Wedding Budget crisis

Hi Everyone

my day is just getting worse, after goign back over the budget asi had a few prices back today and they were way more than we had estitamated due to the fact of what teh wedding planner told us. any how we can only possibly save £21000 and the wedding is going to coast more like £24,000 does any one no of way to cut teh cost of a wedding in florence

• MissJ84MissJ84 Posts: 272
    wen is the wedding? Have u booked anywhere yet?

is ur wedding planner charging...do u really need them?

try nagotiating (cnt spell sorry)...shop around, just like u would for insurance or mobile packages...shop around and then go back and say, "this person does this offer for this much...can u match it?"

hope this helps a little.

I do think £24000 is a lot for a wedding, ours is half of that but then i dnt want a big wedding. Its only as much as u make it and if ur dad is paying for ur wedding then u do need to realisticly think about wot he can afford for ur day. he may b ur dad but its ur wedding and maybe ur partner and u could contribute more.

• BiffsWifeBiffsWife Posts: 820
    Can you give us a breakdown of your budget, ie cost of venue, dress etc? We might be able to help you cut back on a few things.

I agree, £24,000 is a lot of money to spend x
  • sarahs1982sarahs1982 Posts: 441
    Ours is coming to 24k too but we have a lot of optional bits we have chosen to add on to ours so we could have easily cut back if we needed to. What things are coming out particularly expensive? Is there anything you'd be prepared to go without to reduce cost? If you give us a little breakdown we can try and help you out hun x.
  • Gosh 24K seems an awful lot for a wedding abroad. Were looking to budget around £3.5 - 4K on top of the cost of the holiday to cyprus but then we dont really want a big fancy wedding. Just a nice ceremony, some lovely photos and then a meal in a taverna afterwards with greek dancing or summot afterwards as we are having a party when we get back.

Are you paying for your families flights and accomodation because maybe if you are you could politely ask them to pay for their own x
  • Jokaty82Jokaty82 Posts: 1,908
    We are having quite a full fancy wedding in Cyprus for about 8-9 grand.

What on earth is costing 24 grand, that seems such a huge amount, I am sure you can cut back on stuff to bring it back to 21 grand xx
  • poppypowerpoppypower Posts: 171
    Hi Everyone

thankyouf ro all agreeing to help me here is a little brakedown of what things are costing, also we are paying for nearly all of the wedding apart from OH parents are also giving us a small amount £2000 round about

Venue Hire £4800

Cateres £7900

Bar £500

Bridesmaid Dresses £550

Flower Girls DRess £100

Wedding Car £600

BBQ Day Befroe £1000

Veil £500

Wedding Planner £1800

Photographer £1500

Favours £370 this includes best man bridesmaids and parents ect

Band & DJ and string Quartet £4000 although trying to get this to £3000

They are the main things the £24000 does not include are stay while we are there either so thats more on top

really hope you can help me ave tryed tyo cut things but they are things that are important
  • £1800 seems an awful lot for the cost of the wedding planner, For the ones i have been looking at in cyprus that seems to be around the price of their top packages and that includes photography, cars, flowers etc.

Do you need to spend £500 on your veil, can you maybe pick one up off ebay or 2nd hand for a fraction of the cost? My budget for my dress is not much more than that.
    some one else is paying for my dress and the veil is the thign that just completes the dress i had originally i was going to lend one but fell in love with this one am paying this off monthly

sorry mistake the wedding planner is £1600 that was the cheapest one i found when oi contacted them they were all over that price and this includes no package its just the wedding planner him self

am getting married in italy and that seems to be how most wedding planner s are with no package

i must of looked atthis spreadheet so many times i get a headache now soon as i think about it hopefully i can get my band down xx
  • cherloublackcherloublack Posts: 269
    Cripes thats a budget and a half, my wedding aborad was a quarter of that image

My only suggestions would be

* find the veil from a cheaper source you could get the exact one from ebay or another retailer.

* drop the bar and pay for toasts only, if you find you have extra dosh when your there then buy an extra round by all means no one expects to get drinks bought

* drop the bbq the night before, go for a few drinks or a meal together everyone pays for themselves

* see if you can get the favours cheaper elsewhere

* drop the string quartet

Other than that you dont really have much to play about with so you'll maybe have to come up with ways to get the extra money

imageimage
  • msmithsonmsmithson Posts: 62
    Yep I agree with the others, there are things you can drop! Forget the BBQ the night before, sorry but you cant really justify spending £500 on a glorified net curtain then cry out about your budget.

Order your veil from one those online stores like wedding veils direct where you can get a custom made one for a fraction of the price!

Wow your caterers are expensive could you not negotiate on the price or have u already paid a deposit??

How many guests are you having?

I think if you have the money spend it but being really broke can get u down and can cause arguments and u dont really want to start your marriage with a huge debt as the marriage is more important than the day although u do want it to be special!
  • mrsjenny2012mrsjenny2012 Posts: 258
    i agree with cherloublack, drop the bbq the night before and just do a meal etc with people paying for themselves. Maybe look into a cheaper bar deal aswell - most people wont take exception to paying for their own drinks etc (although i'd still probably pay for toast drinks etc)

Also how many people are you having? your catering cost made my eyes water - its more than my entire wedding!!
  • sarahs1982sarahs1982 Posts: 441
    Hi Poppy

Try not to stress out too much you will be able to reduce that budget so long as you're willing to shop around for things like your bridesmaid and flower girl dresses and your veil and things like that.

For me, I would rather drop the string quartet than the BBQ the day before only because your guests will have spent quite a bit of money travelling out to your wedding and I think its a nice thank you for them. They will probably enjoy the BBQ a lot more than listening to a string quartet anyway if they are anything like my family and friends!

We have 60 people travelling out to our wedding which is why ours has come in at around 24k so I really do feel your pain! Just don't over stretch yourselves hun, it will only put pressure on you and your H2B that you could do without in the lead up to your big day x.
  • RowenaFWRowenaFW Posts: 2,078
    Try caterers. They can probably knock things out/put things on tables rather than serve individually to save you a little. Also, your wedding cars sound like a lot. We were seeing £200-400 range for a single car for the day or a pair which go together.
    Is the veil made from gold? Lol! There is no way I could ever justify spending £500 on a veil! Its something you wear once, normally take off early! Some dresses are this price.

I agree, not sure you can get so panicky over your budget and then pay £500 for a veil.

I would source a cheaper veil and drop the string quartet - no one will mind if you have it or not and that cost is huge! xx
  • singo44singo44 Posts: 3,420
    Quoted:
    Hi Everyone

thankyouf ro all agreeing to help me here is a little brakedown of what things are costing, also we are paying for nearly all of the wedding apart from OH parents are also giving us a small amount £2000 round about

Venue Hire £4800

Cateres £7900

Bar £500

Bridesmaid Dresses £550

Flower Girls DRess £100

Wedding Car £600

BBQ Day Befroe £1000

Veil £500

Wedding Planner £1800

Photographer £1500

Favours £370 this includes best man bridesmaids and parents ect

Band & DJ and string Quartet £4000 although trying to get this to £3000

They are the main things the £24000 does not include are stay while we are there either so thats more on top

really hope you can help me ave tryed tyo cut things but they are things that are important

that is a heck of an amount for a wedding planner!!

and £500 for a veil???????????? image
  • singo44singo44 Posts: 3,420
    you could also save £1k but ditching the BBQ the day before......is that something you really need???

Me, i will be running around getting pampered/sorted! x
  • -See if caterers can work to a lowered budget, you may have to be persuasive or demanding if you have already committed or if your venue will only allow those caterers. That is a massive amount for food though!

-I don't think you can drop the veil if you are already paying it off but if you can see if you can have a cheaper replica made on ebay or the like.

-Definately agree about the string quartet. If that is massively important to you then cut band perhaps? 3 forms of music is excessive if budget is struggling.

-Why is the BBQ coming in so expensive? Can you alter this at all, you will be feeding everyone very well the next day judging by the catering costs!!

Best bet is to haggle with any supplier you havent already put a deposit on and speak to your wedding planner about helping you with keeping on budget. You are paying her well enough!

Good luck xxx
  • BiffsWifeBiffsWife Posts: 820
    Speak to your cateres - give them a budget of £5k and see what they can come up with

Cut your BBQ the night before - go out for a nice meal, everyone pay for themselves.

Cut the bar bill - pay for a toast, then like someone else said, if you have some spare money buy another round of drinks. I wouldnt expect to go to a wedding abroad and not have to pay for my own drinks or my food before, id happy to pay for myself.

Just by doing those three things, you've saved almost £4000
    Thanks for everyones replies, we were holding the BBQ as it was are way of saying thanks to everyone for coming as between 60 and 70 people are flying to Italy so this is just to say thanks its actually only 20euros per person but as were having quite alot of guests it adds up.

The veil is expensive as the designer is having to make it as i wanted a 3 tier veil this is why its so expensive but hopefully my mum will pay the remainder of this off now along with my dress she is already payign for.

I could drop the band as were havign a 3pm ceremony and wont begin the meal till about pm to 6.30 so wont actually start the night time till 9.30pm ish and we only have the venue till 1.30am so could just have one or the other and dont really think any one will notice.

would you as a guest want a band or wqould you not really notice?

string quartet are playign the ceremony in the church so think i will proberly need these also thereonly chargeing an extra £100 to play the cocktails and during the meal which i thought was really good
  • mrsjenny2012mrsjenny2012 Posts: 258
    It seems from what youve said you value the string quartet over the band so go with that!

As a guest i wouldnt notice an absence of a band - especially if i'd already been listening to the quartet earlier. xx
    thanks i think i might cut the band then as this owuld save alot of money,

My cateres are providing everything from the wine to the food and the tables ect that is why the price is a little more i forgot to mention this.

We were only paying for the bar as we had to pay a small fee any how for the cateres to come and set the bar up so thought we may as well have the free bar as it wasnt much more.

I negitated the price down on the BBQ and my photographer just need to do the same with the cars now and some other little bits that would be greta am just not very good at it image
  • These have all mostly been mentioned but my 'two penneths worth' is...

Cars, how many are you getting for that price, who are they for and what distance is it?

I seriously think you need a different wedding planner, that's a huge amount of money - not one wedding planner I've looked at costs anywhere near that amount!!!

How many people are in the band? I've been quoted nowhere near that figure for a band! Is it someone famous?? (I'm not being ridiculous, I work in events and you can get some reasonably well known people for near the £5k mark!)

What are your caterers providing for £112 a head? I would no way be providing a BBQ the night before if the meal is so expensive, 5* hotels in central London do more reasonable 3 course set menus that that!

Does your venue hire include accommodation for any guests? If so could they contribute towards it?
    Completely agree Sarasapirilla - For £112 a head I would want to know my guests were getting lots.

Have all 60-70 booked their flights? Only I know with most weddings abroad, people say they are coming and then drop out you may save money like that.

You say the free bar is only costing you an extra £500, but in your OP you say how worried you are about the cost of the wedding. Is this really the case? If it was, and you were seriously worried about money then you would drop the free bar. After all £500 is a hell of a lot of money to the normal person, and im sorry but I would rather not be worried about money than provide this. Same goes with the £1000 bbq.

I know you want to thank your guests, but my guests would just have to be thankful with a £112 a head meal at these costs.

Agree a DJ and Quartet is enough, a band as well seems a bit OTT.

Wedding Planner - would no way ever pay £1800 for a planner. Would rather the hard graft and do myself then part with that amount.

Sorry I dont mean to sound unsympathetic, cos I am, I just think in your original post you sound very upset and worried, then when you drill down to the detail you are spending a fortune on things you really dont need. xx
    Also I don't think anyone has noticed it but what about high street bridesmaid dresses. You dont say how many you are having, but thats a saving in it self. You can get some lovely dresses nowadays from the likes of Warehouse, Next etc that look like bridesmaid dresses without the tag. If you are that worried about money, then you need to make these savings x
    i have already paid and bought 4 adult bridesmaid dresses and seen them on dessy and ordered them through an american website that had been recommended to me so saved a bit there

I have also bought my yougner bridesmaid dress off the high street for £50 so saved a bit there.

ave made my own invites so saved there

£112 is 2 starters 1 main and wedding cake plus cocktails and canapes and wine through the whole meal so thought this was not to bad including staff as well

there is no accomidation at venue so that is not included in the price.

most people are ready to book flights and accomidation so i know most people are going as we have not invited any cousins as we both have big familys people are asking if some one drops out can they come i want to say yes but the other half of me wants to save money.

we were thinking on saying to guests to pay 10 euros each towards BBQ as it would cost them more to go out and this way its subsidied sorry cant spell or would you insulted if some one asked you to do this.

thanks for the advice am now feelign like i can cut things out
  • MrsCorbettMrsCorbett Posts: 677
    Hi Poppy

You sound like your in a huge dilemma, and that the you have been caught up in going wild with your spending.

I am a Cyprus 2012 bride, and must admit your amount is alot for overseas. But nevertheless if it hadnt been for finding my reception venue, we had looked at alternatives in Italy and they were beyond expensive. Around the amount you are paying for your food.

I must admit with what the other brides have said about the bar people dont expect this at any wedding in the UK so i wouldnt bother with it abroad to be honest as the odd £500 here and there soon mounts up.

As for your meal, why are you going with 2 starters ahve you thought of just having one and thats it or cut the second one and offer canapes instead?

As for your veil holley molley thats loads, had you not asked if the bridal shop could loan this to you for a fee? As i am looking at the Jenny Packham Acacia headband but for £350 and would i wear it again prob NO, its alot of money and i can rent this for £60. So much cheaper.

As for the string quarted, DJ, band. This to me to be honest is too much and could be seen as i want to have everything so people can notice it. Whereas i personally would cut the band as i must admit when i have been to weddings yes they have been good but you cant beat a good DJ to get everyone dancing.

I sometimes think and hope others would agree that less can be sometime more, rather than the bigger the better.

• MrsCorbettMrsCorbett Posts: 677
    whoops just read it includes canapes, i would cut the 1 started and also the cocktails, and also think that the price is mad when its with your wedding cake not dessert.

• Quoted:
    £112 is 2 starters 1 main and wedding cake plus cocktails and canapes and wine through the whole meal so thought this was not to bad including staff as well

I would have one starter and consider if you need canapes - what time is your wedding? If you're going straight from ceremony, drinks reception to meal I'm not sure you really need them

I still think £112 is a lot even including wine.

If you consider than most 3 course sit down meals cost £40-£60 and a bottle of nice wine in a restaurant would cost say £20 (I think allowing a whole bottle per person is *more* than generous!)

That's a maximum of £80 for the meal/wine, so you're paying an additional £32 per person (£2,240) for tables/chairs and staff - I still think that's very high when you consider the wages of a waitress or waiter for a couple of hours

I'd ask for a line by line break down from the catering company as to what each item is costing and look at it that way
  • MissTuscanyMissTuscany Posts: 352
    Hi poppypower

i just pm'd you but forgot at add about this. From my pm'd message you will see how you could save some money, but i have copied and pasted some of your list below to show you a few more options:

Bridesmaid Dresses £550 - ask them to contribute, most bridesmaids are happy to do so

Wedding Car £600 - see my suggestion in the pm i sent you - i paid approx £150 SAVING of £450

BBQ Day Befroe £1000 - we were going to do this but dropped it due to expense. Instead we held a get together with lots of prosecco and nibbles/buffet at a villa my family were staying at. It was really lovely. Just used our own ipod for music. Was a nice catch up, had a laugh, and your relatives will most likely pay for the nibbles and prosecco as a treat for you...SAVING £1000

Veil £500 - I'm sure there are cheaper veils than this?

Photographer £1500 - I am happy to tell you who my photographer was..he was fab. He is also an international award winner. We paid about £1100...SAVING £400

Band & DJ and string Quartet £4000 although trying to get this to £3000 - as i said in my pm, my band was fab and cost approx £1800 (2000 euros), and we had a harpist and violinist for ceremony and cocktail reception which cost about £450....so apprix £2250....both were AMAZING by the way SAVING OF £1750!!

So i make that a possible saving of about £3600 (if i did my maths right lol).

Also, not sure what you are budgeting for flowers, but as i said in my pm...my florist was a BARGAIN!! So you might be able to save money there too.

• MissTuscanyMissTuscany Posts: 352
    P.S - i personally love live music, so i would hire a band hands down over a dj. Hence why we had harp and violin for ceremony and cocktails, followed by live band in the evening.

Don't drop your cocktail reception - ours was lovely...it is worth the extra money. I think your catering is a little pricey..we paid 100 euros pp for a cocktail reception with full buffet, canapes followed by a 4 couse sit down meal, traditional wedding cake, including all wine and water. Oh, and prosecco. Who are you using? Don't suppose it is Delizia in Florence? We found them a little overpriced and inflexible.