Wedding destination ideas wanted please :)

hi I'm new to all this so any advice would be fab! My partner and I definately want to get married abroad. However his ex wife is making it difficult saying his daughter cannot attend if abroad. I'm trying to be the piece maker and come up with a compromise! So looking for a wedding destination with short flight times (max 3 hours).

Only place definately don't want to go to is Italy (previously engaged and planned wedding in Italy so holds bad memories!)

Initially thought about Spain but no clue where abouts!

Does anyone have any views on Spain or any other alternative suggestions?

Many thanks xxx image

• suebubblessuebubbles Posts: 13
    what about Portugal my daughter is getting married there in a lovely place
  • Yes Portgual is lovely. Or how about Ibiza? There are meant to be some beautiful places to marry here, and less than 3 hours.

• adelly2005adelly2005 Posts: 194
    Some short flight destinations include France, Spain, Portugal, Mallorca, Ibiza, Menorca or Gibraltar.

I say Gibraltar as I lived there for 2 years and it is quite a popular choice for weddings as it is English speaking/£ Sterling currency and I think that because it is a british overseas territory this makes the legalities for marrying there a bit simpler? I think so anyway! It is only 40 mins drive from the Costa Del Sol in Spain so lots of options for where to stay and would offer sightseeing in Gibraltar and the beaches in Spain. The botanical Gardens in Gib are particularly lovely for weddings and they have a reception venue at the top of The Rock of Gibraltar so quite an interesting place!

Just another idea for you really! image
  • 321Grace321Grace Posts: 9
    hi Wonji1 image

so you want a short way to fly and it should be abroad, so what do think about the wonderful Island Tenerife?

2 Years ago me and my sister spent our holidays there and we met a nice woman. Her name is Nadine Garcia Breuer and she is a Wedding Planer. Since then my sister new she wants a Wedding here in Tenerife. So we asked the team from My perfect wedding if they want to organize it. And i promise you it was the best idea of my sisters life. She married in fron of the sea with horses and an guitar player.

That team gave the best.

Here are the homepage and the facebook account for more information.

hi Wonji1

so you want a short way to fly and it should be abroad, so what do think about the wonderful Island Tenerife in Spain?

2 Years ago me and my sister spent our holidays there and we met a nice woman. Her name was Nadine Garcia Breuer and she is a Wedding Planer. Since then my sister new she wants to marry here in Tenerife. So we asked the team from My perfect wedding if they want to organize it. And i promise you it was the best idea of my sisters life. She married in front of the sea with horses and an guitar player.

That team gave the best.

Here are the homepage and the facebook account for more information.

homepage: Hochzeit im Ausland

facebook: https://www.facebook.com/weddingstenerife
  • amyh81amyh81 Posts: 109
    We're getting married in Portugal. Just outside albufeira. The biggest reason for us picking portugal was because my htb's brother couldn't fly so could drive down. Also half our guests are coming from Ireland so easy for them too. Also people can come for 1 or 2 nights to Portugal. We loved the idea of greece but we felt like it would be dictating peoples holiday plans as there were less

Flight options
  • I'd definitely recommend The Algarve, Portugal. We're getting married there in October this year image

The weather is usually great and the flight is just over two hours (nearest airport Faro).

We're having our reception at Lady of the Rock and the reception at Vila Vita.

Other lovely venues that we looked at include Sheraton Algarve and Alba Suites. There are lots o other options though.

Also useful for planning is the website: http://www.yourportugalwedding.com/ (lots of different suppliers all in one place)

xx
  • MariaGorMariaGor Posts: 4
    Wow Grace, i was so amazed by the homepage of the wedding planer in Tenerife. Its such a beautful island and yes me and my partner will organize My perfect wedding Team to arrange our wedding imageBut we????re not sure wich wedding we want maybe at the boat or at the beach. But thank you so much for this advice. I am looking forward to marry at 20.09.12 i cant sleep yet image
  • Wonji1Wonji1 Posts: 10
    Many thanks to everyone who have taken the time to reply to my thread it really is greatly appreciated image Portugal sounds lovelyimage brideabroad2 / amyh81 can I ask who you have booked with?

Adelly2005 I also used to live in Gibralter! From the age of 5-8 as my dad was in the navy. I would have LOVED to get married in Gib but my parents married there and are currently going through a messy divorce so think getting married there would bring back unwanted memories! image when did you live there?

We had initially thought about Costa Blanca area but not sure of the area really. Also now slightly worried about the Spanish bank bail out situation! Would people get wedding insurance before they even book anything?

321Grace- that website looks lovely image just wondering how long the flight is to Tenerife? May be a bit too long given the battle that we are having with fiancee's ex!

Once again thanks for all your advice image starting to get excited image x
  • amyh81amyh81 Posts: 109
    We have a wedding planner who we booked through - Algarve Wedding Planners (Paula and Karina) and they are amazing. they reply so quickly and nothing is too much trouble. We spent a day with them last year in Portugal and they drove us round lots of different venues. We picked the Grande Real Santa Eulalia for our ceremony and reception. There were other venues we loved too but this one suited us the most.

There are so many hotels for our guests to stay at that are really cheap so its not asking too much of people to come for a couple of days.