Embassy certificate - no legal impediment

How do we go about getting an Embassy certificate stating that there exists No Legal Impediment for us to marry. We are getting married in Goa next March

• jomarch50jomarch50 Posts: 631
    Hi there

I live in Thailand (did the legal ceremony a few weeks back - our proper wedding is in 12 days time) so understand a little bit about this...

Check out the official UK Embassy website for India: http://www.britishhighcommission.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1017170902295

If its anything like Thailand then you'll have to complete a document which you then take into the Embassy to be validated by the British Consular (an offical person who works there). This will state that you are free to marry. In Thailand it takes 24 hours but may be quicker in India.

I hope that this helps

Jo

x

• Hi Pondy6903,

Are you in the UK? Have you been told you can only get this certificate from your embassy? I'm getting married in Greece this September and my fiance got his "Certificate of No Impediment" from our local Register Office in the UK.

He had to ring them up and make an appointment (taking along ID and a proof of address for both himself and me). They advised us not to do so too early, as the document is only valid for three months from the date of issue. I 'm sorry, I can't remember how much it cost. The certificate was ready for collection a fortnight after the appointment. We then had to have it legalised and translated before giving it to the priest in Greece. Because I'm half Greek, I didn't have to provide this certificate, but we did both have to provide a "Letter of Celibacy" (same as letter of no impediment) from our local church as well, stating that we were free top marry.

Good luck!
  • brooke6903brooke6903 Posts: 17
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for that.

Yes we both ive in the UK and have done since birth. From what I can gather each country is dfferent. One of the websites I went on said that we had to put an advert in the local paper before submitting our application to the embassy? Then another webiste never mentioned it! Will take a look at the website you suggested.

Thanks xx