Forum home Weddings abroad

Getting married in Tuscany

Hi All,

I read through a few posts and LOVE the hints and tips given in most of them. Ok, here is my problem:

We are looking into getting married in Tuscany end of summer next year.

Questions:

1) Is July or August tooo hot for a garden ceremony? We have some older people with us and I dont want them to get upset about the heat? Is late August, beginning of September better?

2) We are looking for a venue that sleeps our immediate family of about 25 people for a week and has some more hostel/B&B options in the near neighbourhood for our guests.

3) Ideally the villa can host the civil ceremony but due to the Italien regulations we may have to get married in a town hall and have a symbolic ceremony in the afternoon. Does anyone know of a villa/farmhouse that can do both?

We are going to be in Italy in August and would love to have a shortlist of venues and contacts on hand. Its time to make a decission on date etc. Shew I dont even know where to start;o(

Thank you very much and I am looking foward to any hint and tip!

Ulli

• Stefi4Stefi4 Posts: 4
    Hi Ulli,

great choice Tuscany!! I got married there in August 2009... so I just answer your first question.

1) Is July or August tooo hot for a garden ceremony? We have some older people with us and I dont want them to get upset about the heat? Is late August, beginning of September better?

I got married on the 9th of August and it was one of the hottest days of the year. We enjoyed the day also sweating, but if you can, it surely would be better in the beginning of semptember, so the hottest period should be finished.

2) We are looking for a venue that sleeps our immediate family of about 25 people for a week and has some more hostel/B&B options in the near neighbourhood for our guests.

The Etruscan coast offers many locations, agriturismi, where you can reserve also the rooms for the 25 people - I think you won't have problems to find a location. Also here better semptember than August, because in August all Italians are on holiday and the costs double!!

3) Ideally the villa can host the civil ceremony but due to the Italien regulations we may have to get married in a town hall and have a symbolic ceremony in the afternoon. Does anyone know of a villa/farmhouse that can do both?

Unfortunately the civil ceremony has to be in a townhall or a location of the local administration. But for instance in Castiglioncello/Rosignano they have a Castle where you can do the civil ceremony - and it could be possible also an amphitheatre in the park of the castle. The sister of my husband will marry there on september this year.

If you need some more info and help to get in touch with the locations etc. you can contact Moonalisa. They have there office right in the castle I talked you about. [email protected]

Saluti from Tuscany image
  • MrsLlew1MrsLlew1 Posts: 116
    i didnt get married in tuscany but went on holiday there recently. We went to a place called Villa Dianella (near Vinci)for a wine tasting - they do weddings and it was absolutely beautiful. We had a good nose round and it was stunning.
  • Hi Ulli,

Congratulations and good choice!

We're getting married on the border of Tucany and Umbria next July and having an outodoor ceremony, although we're probably going to get married in London before we fly out as the paperwork is a bit of a nightmare and lots of people have had things go wrong from what I've read.

The villa we've chosen is called Villa Baroncino, we stumbled across it on Google and we're so pleased we did. The owner and his staff help you coordinate the day, suggest suppliers etc and as they do a wedding a week so they know what they're doing by all accounts. It can sleep up to 51 people (you don't have to have full occupancy) and you have it for a full week. Marco (the owner) also has a smaller villa nearby called San Crispolto if you wanted something a little smaller.

Anyway, check it out. We're super excited and the best part is they have an online budget estimate calculator which will give you a very good indication of what the wedding will cost, just email Marco for a login and password.

Hope that help!

Alecia

xo
  • claireo5claireo5 Posts: 64
    Hi Ulli,

Im getting married next August (29th) on the border of Tuscany/Umbria. The villa we are staying at Villa San Crispolto which is like a large farmhouse which sleeps i think around 26 people. They do have a little chapel in the grounds but it won't be a legal ceremony. We have opted to get married in Cortona Town Hall as it looks stunning and i like the idea of arriving in the square where all the locals are!! We then head back to the villa for the wedding reception in the marquee on the grounds.

This is all being organised by Romantic Italian Weddings which you'll find online and they have videos you can watch which will give you a better idea of what to expect. The do all the organisation through an 8 step plan which sounds like my kind of wedding. They will also reccommend other accommodation in the area for your other guests.

Keep us updated with your plans!! xx
  • Claire05 - fab to meet another Marco bride image Ulli, definitely check both villas out, you won't regret it!
  • I got married in Villa San Crispolto last year. www.sancrispolto.it

It was absolutely fantastic! It can sleep up to 23 people. I got married in Cortona Town Hall which is a beautiful town hall and the way Marco (the villa owner) organises the ceremony, it is a really special ceremony. I have never heard of any of the previous brides have gone through any hastle at all with the paperwork. A friend of mine got married in Tuscany and organised it all herself. She said the paperwork was a nightmare but Marco works with a company who does everything for you. I sent two emails, thats all. Easy! You do need to get a certificate of no contest, but that involves a quick trip to your local registrar, quick interview and some paperwork proving who you are. Two weeks later you get a certificate that you send to the company dealing with the paperwork. There were no problems with changing my name on return.

I really do recommend Marco and Villa San Crispolto. It is beautiful and the service he provides in outstanding. I was recommended the place on this site and its the best decision I ever had to make. We had to wait two years to find a date that worked as Im a teacher but I dont think you have to wait as long anymore.

Good luck, I hope you find what you are looking for.
  • hiya, we're looking to get married in tuscany next year.... prebooked the venue and going to see it and meet the wedding planner in a month... shes been amazing so far so just wanted to pass on the link - look up infinity wedding i cant wait to start proper planning the wedding with them.

or try Tuscan Dreams - most of their venues are including accommodation. good luck xx
  • Hi,

I'm getting married in tuscany in 6 weeks. When i initially spoke to my planner about dates for our wedding, she advised not to have our wedding in july or august as it would be very hot. Also italians holiday in August, shops/suppliers/places close during August - and like another lady posted things are also alittle more expensive in august.

I was told the best time to have a wedding in italy was either may or september as the weather is lovely- not too hot.

I'm getting married outside on the grounds of this place (Villa il Castagno)

weblink- http://www.ilcastagno.net/eng/index.asp

The villa accommodates approx 20-25 people, and has 1-4 bedroom apartments surrounding the villa. All- the villa & apartments are in a gated complex, and it has a lake and 2 swimming pools on the site.

You can have your civil ceremony in the garden of the villa, and have your reception there too.... evefrything all in one place.

Good luck