taking your dress on the plane??

Hi.

I have NO idea where to even start with how to get my dress on the plane! Any advice most welcomed.

We're getting married in Sorrento in June. Everything has gone (worryingly!) smoothly so far. I bought my dress MONTHS ago and am now anxiously waiting for my first dress fitting at the end of March. The lady in the dress shop said the seanstress would help out with a box/bag to take it on as hand luggage but I'm getting panicky and wondered how anyone else is handling the whole dress transportation issue.

Would love to hear from any other more organised brides to be...

Sarah

• Hi Sarah,

We're getting married in sorrento too, but in august. My dress is due in the shop sometime this month and they are keeping it there until the day before we fly. They are packing it into either a dress box or small hand luggage type case so I can take it on as hand luggage. Thomsons are completely fine with this and even gave us more allowance for it.

Lou x
  • Hello,

I am also getting married in Italy in June : )

I bought a lovely travel box from this website, and I can also use it to store my dress in afterwards ...

http://www.emptybox.co.uk/products/
  • http://www.lifememoriesbox.co.uk/travel-wedding-dress-boxes-8-c.asp

try these, I am taking mine on as hand-luggage. I am also going through firstchoice/Thomson who gave us 20k weight rather than 15 as we had booked the wedding through them too. They are fine with us taking clothes on as hand-luggage but we r still limited to one piece of hand-luggage each. Its best to check with the airlines, as I know virgin can provide their own boxes specific to their hand-luggage requirements too image
  • Quoted:
    http://www.lifememoriesbox.co.uk/travel-wedding-dress-boxes-8-c.asp

try these, I am taking mine on as hand-luggage. I am also going through firstchoice/Thomson who gave us 20k weight rather than 15 as we had booked the wedding through them too. They are fine with us taking clothes on as hand-luggage but we r still limited to one piece of hand-luggage each. Its best to check with the airlines, as I know virgin can provide their own boxes specific to their hand-luggage requirements too

That's the same company Im going to get mine from, depending on how many people you have going to your wedding that have booked with them you can get one for free (there's other gifts available too) x
  • Thanks you two. Wow! Both in Italy, how lovely. Where are you two having your ceremony?

I got my dress from a shop that sells samples so I had to take it home with me (it's sat in my spare room and i have to try VERY hard not to keep trying it on!!). I have to get it altered as I'm having the train cut off as we're getting married in the Cloisters and thought it would get really messed up in the courtyard if I kept the train on it. It's also quite a full skirt on the dress so I was worried about squishing it up when we're travelling. Altho it was a sample it was a pretty expensive dress (for our budget anyway) so I didn't want it to go in the hold if I could help it. I'd rather take it on as hand luggage if I can.

I've been worrying about alot recently!!

We are also going thro Thomsons so that site is really helpful thanks. I've bookmarked it already!

Oooooooooooooooh!! I just want to be out there now and getting on with it! I can't be doing with all this preparation and planning!!!

• Ooh! Just saw another reply. It took me so long to type my post! Thank you x
  • We're also getting married in the cloisters. It looks so pretty doesn't it, a few people I know have been and they have all said its very romantic. My dress has a small train so hoping mine doesnt get too meased up! Our reception is at relais blu then onto the foreigners for dancing later on.

Have you got much booked through thomsons? I'm panicking slightly as everything seems so easy to organise and the girls in sorrento have done everything for me, keep thinking something is going to go wrong as it can't surely be this easy to plan a wedding!
  • We booked through Thomsons, for our Maritius wedding and I took my dress in a wedding dress box bought from ebay (can find out the site name if you want, pm me if you do!)

I took the dress as my hand luggage as I was paranoid it would get on the wrong plane or be crushed etc! The company sent acid free tissue paper and full instructions on how to actually fit it in the box (I was sure it wouldnt!)

It fitted in perectly and came out at the other end relatively crease free and ready to go!

Have a lovely wedding, weddings abroad ROCK and are (in my opinion!) the only way to get married!! imageimage
  • better take it as hand luggage, depending on value may not be fully insured if in hold imagethats what i did