Newly engaged - wedding aborad 2013! need advice!

Hi everybody, just wanted to introduce myself! i'm helen and i'm newly engaged, we got engaged a few weeks ago in Rome and now we're trying to plan our wedding!

We have our heart set on marrying abroad, either cyprus or greece! ive got loads of wedding brochures but its all too overwhelming and i feel very scared about deciding which country to marry in and what venue!

i would love it if anybody could give me any tips or their experiences with particular holiday companies as i dont know anybody who has got married abroad before!

also we are hoping to marry in july 2013 does anyone know when we can book it?

i've also been looking at santorini and there is a wedding planner online who looks good but im just worried about not booking it through a travel agent!

i'm so glad ive come across this website! im the first out of my friends to get engaged so ive no ones advice to use!

thanks

helen xxxxxxx

• beckyboo84beckyboo84 Posts: 15
    Hi we are also aiming to marry in 2013 but around may time. We have decided on Mexico and plan to use Thompson as one of my best friends used them for her wedding and she said they were fantastic and you could be as involved as you like with reguards to your wedding arrangements or they are happy to do everything if your wanting to take a back seat. I just wouldnt be able to cope with arranging everything myself abroad so this is probs the best option for us.

As far as booking it, We have been told that we cant book until next may when the prices come out for 2013.

Becky x image
  • I'm not sure whether you can booka definte date for 2013 in Cyprus, but we have used Linda from Paphos Total weddings, we met her when we were on holiday and she's been absolutley brilliant, can't fault her

From what I've heard you can get a lot more flexibility booking with an independant planner than through a travel agent

I loved the look of Santoniri too but decided against it in the end as it's very espensive and not great for disabled access which we needed for some of our guests
  • NurseYatesNurseYates Posts: 472
    Hi,

We have booked our wedding venue via a planner for the 30th May 2013 in cyprus.

We just have to wait to book the holiday, flights until next April/May.

Good luck x
  • Dan0109Dan0109 Posts: 114
    Congratulations, it's all very over-whemling, I'm marrying in santorini 2012, I've booked through a wedding planner and cannot recommend it enough! They seem to no more about the island than travel agents, best to do what you feel comfortable with! You can book that far inadvance for your wedding but flights and holiday you may have to wait till next year till the flights are available!

Good luck and again congrats!

Danielle.
  • Congrats on your engagement. I am in the very early stages of planning my wedding too however we are looking at 2014 as we need to save some pennies first. One of the things that is swaying me towards cyprus over anywhere else is the fact that it is all done in english. You dont need to get any of your documents translated and certified as with greece, the ceremony is performed in english rather than greek with a translator and your marriage cert is issued in english so no translating back.

Also i am looking to plan my wedding through an independant wedding planner as you have more say over the date and time of the wedding etc where as with a tour op they give you a date and most of the time you dont find out the time until you are in resort. I havent decided yet who but it will prob be either aisle of love or medweds.
  • SuomibrideSuomibride Posts: 216
    HI,

Definitely use an independent wedding planner as the ladies say above, they know the area and will help recommend the right hotel/apartment for you.

You'll be able to start to plan your wedding day immediately and get prices quickily. I've heard recently that couples using Thomson don't even get prices/contact from the in-resort wedding co-ordinator until they arrive at their hotels in Crete.

Have fun planning your wedding.

Xx

PS: I married on Crete and am now an independent wedding planner. x
  • Thanks everybody for all your comments! they have been so so helpful! still thinking about santorini, and will definitley go for an independent wedding co-ordinator!

thanks

helen
  • Quoted:
    HI, Definitely use an independent wedding planner as the ladies say above, they know the area and will help recommend the right hotel/apartment for you. You'll be able to start to plan your wedding day immediately and get prices quickily. I've heard recently that couples using Thomson don't even get prices/contact from the in-resort wedding co-ordinator until they arrive at their hotels in Crete. Have fun planning your wedding. Xx PS: I married on Crete and am now an independent wedding planner. x

thank! do you plan weddings in crete? if so can you give me any more details? my email is [email protected]

thanks! xx
  • Quoted:
    Congratulations, it's all very over-whemling, I'm marrying in santorini 2012, I've booked through a wedding planner and cannot recommend it enough! They seem to no more about the island than travel agents, best to do what you feel comfortable with! You can book that far inadvance for your wedding but flights and holiday you may have to wait till next year till the flights are available! Good luck and again congrats! Danielle.

Thanks for your comment, how have u found the process of marrying in santorini? i am thinking about going through a wedding coordinator called Anna, she sounds fab Have u heard of her? Have u had any problems with organising anything?xx
  • Beccie1011Beccie1011 Posts: 802
    We have booked our Cyprus wedding with Kerry through Aisle of Love, she is brilliant!! We get married on the 04th June 2013 and had our date confirmed straight away and we will know the time of our wedding around Oct/Nov this year.

I personally wouldnt book through a tour operator as i have heard you dont find out your wedding date until about 6 weeks before! We are already able to start planning what we want and i email Kerry a lot with questions and she gets back to you more or less within 24 hours and caters for any special requirements you have.

Hope this helps, good luck xxx
  • Quoted:
    We have booked our Cyprus wedding with Kerry through Aisle of Love, she is brilliant!! We get married on the 04th June 2013 and had our date confirmed straight away and we will know the time of our wedding around Oct/Nov this year. I personally wouldnt book through a tour operator as i have heard you dont find out your wedding date until about 6 weeks before! We are already able to start planning what we want and i email Kerry a lot with questions and she gets back to you more or less within 24 hours and caters for any special requirements you have. Hope this helps, good luck xxx

Sorry to gatecrash, can i just ask what sort of deposit you have to pay kerry upfront to set the date and secure the venue etc as im pretty new to this. we are hoping for may 2014 but i really need to get saving up so it will give me an idea of what im going to need.
  • Dan0109Dan0109 Posts: 114
    Hi there, I have only just booked the wedding and reception which was booked in a hour deposit paid no problems! I'm using Michael from weddings-in-santorini, who is brilliant and he emails back straight away which is good! I have heard of a anna (only from forums) but a few I read was pretty bad (it could be a different one thou) trip advisor I found fab for deciding try checkin that out! Anymore questions u got im more than happy to try and answer, Good luck I can wait to marry there it looks beautiful!!!

Danielle. image
  • Congratulations! But why didn't you think of France? They have really nice beaches and venues.

You might think that getting married in France is complicated when living abroad, and Yes it is ! But Your Wedding In France can make your dream comes true ! Your Wedding In France's team provides you the expertise to make it easy and smooth. Getting married in the country of Love has never been that simple ! For more information visit our website www.yourweddinginfrance.com and don't hesitate to contact us for furthermore details!

I am available to answer any question you may have. I will be glad to help you!

Best regards,

Virginie
  • Congratulations!! It is an overwhelming experience if you have not had any friends who have got married abroad. I agree with a lot of the comments above and as a wedding planner in Kos I thoroughly recommend that you choose an independant planner as we do give the personal service and are with you up to almost 12 months in advance planning and discussing your wedding. If you choose a tour operator you might not hear from them until you actually get to your chosen resort. There are a lot of wonderful places in Europe; I am biaised and going to recommend Kos. I would however suggest you go to the National Wedding Show and speak with some of the planners from all different places in the world and they will put your mind at rest. Good luck - there are plenty of us on here to help if you need it xxxx
  • Hi,

I got married in Sicily and it was amazing.

I used a wedding planning called marry in sicily

Jane

• Hi,

We have booked our wedding for August 2013 through Kerry @ Aisle of Love and have already had our date confirmed, our first choice date was already booked!!!

& then we are just going to book the holiday next year when the dates become available!

From endless googling and forums I've got the impression its better to book the actual wedding with a planner rather than a travel agent as you can get your date earlier, quicker reply to emails etc. My friend works at Thomson and i was going to book through them but when i found out kerry could give me a date now i choose Aisle of Love otherwise i would of had to wait till May next year to book anything & I had read reviews of people only getting confirmed wedding dates 6 weeks before they fly and even then they were "subject to change" when booking with a Travel Agent!

I am getting married @ Capo Bay Hotel, Protaras Cyprus on the 2nd August and have already booked the photographer & venue!

• amyh81amyh81 Posts: 109
    We've booked for 31st May 2013 in the Algarve through a wedding planner. I don't think I'd manage at all without one! (way too disorganised!!) We've been out to Portugal and met the planners and they took us round various venues. They were so lovely and really looking forward to planning our wedding with them
  • J0BABYJ0BABY Posts: 19
    Congratulations image

If you are thinking about getting married in Cyprus I can recommend The Wedding Organisers & Coordinators of Cyprus. They have been in the wedding industry for many many years and have created their own networks providing you with the best professionals in the wedding industry in Cyprus. They will have best deals and they will be alot cheaper than tour operators, all you need to do is contact them they will organize absolutely everything to perfection and just the way you want it, all you will need to do is book your flight and have absolutely no worries.

You can read other couples reviews on their facebook page and see how happy they where with the services provided. I cannot recommend enough.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-wedding-Organisers-Coordinators-Cyprus-Photopia-Gardens-of-Eden/101541106590719

Good luck with all your planning. x