Alcohol / drinks on the Wedding day in France

Hello,

We are getting married next Summer at a fab venue South West France. There is no corkage fee and we can have any drinks we want and at cost price.

This is great for us as it's a massive saving although I am going a bit crazy thinking of all the drinks we want to provide for our guests. 

Our planner has given me several recommendations for Champagne and local bubbly which is ridiculously cheap at just €7.80 a bottle. My question is, would the guests really know the difference with a real champagne or a local bubbly??

We'd really like to keep the costs down on this one but don't want to be seen as scrimping.

Thoughts please

Marie x

• I would definitely go for the local bubbly!  It's great to use local producers for your wedding.

• Thanks LoveShoes, pleased you've said that as I really want to do it and it will save us a fortune.

• VicNVicN Posts: 1,352

If it's Blanquette de Limoux they're talking about then go for it! It is absolutely delicious - and the Champagne monks learnt all they knew from the monks in Limoux so the locals reckon it's superior anyway  

Def go for the local stuff even if it's not blanquette - they sell it in Tesco at this time of year too if you haven't tried it and want to xx

• As a guest I would defiantly want the local fizz (and any other products).  xx

• Thanks so much everyone, we will go with the local stuff, I've checked and my planner has said it's called a Methode Traditionelle (sounds good) and also our planner is popping a bottle in the post for us to try as well - can't say fairer than that.

• Methode traditionalle means it is made in the same way as Champagne.  It has the secondary fermentation in the bottle which produces finer more persistent bubbles.  

Go for it.  Imagine how pleased your guests will be when they learn it was produced just up the road!

• Marie - I'd agree with everyone else and say go for the local produce. 

I live in a wine region and my neighbour sells champagne... but he says it's for tourist and that they (the french) keep the best stuff for themselves?  He always says this with a twinkle in his eye but he supplies us with inexpensive local wines and it's always very very good!

• MrsTwizbeMrsTwizbe Posts: 3,352 New bride

go local. We served pink 'champagne' straight after our church wedding. It was local to where my parents have a house in France in the Loire Valley (so not technically champers) it was lovely and no one would know. Also it was 2 euros a bottle!!!