://www.annartstyle.com/ 

I know the most important things in organising are a great photographer and make up and hair, so if anyone can give me some tips on great photographers in Rome? with modern reportage style I will be very happy!

• anna270 wrote (see post):

Hi, girls!

im so excited, Im also getting married in Rome, my future husband has done his proposal to me there, its such a wonderful and romantic city so we decided to get married there. 

I have already found a make up artist and hair stylist in Rome, we have had the trial session as we were on vacation this year, and she is simply fantastic, highly professional, makes you feel very relaxed, gives you the tips on the style and skin care, im really happy I have found her, if anyone needs her name is Anna, and the web site is  http://www.annartstyle.com/ 

I know the most important things in organising are a great photographer and make up and hair, so if anyone can give me some tips on great photographers in Rome? with modern reportage style I will be very happy!

Hi Anna,

for my wedding in Costiera Amalfitana I've chosen Alessandra www.alessandrapezzati.it

She's from Rome, but she travels a lot around all Italy to shoot wonderful weddings. She's not very expensive (around 1000 euro), and she was amazing in catching the best moments of our lives. I hope it can help :)

Sara