how does this sound and who pays ?

We`re thinking of getting married in Spain and have found a fantastic large luxury villa where our friends and family could stay. We`ve asked our friends and some have said they would make a holiday out of it and stay for a week.  Do you think it would be fair to ask those staying for the week to contribute to the cost of the villa, say £150 per couple? I don't want to seem ungenerous we can't really be expected to foot the bill for accommodation can we? 

WHat have others done ?

• Malb2b13Malb2b13 Posts: 679

we are marrying abroad and guests are paying for their accomodation. i would have thought £150 for accomodation is less than it would be for a couple for a week in spain? supose it depends on time of year etc x 

• MrsH2013MrsH2013 Posts: 842

Yeah I think that's pretty fair if they are happy to stay there! You do know you can't legally marry in Spain though?!

• MrsVJB2BMrsVJB2B Posts: 372

Would they be paying their own flights too? I think it's fair to expect them to contribute along with air fairs. Ole!

• Sammi1903Sammi1903 Posts: 81

We are getting married in greece and have asked our guest if they want to join our wedding then they are mnore than welcome but we cant afford to pay for everyone to join us,.. your be surprised how many of your loved ones will say they are going, we have decided to stay in a quite expensive hotel and so many of our guests are staying there with us too image ! Exciting !!

• J H-OJ H-O Posts: 148

Sounds reasonable to me - I wouldn't expect to go abroad and have my accommodation paid.

Sounds great - have a wonderful time! X

• MrsB2B8MrsB2B8 Posts: 39

Were getting married abroad and our guests are paying for themselves, not 1 guest has expected it to be paid for them. Just wondering if your catholic or if either of you are a resident in spain as they have pretty strict rules when it comes to marrying there? x

• LeaBLeaB Posts: 1,706

We are getting married in Portugal and have the boutique hotel exclusively for the week for our wedding. We are paying £200pp towards their hotel cost which means they have to pay £340pp which includes half board for the week plus their flight costs. 

£150 seems very reasonable! As mentioned above though you do know you can't legally marry abroad unless you are Spanish or been resident for 2 years?! 

• heliganedenheliganeden Posts: 1,848

We got married in Cyprus and all our guests paid for their own flights and accomodation

But - like someone said before, you can't get married legally in Spain if you're not resident in the country

• thanks for the replies that's good to know, I can't really imagine any of our friends expecting us to pay, but I do feel a bit guilty about asking them to come all the way to Spain. On the other hand they've all said they're looking forward to it and it will be a holiday for them, and I would love it if I was invited to a wedding abroad.

Yes, we know it won't be legal but we will have a wedding blessing in Spain and avoid all the paperwork involved in marrying abroad in other countries. We'll have the legal ceremony here in the UK.

• heliganedenheliganeden Posts: 1,848
    Yasmin hall wrote (see)

Yes, we know it won't be legal but we will have a wedding blessing in Spain and avoid all the paperwork involved in marrying abroad in other countries. We'll have the legal ceremony here in the UK.

There's hardly any paperwork to get married legally Cyprus

We had to get one form signed by a solicotor that you print out yourself and a stamp on that once you get there, I don't know what it's like for other coutries but it wasn't paperwork heavy in the slightest if that's what's putting you off having a legal ceremony abroad image

• gill1980gill1980 Posts: 44

I think its fair enough.

Our guests are paying for themselves; nobody asked or expected us to pay for them. We made it clear that if people weren't able to come then we wouldn't be in any way offended so that nobody felt pressured to come if they couldn't afford it.