Decorating reception room on a budget...

Hi ladies,

I'm getting married abroad this year and having a party / reception when we get back in a local hotel. I've been looking into ways to decorate the room of the hotel function room we're using to make it look really lovely.

I have looked into the options for draping the walls and ceiling but it's really expensive and it doesn't seem possible to do it yourself? (unless anyone could offer advice?).

I was wondering if anyone has any advice/tips on cost effective ways of making the room look 'wow' without breaking the bank? And maybe even making it feel a little Greek image

Thank you!x

• mrshughes2013mrshughes2013 Posts: 2,063 New bride
    Hi hun

One idea given to me (to tie in with the abroad wedding) was to have fishbowl centrepieces woth sand and shells in them

Have some candles in the sand to light on the evening, pretty and effective

You can get a bag of children's play sand for around £3

Pick the shells from the beach in Greece and candles are mega cheap from ikea

Lots of brides are selling on their fishbowls so keep an eye out for them

Use ivory and golden colours to decorate-local markets sell material fairly cheap on a roll and some gold organza for bows

Greek style I would maybe have mini ouzo bottles as favours or have a little cake stand with different baklavas/kadafi on it?

Hope that helps
  • nats2013nats2013 Posts: 6,253
    The cheapest way is to go with what the room has to offer...trying to change it into something its not. If you do for lots of fabric buy it by the roll and ask for a discount for buying a roll