Package holiday wedding packages VS DIY - What's cheaper?

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has compared the cost of using a wedding planner in resort and arranging hotels/flights yourself versus the cost of booking a 2 week holiday with a tour company and paying for their wedding package?

So far it seems that Thomsons are CHEAPER than a DIY affair, can this be right?

I am planning a wedding in Lake Garda, Italy in Sep 2008.

If you have any comments or advice about this situation, I would really appreciate your advice!

Thanks,

Clare x

• ceegeeukceegeeuk Posts: 22
    Hi Clare

I am getting marriedin Cyprus in October & have booked with 1st choice - they have been utterly useless. They haven't been the cheapest either. If you read the advice on here before choosing what to do, you're on a winner. The advice & suggestions from other brides2b as well as contacts in your country of choice are invaluable - I wish I had accessed this website earlier before I booked. One thing I have learned from being on here is that tour operators bump their extras prices up so that they get commission; also, they don't give you your wedding time until you get to resort. I ended up phoning our wedding venue this morning to find out what time I was getting married at.

Thats all the advice I can give, I hope it helps.

Claire
  • donna24577donna24577 Posts: 2,907
    Hi Girls

I have done everything on my own, except use my wedding planner to book the wedding. So far i have managed to.

Book Reception in Cyprus

Book hotel direct with them- it was so much cheaper

Hired a beetle convertable for my wedding car,

I will book the flights as soon as i am able to, which should be october this year.

We did look into booking with a tour operator, but as we knew Cyprus fairly well we felt confident enough to do it on our own.

Don't get me wrong its nice to know my wedding planner is their to do bits for me but the extra they charge for photos. hair, flowers etc come out a lot dearer than they do if you book direct.

This site and PP have been fantastic, my venue also has a wedding forum so can get info on there as well.
  • kathysukkathysuk Posts: 518
    I would agree with Donna, I am geting married in Cyprus next year and started off looking for wedding planners to help, before we parted with money we realised I could do this myself, so here we are with a little help from my friends ha, ha! We have saved about 2 grand so far..
  • RosapennyRosapenny Posts: 4,249
    I am getting married in Florida next year and I have done everything myself, it is working out much cheaper and i can have what I want, a bigger cake, nicer flowers etc....
  • IanDBIanDB Posts: 510
    Hi Girls

I would agree what is on the post, usually the Tour operator can give you the initial wedding package cheaper but on the long run the markup is far greater

I would suggest getting your own flights & hotel accommodation & getting a private wedding planner instead as they do far more & keep you informe all the way on every detail, they also give fantastic value for money & go that extra mile, I have just met one in Ayia Napa called Kery from Aisle of Love & she is well worth a phone call

Kev
  • Darrell_SDarrell_S Posts: 53
    Hi all,

Thanks for the advice, it seems like DIY is the way forward!

Clare x
  • buttie16buttie16 Posts: 135
    Quoted:
    Hi Clare

I am getting marriedin Cyprus in October & have booked with 1st choice - they have been utterly useless.

I'm getting married in Cyprus next August and also booked through first choice as it was cheaper and we don't want alot of the stuff like cars etc. They told us it would be 6 weeks until we got a wedding date through, so we phoned them 6 weeks later to be told it would be another 2 weeks.

Then we got a call saying we couldn't get married at the hotel cos it was fully booked. I was gutted and have been depressed all weekend. So this morning, I phoned the town hall and somehow managed to book it for the same day at the same hotel??!!

So, now I'm thinking of cancelling with first choice and doing the rest myself!
  • Squireuk1Squireuk1 Posts: 37
    Hi Girls, I started looking into wedding planners for an overseas wedding, still not sure yet on destination, and places like Thomson and First Choice seem to treat weddings as an add on to their usual 'holidays', I've spoken to a lady from weddings and honeymoons abroad and she is fantastic, they only arrange a couple (max) weddings per day to make sure that you are looked after, I don't think there's much difference in cost either. If you search for it, it should come up fairly easy.

Good luck x
  • RosapennyRosapenny Posts: 4,249
    A lot of the travel agencies do see it as an add on to the holiday that you are paying for, so they dont mind so much if something goes wrong at their end because at the end of the day its you that suffers and ends up paying for it. Why pay all that extra money when you can do it yourself and do it right!!