Forum home Weddings abroad

reception back home?

after getting married in cyprus we are going to have a reception when we get back is any one else? and how long after your back are you doing it?

• MrsH2013MrsH2013 Posts: 842

Yep we are, we're getting married on the 6th June but we are on holiday until the 15th. We are having our reception on the 29th June. We was going to have it the week before but our friends are getting married that weekend. 29th June is pay weekend as well so thought that'd be a good thing to factor in after shelling out for a wedding and holiday! 

• We're having it the week after we get back (OH is a firefighter so also had numerous friends' shifts to take into account! - Luckily, fell just right).

Also, we didn't want to go into December when it is just Christmas menus (and prices) when we want bajan BBQ!

• PopsyxxPopsyxx Posts: 1,009

We will hopefully get married on 27th then have th party the 27th the following month as that day then falls on a Saturday x 

• MrsTS2014MrsTS2014 Posts: 25

We are getting married in May 2014 but are having the reception in August 2014 x

• We are getting married the 30th May and having our reception on 15th June (the week after we get back) image

• sal4sal4 Posts: 20

the reason i ask if we were going to do it the following weekend afetr we are back but they are booked up but have the following week available so was wondering if was too big a gap my partner thinks would be strange going back to work and seeing people and talking about wedding and then when reception arrives not having anything else to say to them about it lol ... we would be arriving home on the 24th may and next available date is 6th june....?

• Debs270613Debs270613 Posts: 225

Hi Sal. We are getting married on the 27thJune in the caribbean and having our reception on 20th July back here. We don't get back from the wedding until the 6th so gives us a couple of weeks to sort out final details with the venue.  image

• sal4sal4 Posts: 20

ah so it seems its pretty normal to wait a couple of weeks then image

• AsherAsher Posts: 92

Hi all,

I haven't even booked my wedding abroad yet, but getting there slowly! we now know where we want to go and on what dates! just need to book it!

the bit I think will be more of a hassle to sort out is the party back home! anyone else thinking like that? I would like to have a meal with close family and some pictures to be taken about 4ish and then an evening reception.  The problem I am having is thinking how we go about a party without it feeling to guests like nothing is really happening apart from seeing the bride in her dress if you see what I mean.

I would like the reception to feel like it's worth while attending without it costing a fortune, any ideas for the evening? h2b does not want a first dance, as it's not his sort of thing and does not want to do speeches and that is the whole reason we are going away on our own to get married.

The evening I would like to be special for everyone that is attending, but need to have something there that will keep people entertained.

What is everyone else planning once they are back from their wedding abroad and what sort of evening invites are people sending out?

I do like Barbados2013 idea a message in a bottle, where did you get your's from?

thanks

Ashley

• HI Ashley,

I made them myself but you can buy for £7.99 each (mine have cost around £1.50 each in materials and may start selling them actually!)

Where have you decided on then for your destination?!

As for celebration, we didn't want the whole formal thing so ours is just a buffet with drinks and dancing (Cost is going to be around £1200 for 100 people although we'll do drinks vouchers for family and close friends so will end up being closer to £1500). That way we don't have to have cake, first dance etc... We are having a postbox, decorations and a wall with all funny pictures of us together over the last 15 years (and maybe some childhood ones). The party has been the most hassle out of everything. I line in NOttingham but family are in North Wales and all over (therefore expected me to have a party in North Wales even though WE and lots of our friends live in Nottingham). Anyway, they're mostly over it (although have had to give in to one relation who 'can't' stay away overnight from their 13 and 10 year olds ( no reason other than won't) so they 'have to' come. Have cleared this with then venue but they have to be out by 9pm... been a major headache though family wanting to dictate and tell me what I should and shouldn't be doing (including my mum telling me that I shouldn't invite grandparents as she wanted to have a drink and not look after them!!!)... Glad I am going away!

Sue x

Asher, we are having a boat party with a Buffet and disco. Have arranged for a photographer to take a group photo on the bow before we depart. We are having a cake ( cos h2b gran insisted on doing it), MIL2B is providing a sweet buffet as well as shes started doing it. Prob not doing speeches but do want to thank people for coming.

Invite wise, we've only sent out one type just saying 'come celebrate our recent marriage'. Anyone coming away with us has been word of mouth. Tbh the worst part has been venue and caterers as we would have much rather done it ourselves. but I did the typical thing of falling for the venue.......image

why do you feel you need to have something to keep people entertained? receptions are where you greet your family n friends as a married couple so anyone there should be celebrating you as a couple image or do you mean like a disco or something?

• LeaBLeaB Posts: 1,706

I originally wasn't going to have a party home, but now I have chosen my dress, I want one. (Any excuse to wear it again) We get married 29th May 2014 and get home on the 1st June, I have been ringing around and there aren't that many dates left so I am hoping for the 7th or 14th June.

Just need to decide where I want it and to persuade the h2b x

Can I juts ask how much you are all paying for you back home parties? Wherever I have enquired have been ridiculously overpriced and no where seems to allow outside catering anymore image

• Lea_B, We have kept ours very simple and just having a party at our local image Its costing about £600 altogether. To me it kind of defeated the object of getting married abroad to come home and spend £2000-3000 on a reception lol x

• AsherAsher Posts: 92

FutureMrsBull,

Yes I think you are right, spending £2,000-£3,000 on an evening do does defect the object of going away to get married! £600 bargain that's reasonable, living in Guernsey is costly and not alot of choice being on a small island and not all hotels do evening receptions.

x

• heliganedenheliganeden Posts: 1,848

We didn't have a party back home, part of our reasoning for having a wedding abroad was to keep it simple, small and intimate so it seemed pointless to then have a big party which was the opposite of that! Plus we had a big engagement party so it just seemed overkill

You'll find most venues which are normally wedding venues will charge you exactly the same as if it was as wedding, so if you want to keep costs down you'll need to find alternative venues image

• heliganedenheliganeden Posts: 1,848
    FutureMrsBull wrote (see)

Lea_B, We have kept ours very simple and just having a party at our local image Its costing about £600 altogether. To me it kind of defeated the object of getting married abroad to come home and spend £2000-3000 on a reception lol x

Agreed!! image

I totally agree, i refuse to pay that much! Wasn't originally going to have a party but some of my dads side are old and don't travel and they all said if we had a party at home then they would come.

I have been given a quote from a rugby club which is very reasonable so just need to price a dj and caterers. Think it could be done for £500-£600. Just waiting for h2b to get back to me on whether the rugby club he coaches at will let us have the room for cheap or free (got to be cheeky!)

Our reception party is prob costing as much as our actual wedding. Mainly due to venue, bar bill and catering (unforseen but we had put the deposit down and loved the venue).

Our wedding is coming in at about £7k in total (reception & holiday/wedding), which is way cheaper than most plus we've been lucky in that our families have helped us out which has meant we have been (literally) able to to push the boat out a bit.

If we didnt have the help, we would have budgeted about £800 all in and done the catrering ourselves (M&S and Waitrose do some lovely platters of food!) and used somewhere with a bar. But (hopefully!) you only get married once! image