Getting married in the Dominican Republic Feb 2014

Hi Everyone, I'm getting married in the Dominican Republic in feb and wondered if any of you lovely people had and tips or ideas that would help me.  Struggling to find any invitations or favors i like that i could take with me.  Thanks

• HanbirdHanbird Posts: 40

could you do bottles of sand from the beach in Dominican? make the bottle up with lables etc before you go, stuff in suitcase and then just fill them when you get there?

There are some really moce passport type invites for weddings abroad, the board card is the rsvp card.

Hope that is a lil helpful

• PopsyxxPopsyxx Posts: 1,009

Hi, where abouts r u getting married? We have been to costa dorada before and had a lovely time. If we weren't getting married in Cuba it would have been Dom rep! 

My friend made us some invites boarding pass and luggage tag style. I can send you picture if you like. For favours we are going to buy charity pins as they are light weight and small for suitcases. For table decorations i have been looking at scatter crystals so I ordered some but they were tiny so need to find some bigger ones! Also in the range they had tiny cream buckets with heart holes in them and were tea light holders for £1 each. We will be having a BBQ on the beach so can't use real tea light and the electronic ones don't seem to be bright enough. But also thinking about battery operated fairy lights to go along the tables xxx

• Weaver81Weaver81 Posts: 63

Thanks for the ideas Hanbird. I like the sand bottle idea. xx

We are getting married in Puerto Plata.  Can't wait image, We was thinking of Cuba as well, but a friend renewed her vows at Dom Rep and said it was fantastic so thats why we ended up booking there.  When do you get married? I had been looking at the boarding pass style invites for the reception when we get back to keep with the getting married abroad theme.  I also was thiking of some scattered crystals on the tables.

xx

it is such a lovely place image 

we arent until may 2015...so we are planning rather far in advance lol! just keep buying little bits each month to put away then decided near the time what we actually want to use! i also bought petals, but for our party when we return image

the small scatter crystals are cheap on ebay but the larger ones seem to be a little bit pricey! what colour theme are you going for? xxx

• *nikki**nikki* Posts: 193

My fave holiday ever, make sure you visit Ocean World to swim with the dolphins!

(not strictly wedding planning help, but fun!)

We have decided on hot pink. Got 3 bridesmaids going with us. Most things for reception are sorted now. But thats because we can't sort most things over in dom rep until we get there which is a little nerve racking.  

Defo going to ocean world it looks amazing going to go after the wedding so we've got summat to look forward to. 

Xxx

oh wow! we are hot pink too!! well hot pink and turquoise!! have you sorted ur BM dresses yet? 

nerve racking but exciting too!! image

i too recomend ocean world!! we done the swimming with dolphins and it was amazing image xxx

Fantastic image  we originally picked turquoise lol. 

Yeah got them sorted, ended up getting them from quiz alot cheaper than bridal shops and they we're just what I was looking for, something cool with a bit of sparkle on. 

All the men have their suits sorted. Fingers crossed my dress arrives in the the next month or so. Eeeeek image have you started thinking about what kind of dress you might want? 

Xx

Xx

oo do love a bit of sparkle! I bought one fro eBay to check out what it was like and it was brilliant so will be ordering all of those in about a years time! Just seems so log away for us! image how long have you been planning? 

What are the men wearing? So many questions sorry!! 

my OH originally 'twas going to wear white linen trousers and shirt to fit in with the beach theme and so he was Cool! But then he was worried he wouldn't feel weddingy enough so is thinking about light grey trousers shirt and waist coat!

i would like a light chiffon dress that just flows prefably with straps cos I have quite broad shoulders and I normally look better with straps lol! But haven't started looking yet- got some weight to loose! Have you got your dress yet xx

We have been planning since may last year. It comes round so quick trust me. 

Men are wearing grey suits, short sleeved shirt, silver waist coat and pink cravat.  Not taking jackets abroad just using them for  reception photos when we come back. Got suits from greenwoods in sale, same with shirts. Waist coats are from matalan and got cravats of ebay.

I ended up picking a dress completely diff from what I thought I would have. But its true what they say you know as soon as you put it on its "the one" image it should be arriving soon. 

I know what u mean with weight got to lose a bit before I start the fittings.  

One thing to remember to ask when dress shopping, ask if they will help packaging it up for when you go, cos some shops wont. and make sure you leave enough time from when you come back to having your reception to get your dress cleaned. 

Xx

I hope it does come round quickly! it's so weird as we have already booked out party when we return but can't book anything for Cuba until next year! 

The men's outfits sounds lovely. 

How many people do u have going with you? 

i will prob end up getting something I would never dream of lol! Oh yes I will! I am worried about packing it coming back home though! God knows how you would fit it in the tiny box lol xx

Yeah our party was first thing to get booked as well.  There is 13 of us all together going, all going for the 2 weeks except 2 of them.

I found it really frustrating waiting for brochure to come out to book for Dom Rep, then all the decisions on location lol.  Who you booking with? We booked with Thomson they've been brill (so far) and you get little free gifts for so many guests traveling with you.  So far we have got a bottle of champagne and box of chocolates for the outward flight and a travel box for my wedding dress so i can have it as hand luggage.

Just going to have to watch real closely to how they package it up lol. xxx

what kind of party r u having when you get home? We are havin it at a local hotel and having a sit down meal then disco in evening, so will have to do table decorations all over again lol! 

Aw that's a nice amount of people- will be very intimate. not sure for definate how many we will have but we think Atleast 20 but could have upto 40!xx

We will be booking with Thomas cook as Thomson and first choice have dropped Cuba!xx

We are having our party at a glof club near where we live.  We was going to do a wedding blessing and wedding breakfast when we returned for the guests that couldn't come with us but decided against it in the end, as it was just going to get expensive.

It will good if that many did come with you, but don't rely on them.  We had loads of people telling us they where coming for defo but then when it came down to booking, only imediate family took the plunge.  It was a little disappointing as we picked a cheaper location to accomodate everyone who said they we're coming.  Where as now we could have picked our first choice (which was a little more expensive for guests).  But hey ho still looking forward to it, and to be honest the less people you have to entertain and worry about the better in my opinion lol.

xx

lovely! we were going to go for a golf club but they were way too expensive for us! the cheapest we found was £8000 just to hire the room and we wanted to provide food so would work out more then our actual wedding! we too were going to do a blessing for the people that couldnt come but again it came down to costs and i didnt want my party to be bigger or more then our actual wedding! we are hoping to do it all including the party back home on about £8000

we havent told many people about our party back home as we dont want them to think oh well whats the point in cuba lol! but its mainly for our grandparents and older aunts and uncles who are unable to fly. 

no we arent relying on them all coming!  and have to agree about less people to entertain the better! what kind of reception are you having after your actual wedding? is that all included in your package? 

i'm on the laptop now so going to try and post some pictures of the bits i was talking about at the top of this convo!! 

may do the little heart sweets at our reception back home as they work out like 10p each!! xx

Cheers for that rubycupcakes, i'll pop over and have a look.  I've got some hand held fans in our colour scheme to go on the chairs for during the cermony.  Loving the planning, even though it does get a little stressful at times, but a good stress if that makes sense lol. When do you get married? xx

Them boarding passes look good your friend is very creative.  Also liking the little bucket tea lights.  The cermony over there is the bit that isn't organised as we can't do it till we are there.  I am in contact with the wedding planner but flowers, cake, resurant for meal, photos etc are all sorted once you land. So not sure.  We wanted to get married at 4 so we didn't have too much time to fill before our sit down meal.  But we got 2 o'clock instead so gunna have to sort something, our friend told us you can hire a cocktail bar for an hour so thinking maybe that for inbetween cermony and meal.  After meal got nothing planned as yet, the hotel has entertainment so going to see what that is first.  Is Cuba booked?

xx

They look even better in real life! We can't book anything until next year when the brochures come out for summer 2015! image but we know what we want! we would like to get married at 2 so we can then hire the old fashioned taxis to take us into the local town for some photographs after having them done in the hotel grounds! Then we want a BBQ on the beach but we can take a iPod to play music and there is a bar/waiters etc so will just stay on there for the evening. 

I want to have the 3 amigos playing at some point too lol xxx 

Its so frustrating waiting for the brochures to come out. It sounds perfect.  We can take an ipod with our wedding music on as well. How do you pick your date? we had to give 3 dates and times, then about 3 months later we got confirmation from the wedding planner over there which date and time we had been given. 

The only thing i'm nervous about is my hair and make up.  My hairdresser over here is going to do my hair n take pictures step by how shes done it for me to take to the hairdresser over there. so hopfully she'll be able to follow it. For my make up i'm going to try to do it myself.  I've started having the odd make up lesson, i've been to MAC so far got an appointment with bobbi brown today while i'm off work. (I'll let you know how i got on )

xx

You tell them what date and time you would like and they come back to you. We are going to book as soon as we can so we hopefully get the date and time we want!

i have heard the hair dresser is really good over there! So I'm happy with that, my only thing is make up! There is no make up artist over there and I'm crap at doing make up! Lol I don't really wear much of it! I think I will have trials in shops to see what I like then get someone coming with us to do it for me! there is a wedding Facebook group for our hotel and people ask what foundation is best and everyone says mac!!xx

• xsam28xxsam28x Posts: 55

Hi Popsy, are you getting married at Playa Pesquero by any chance?.. We have been to that hotel twice and it is absolutly amazing and we where so tempted to book our wedding there for March or May 2015 (still are really) lol but its too much for my brother to take my neice and nephew so we are now booking Turkey we think as we love it there too and found a perfect venue when was there in May. xx

Hi Sam yes it is playa pesquero!!xxx

Have you been there before?.. its am amazing hotel and you will have the most perfect wedding.  We were witnesses for a couple who we met last time we went and it was a fab wedding.. i gota admit i am a little bit jealous and keep thinking re we doing the right thing by not having cuba when we love it so much xx

No it will be our first time! Can't wait to go though have read lots of good reviews! 

Whwre abouts are you going in turkey?xxx

Morning. 

Yeah I use mac at the moment, but must admit I was more impressed with how the lady from bobbi brown did my make up plus it was free lol. 

Xx

We are going to Icmeler, it is a lovely place and beautiful hotel.  You will not be disapointed with playa pesquero its amazing as i said image xx

oh really @weaver!!  i just dont want to sweat in the heat and my foundation run off! haha

very nice sam! when are you hoping to go? are you able to book yet?

we keep thinking shall we go to pp before the wedding for like a weeks holiday or something to try it out!  but would just rather but the money towards the wedding! xxx

We are getting married in May 2015, cant book the hol until April next year but can book the wedding in September.

Cuba is a long way to go for a week, have you added the facebook group?, there are lots of piccys on there and info xx

Oh that's good u can book the wedding a bit sooner! Is that through a travel agent or indeoendently? 

Yeah it is along way for a week! I think there may be a few that can only come for a week but only bcos of being teachers and children in schools etc! 

i havaddress the group yes!! All three of them that I have found! Lol.

i love looking at all the pictures! makes me soooo excited!xx