Forum home Weddings abroad

Wedding report Santorini 2012

Hi there,

I found these posts so useful when planning our wedding I thought i'd write about our experience.

We booked with Thomas Cook and got married at Santo winery last week, followed by a reception at Pyrgos taverna.

The winery was beautiful, they had set up the arch, lanterns and white chair covers and it really was stunning.

Artemis - the owner of Pyrgos taverna could not have been ore helpful. We had email contact with him prior to arriving but met up with him the day after we arrived. He was fantastic and worked with us and our budget to give our guests a great day. We chose one of the set menu's but he allowed us to alter this with no problem.

We found Thomas Cook challenging throughout the planning process. We had to ring 3 times just to add on the extra wedding luggage as agreed. This still was never printed on our tickets so they tried to charge us for the extra 20kg coming home.

We were informed on arrival in resort that the time of our wedding had been booked 7 months beforehand and was not as requested. If we had known this we would have tried to change the date but by then it was too late. That in itself wouldn't have bothered us but it went downhill from there:

The pricing information given to the airport (for optional extras) was incorrect and later caused us to have to raid the overdraft for further funds.

They lost one of our CD's for the ceremony and stopped my aisle song half way down, leaving us stood there bewildered.

Also the registrar pulled his phone out of his pocket 3 times during our vows (as viewed on the video when we got home!). He then took the call the moment he told my husband he could kiss the bride!

In summary, with hindisght we had a fantastic day and it worked out in the end. I am so glad we got married in beautiful Santorini and it will always be special for us. However I couldn't recommend Thomas Cook to be the ones to organise it for you.

Sorry to ramble but I hope this helps.

xx

• fawny2fawny2 Posts: 174
    Hiya,

Congratulations image Sounds like you had a great time in the end & sorry to hear you had problems with TC. To be honest i've heard many bad reports of wedding organised with all the tour operators. Really glad it did not spoil your day & you had a lovely time. image
  • MrsAtkinsonMrsAtkinson Posts: 63
    Hi Fellow Santorini Bride!! So sorry to hear about your TC problems, we are going with Santorini Weddings.... but thank you for the info on Pyrgos we are doing exactly what you are did! Santos Winery followed by Pyrgos Restaurant.image

Have a great married life! xx
  • Thanks guys, you will have an amazing day and best of luck wih your weddings x