Santorini weddings 2012

Is there any 2012 santorini brides out there??

Be great to share details!!!!!

• You lucky girl, wish I could say I was. Going there on holiday in September with one of my past brides (I'm a wedding photographer) going for holiday / rock the frock shoot. I can only hope one day to shoot a wedding over there.

Good luck with all the wedding planning, your wedding pictures are going to be awesome.
  • suze2besuze2be Posts: 12
    Hi, I'm just on the brink of booking ours for july 2012. I am quite obsessed at moment and can't think of much else, think I need help! Theres so much info out there that its quite overwhelming, be good to chat to others in same situation. I am just finishing up some details then getting the travel agent to get it all booked. Planning on Santo winery for ceremony and not sure about reception yet, we will be staying in perissa as we have 2 children and the boutique hotels near the caldera wouldn't be practical! So exited, be grea to know where you up to with your plans...

suzex
  • FlickertyFlickerty Posts: 51
    Ooh i missed this thread back in May... yes i'm a Santorini 2012 bride!!! 8th June to be precise. Can't wait! We booked it last October so seems like forever to wait, although time has already flown by and it's now less than a year image We're also going to Santo Winery followed by Almira Tavern in Kamari.

I know what you mean about being obsessed Suze... I'm forever checking into the Santo winery webcam at work! Are you booking with a wedding planner?
  • jorosiepjorosiep Posts: 334
    Hi,

I am actually getting married in Santorini this year, but I wanted to write and say I know what Flickerty and you all are feeling! H2B and I booked our wedding in October 2009 and believe me, the time will fly by! I get married in just over four weeks, at the Santo Winery and having our reception at the Almira Tavern so if you have any questions, I am happy to answer!

Jo.
    You have exactly the same venues as us Jo! Have you been to Santorini whilst planning your wedding? I've never actually been there and probably won't until the wedding week as trying to save every penny... which means everything is going to be a bit of a surprise so i'd really love to hear how your big day goes! The menu at Almira sounds lovely and we wanted a fairly informal mezze feast type meal so it seems to fit the bill. It sounds like the party can continue as late as people are still standing so nice not to have any restrictions! Aside from booking the ceremony and restaurant, we really haven't done much more yet... not sure whether we should have image
  • Hi I came across your thread whilst trawling the internet (again) for ideas.

We're getting married in Santorini in August 2012. We're struggling to make up our mind for our hotel, ceremony and reception. After visiting Santorini in 2008 we wanted to stay and get married in Oia or somehwere with a caldera view but we now have a little girl who will be nearly 3 next summer and we're struggling as many hotels won't accept children under 14. We're now wondering whether we'd be better staying somewhere a bit more family friendly - decisions decisions decisions???

We love the look of Theros Wave for our reception but I think it will be a struggle getting everyone back from there as apparently taxis won't go down the dirt track as I believe its quite remote - looks gorgeous though.

I'd love to share ideas as there seems to many things to think about.
    Flickerty,

H2B and I went on holiday there in Sept 2009 and met with wedding planners and saw venues while there.

We are having the barbecue and from all accounts there is a lot of food and very good too! Christos at the Almira is brilliant, he really helped us when we saw him and we can't wait to meet him again soon to finalise everything. I have heard that we can party on down until four, our guests are having free drinks until two in the morning, so we will see how it goes! The Almira do really good drinks packages, 27 euros for four hours of unlimited local wine, local beer, local spirits, water and soft drinks!

I have pictures on my facebook page if you would like to have a look,

Jo.
  • Dan0109Dan0109 Posts: 114
    Hey fellow santorini brides, finally there is others out there!Mine is all booked we have used weddings-in-santorini and i am getting married at santo winery followed by the prygros taverna. Never been to santorini, first time will be when i get married, eeekk!!

'suze2be' i no exactly what you mean i have over a year to wait and i already cant think about anything else!

'hopalong-album' when are you gettin married in august? i fly out 21st!
  • Hey brides

Im getting married on 20th July 2012 at Santa Irene Chapel. I am so excited. I have ordered my dress and the hotel is booked, so there isnt much more i can do for the moment.

Lisa x
    Thanks for the info Jo image I'd love to see pictures if that's ok. I'll message you my facebook details so you can add me. Do you know whether the Almira use the entire restaurant for the reception or is there usually other people there as well? That's good to know about the drinks package, i think we'll be doing that as well. Don't think we'll have too much difficulty each getting our 27 euros worth!

hopalong-album, I loved the idea of a Caldera reception as well but we'll have a couple of 2 year olds in our wedding party so ruled that out. Instead we've gone for the Caldera view ceremony (only there for an hour so easier for people to keep a close eye on them), then having the reception in Kamari by the beach as it's much more family friendly. Looks like everyone will stay in the same town as well as it's much cheaper so at least people can walk back to hotels at the end of the night.

I still need to find my dress image
    Hi, its great to get people adding to this thread! Must say last few days been a mare for me - thinking of eloping to bermuda or somewhere! family members are being so indecisive and I'm the one that keeps having to ring the travel agent to change the plans! The travel agent will be assigning us a wedding planner not sure who it is. Lisa I will be there same time as you, we get there on the 17th july and the wedding will be the week after where are you staying?

its good to hear others with children in the party are going, I kind of dismissed santorini at first as thought its not a place for kids but I have been reassured that thats not really the case by reading various reviews, mainly on trip advisor. Is the almira near the beach then? not decided on reception venue and I would like to do an open bar for the guests. I think my wedding will be about 5 and I thought it would be nice to stay up there(winery) and watch the sunset but that might be getting late then, so not sure what to do. Jo I have seen your post somewhere else hope you have sorted a dress now. Went and looked at some dresses a few weeks ago but wanted to hold off until the plans were 100 % definate, but worried as it will be too hot to wear spanx!!!

suzex
  • Suze

I am staying in Kamari and having my reception at Sphinx. We have a private balacony so we can watch the sunset. We get married at 6pm and then after photos etc will move to the reception which is not that far away.

My dress is very light, well compared to others http://www.maggiesottero.com/dress.aspx?line=m&page=0&style=J1396

This is the link if you want to have a look.

It will be good to keep in touch especially as we will be out there at the same time. I fly on 10 July and get married on 20th so plenty of time for a tan

Lisa x
    It's nice to hear from people who are in the same Santorini filled frame of mind!

That's a gorgeous dress Lisa. None of the shops i've been to so far have stocked Maggie dresses and i'm desperate to try some on. The destinations range look fab and there's loads in the normal range which look great for going abroad. I really want to try on Asha.

Suze - yes Almira is right by the beach. I love the thought of hearing the waves as we eat. Our planner emailed me some info on the menu options if you'd like me to forward it on to you.

Is anyone having Greek dancers? Oh and I'd like to arrange a sunset boat trip for everyone the following day - if anyone knows of a good company I'd love a recommendation!
  • ejrogers1ejrogers1 Posts: 8
    Hi girls,

I'm not a 2012 bride, but just thought I'd let you know I have just returned from getting married in Santorini 4 weeks ago and did exactly what Polly0109 is doing - we used Michael from weddings-in-santorini and had the ceremony at Santo Winery followed by reception at Pyrgos.

The whole experience was absolutely amazing, so if anybody has any questions at all feel free to ask!

Emma
    Hi there ejrogers1, nice to hear your wedding all went well, congratulations!

If I could ask you a few questions? Did u have the private room in the prygros restaurant? Did u have any music etc? I've never been to santorini so am just organising everything through email, so would be great if you could advise me on if I need a dj/iPod, I'd Be happy with any advise or ideas

your able to give me!

Danielle.
    Lisa your dress is gorgeous, that style will look just perfect in santorini. If you could email the menus flickerty that be great to get an idea, not sure what venues I will be offered but can always arrange one myself if the planners don't suit. My email is [email protected], thanks. Emma, congratulations hope it all went smoothly for you...hope its ok to ask you some q's...how did you find the winery as a location? what time was your wedding and is there anything you would change looking back? Were there any kids in your party? if so any advice on keeping them happy? I would be so grateful for your wise words!

suze
  • Hi Suze

Im flying out on the 17th July 2012 and having the wedding on the 21st (a year today!!!)

We are having the ceremony at Santo winery and then the recpetion at Pyrgos. We have about 10 children under the age of 6 going, so needed a venue that we could keep them contained in! I did want a beach reception, but had all sorts of nightmares about children running off onto the beach at night.

I have organised it with Micheal at weddings-in-santorini and he has been AMAZING. he replies to emails so quickly, and has all the answers plus more.

I am actually a travel agent, so have found the hotel part quite straight forward and have opted for Kamari.

After reading everyones posts, its now clear why the accomodation during those weeks is selling so fast!!!

Angela x
    Hi angela, we are flying out on the 17th too from manchester. our travel agent said we needed to be there a full week before we could get married and also that the winery wouldn't do a saturday wedding!! Yours is on the saturday I think, mmm has out travelagent been telling porkies!!

I wonder has anyone got their friends and family for the whole two weeks with them? We have and I'm wondereing now if would have been nice to have the first week to ourselves!! Is anyone booking a seperate hotel for a couple of nights to have abit of privacy/pampering. Sounds nice but don't think budget will stretch that far and if i knoe friends are around I think i'd be wondereing what they up to and want to join them after a few hours!! I'm hoping everyone will get on ok as its family and kind of seperate groups of friends and everyone is so different, don't want any stress while there about where to eat/ what to do etc I just want it to be relaxed and laidback it will have to be in the july heat! A year today and i'll be there!!!!

suzex
  • Suze...

The minimum residency that travel agents put in place, isnt compulsory. i work for First Choice, and the reason we have that rule to to complete paperwork in resort etc.

But when i contacted Micheal at weddings-in-santorini he said there is NO minimum residency at all in Greece. Apparantly you can turn up the day before!

I wonder if the agent cannot get the winery for the saturday because they cannot get the contract...? I booked direct so that maybe why.

Have you booked the wedding package thru the agent?

I feel exactly the same about staying in a nicer hotel for a couple of nights! im worried i'll be missing out on the fun whilst im 10 miles away in a secluded hotel!

I think i will have to learn to spread myself think though, as i know what you mean about random groups of friends and family all on the same holiday!

Have you looked at dresses yet? I need controlling on that front! everything ive looked at is going to melt me to death.
    Quoted:
    Thanks for the info Jo I'd love to see pictures if that's ok. I'll message you my facebook details so you can add me. Do you know whether the Almira use the entire restaurant for the reception or is there usually other people there as well? That's good to know about the drinks package, i think we'll be doing that as well. Don't think we'll have too much difficulty each getting our 27 euros worth!

Hi,

At the Almira Tavern the wedding party have tables inside, though as you can see from the photos I think they have doors that open up the space. The area outside literally on the other side of the road is used for paying customers, so there will be some mixing, but generally, from what I have read, customers leave the wedding party alone.

Jo.
    Quoted:
    Hi, its great to get people adding to this thread! Must say last few days been a mare for me - thinking of eloping to bermuda or somewhere! family members are being so indecisive and I'm the one that keeps having to ring the travel agent to change the plans! The travel agent will be assigning us a wedding planner not sure who it is. Lisa I will be there same time as you, we get there on the 17th july and the wedding will be the week after where are you staying?

its good to hear others with children in the party are going, I kind of dismissed santorini at first as thought its not a place for kids but I have been reassured that thats not really the case by reading various reviews, mainly on trip advisor. Is the almira near the beach then? not decided on reception venue and I would like to do an open bar for the guests. I think my wedding will be about 5 and I thought it would be nice to stay up there(winery) and watch the sunset but that might be getting late then, so not sure what to do. Jo I have seen your post somewhere else hope you have sorted a dress now. Went and looked at some dresses a few weeks ago but wanted to hold off until the plans were 100 % definate, but worried as it will be too hot to wear spanx!!!

suzex

Suzetobe,

My dress is at the seamstress to be altered. It will look lovely when finished. Please be warned ladies, do not buy from the internet where the dresses are made in China/Hong Kong! The second dress I bought I might have well used as dish rags it was so poor! The third and final dress, it is beautiful but they cocked up the sleeves, length, no press studs for the buttons to do up, no hook for the train! Other than that, it is okay!

H2B and I are on a tight budget, so I couldn't afford getting dresses in the UK which is why I did it. I would have gone to places like Debenhams and Monsoon but they don't do dresses in my size.

Jo.
    Quoted:
    Hi Suze

Im flying out on the 17th July 2012 and having the wedding on the 21st (a year today!!!)

We are having the ceremony at Santo winery and then the recpetion at Pyrgos. We have about 10 children under the age of 6 going, so needed a venue that we could keep them contained in! I did want a beach reception, but had all sorts of nightmares about children running off onto the beach at night.

I have organised it with Micheal at weddings-in-santorini and he has been AMAZING. he replies to emails so quickly, and has all the answers plus more.

I am actually a travel agent, so have found the hotel part quite straight forward and have opted for Kamari.

After reading everyones posts, its now clear why the accomodation during those weeks is selling so fast!!!

Angela x

Hi,

Just to add to what Angela has been saying, we are using Michael and he is brilliant. I have read so many wonderful reviews about his company and I have asked him questions in e-mails like car seats and highchairs and he always helps and replies within a day! It does seem that Santorini does get booked pretty quickly.

Jo.
  • Hi santorini brides!!

I'm recently engaged and santorini is my #1 choice for booking our wedding... I love these threads and I'm trying to get as much info as I can

I'm grateful for all of you sharing your thoughts/plans. image

Were hoping to have the Almira for our reception and also staying in kamari, I'm unsure where to have for our ceremony, does anyone know if there are any chapels close to kamira? I've never been to santorini so im clueless. Also how are you ladies planning to transport your guests from your ceremony to receptions?

Hayley x
    Hi Hayley, congratulations on your engagement! I've recently only booked mine and got all

My info from my wedding planner! We are also stayin in kamari, I'm sure there is places in kamari you could get married but think it would be more in a hotel or on the beach?

I'm gettin married in santo winery, which isn't very far from kamari but on the caldera side., we are planning on organising a coach/mini bus to take the guests. Almira is def a good choice, lots of good reviews and a good menu and well worth the price!

Danielle.
  • Thanks Danielle!! It's very exciting!!

I've contacted all the well known wedding planners and have heard back from them all, who knows which one to go with!! Michael seems to be the most popular with brides on here, is that who youre using?

Do you think a planner is a must? ... The travel agent said they will organise lots, including sort iut all the paperwork, so I'm not sure if I need both

Danielle When are you getting married?? Xx
    Hey, yes I'm using Michael, I opted for a planner over there as a friend used a travel agent planner and said they wasn't that quick replying to her, so I went with Michael, his been great so far.

I think if you are unsure of where to get married etc I'd use him

As he knows the island and could help you out much more than a English travel agent.

Mine is booked for sat 1st sep 2012 at santo winery,also travel agents tell you, you have to be in the santorini 7 days before you can get married, which isn't true. Theres no minimum residency.

Hope I'm helping,ha! Most of my info is from him and forums!

Danielle. X
  • Quoted:

'hopalong-album' when are you gettin married in august? i fly out 21st!
    We've not confirmed the date yet but we're looking at sometime in the first two weeks - I'm under strict instructions it can't be the last two weeks as my best friend is on a family holiday then. so looks like we'll probably be leaving or already back home and married(omg!) by the time you go out there
  • Quoted:
    Thanks for the info Jo I'd love to see pictures if that's ok. I'll message you my facebook details so you can add me. Do you know whether the Almira use the entire restaurant for the reception or is there usually other people there as well? That's good to know about the drinks package, i think we'll be doing that as well. Don't think we'll have too much difficulty each getting our 27 euros worth!

hopalong-album, I loved the idea of a Caldera reception as well but we'll have a couple of 2 year olds in our wedding party so ruled that out. Instead we've gone for the Caldera view ceremony (only there for an hour so easier for people to keep a close eye on them), then having the reception in Kamari by the beach as it's much more family friendly. Looks like everyone will stay in the same town as well as it's much cheaper so at least people can walk back to hotels at the end of the night.

I still need to find my dress

The more I think about it the less I'm thinnking the caldera view will work for the reception with the children although I have seen Vanilia in Firostefani which i really like the look of. Would you mind sending me the details/photos you have on Almira. Where are you getting married?

The only thing I have sorted is my dress its Eliis brides style 11044 in cloudy blue - (its a really really pale blue) image
    Quoted:
    Quoted:

I still need to find my dress

The more I think about it the less I'm thinnking the caldera view will work for the reception with the children although I have seen Vanilia in Firostefani which i really like the look of. Would you mind sending me the details/photos you have on Almira. Where are you getting married?

The only thing I have sorted is my dress its Eliis brides style 11044 in cloudy blue - (its a really really pale blue)

No problem, just let me know your email address and i can forward you the information my planner has sent me. We're having the ceremony at Santo Winery. My Dad was actually in Santorini last week as part of a cruise and called me from the winery - he was gobsmacked by the views and thought the place was absolutely stunning so that's got me even more excited about it all!

That's a beautiful dress and i think the pale blue will look stunning in Santoini.

Is anyone else thinking of flying with Easyjet or are you all getting package deals? The Easyjet flights haven't been released for next June yet and i'm constantly checking for them to become available.
  • CazLou24CazLou24 Posts: 43
    Hey everyone,

I'm soooo glad this thread has been set up! My fianc???? and I are getting married 3rd July 2012! We've booked the santo winery and santorini princess hotel. We are also using michael and elena as our planners and they have been fab! We visited santorini in June and met with Michael and he was fab! He answered all my questions, and showed us around our venues, put all my worries at rest! I saw the Almira and sphinx, and have to say, I think you could have your wedding and reception anywhere in santorini and it'd still be beautiful!

We stayed in afroditi Venus beach in kamari this year and it was fab! We've decided to stick with kamari next year, but are staying in a different hotel. It's perfect as there are a few little ones going!

Has anyone bought their dresses yet? I got mine in April, I couldn't help it. We haven't bought anything else yet though, as we wanted to wait til people had booked. Having a bit of a nightmare there, people who swore they were going are reluctant to book at the mo, and it's stressing me out! Is anyone else having this problem?

Xx