Why abroad?

What it says in the title basically!!

Why did you decide to get married abroad? Was it a joint decision and did you have to do any soul searching before deciding not to get married in the UK?

• PopsyxxPopsyxx Posts: 1,009

Cheaper, more chance of sunshine and don't have to invite people who you don't really want there!xx

Seriously though have both just always wanted to get married abroad! We love our holidays so it represents us! And don't like the idea of having lots of people there!Xx

• i I absolutely agree and for us it was long divorced parents. pMy dad told me that he wouldnt come if mum was there. Been divorced and remarried twenty years..... ! 

• it didnt take much for us to decide.... plus wanted it to be about us not feeding and entertaining people i wouldnt see afterwards not to mention the stress and emotion due to our circumstances. We are having a party to which both the parents have been invited.... no response from dad yret but its early days ! image

Some people see a wedding as a free day out I think!! going abroad isn't going to be free for them!!xx

• AsherAsher Posts: 92

Joint decision, didn't want the hassle of organising a wedding for everyone that you hardly ever see, h2b parents have split up

guaranteed weather abroad 

cheaper

more relaxing 

x

• Debs270613Debs270613 Posts: 225

Most of the above...plus the only thing I've ever been certain of was a beach wedding And the uk wasn't going to cut it on that front! It's worked out about the same for cost as to what we are are paying for an evening party back here. And so much less stress, not worrying about bridesmaids, table decorations, etc.

we have had wobbles about whether its right since some of our close family cannot attend for financial or work related reasons but it is right for us, and since its our wedding, that is what matters. Everyone will be there to celebrate when we come back (plus second chance to wear the dress!) image

• AsherAsher Posts: 92

Yes totally agree debs, it's about what you both want and not want everyolose else wants you to have, yes there are always going to be disappointed people.  Marriage is about a commitment to one another.  My wedding is going to be just the two of us, but keep changing my mind on where to get married!Original know it's going to be next march/April and I know we will be doing las vegas as that is where we would both like to go to celebrate my husbands 40th birthday.  We were looking at 8 nights Barbados and 5 in Vegas but is working out to be quite expensive plus flying time from barbados to vegas is 8 hours! Just don't want to fly to Vegas for 5 days and come home, want to combine it with somewhere else.

ashley