Italian Town Halls



Been trying to organize our wedding in Italy, which seems easy enough without a wedding planner - however the only part I'm struggling with is the actual ceromony booking. 

Everytime I google Town Hall (Gargnano- Lake Garda) all that comes up are italian wedding planners companies.. There doesn't seem to be any government information on what we need or how we go about booking our town hall civil ceromony. 

Any info- greatly received

Clare x


  • Try to google Municipio Gargano and then choose a town

    Municipio Gargano

    Independently from your nationality, in order to get legally married in Italy you should be able to provide the following documents. 
    Please note that the paperwork requirements expire after 3 months if you have not yet married:

    <ol> <li>Passports </li> <li>Certificate of No Impediment </li> <li>Nulla Osta </li> </ol>

    It is fundamental that your full name is written in the same manner in all the above documents (this can happen if you have more surnames and they are not always expressly listed in all documents or if the future bride has already been married before and is still keeping the name of her ex-husband. In this case please be sure that your passport, Certificate of No impediment and Nulla Osta contains your maiden name), otherwise your paperwork won’ t be accepted by the wedding officials.

    With effect from 1st March 2013, the procedures for British nationals, resident in the UK, planning to marry in Italy are as follows :

    You cannot start the documentation process more than 6 months before your wedding date, or 3 months if you are resident in Scotland.

    There are 4 simple steps that each British national, resident in the UK, must follow to get the right paperwork for marrying in Italy.

    Step 1 – Certificate of No Impediment

    You need to obtain what’s called a Certificate of No Impediment, which is issued in the UK.

    To do this you must give notice of marriage to your local registry office. After your notice has been posted for the required period you will be issued with a ‘Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage’, signed and dated by your local Registrar.

    It is essential that the names you give to the Registrar, which will appear on your Certificates of No Impediment, are exactly the same as written in your passports. For example, Jim Harris on the Certificate, and James Harris-Ford on your passport might mean that the Italian authorities will reject your paperwork and refuse to allow the marriage to go ahead. Please take your passport with you to the Registry Office, just to be absolutely certain.

    Step 2 – The Statutory Declaration

    While you are waiting for your Certificate of No Impediment you should make a statutory declaration before a solicitor or public notary in the UK (based on our company’s experience with other clients it would be better to go through a solicitor which are normally cheaper).  We can send the declaration form that will be required to you via email.

    The declaration is required by the Italian authorities and gives additional information that isn’t detailed on your Certificate of No Impediment. The solicitor or public notary will charge a fee for this service. Fees will vary so it might be worth shopping around.


  • Step 3 – Legalising your documents for the Italian authorities


    When you have your Certificate of No Impediment and you have made your Statutory Declaration, you need to send them both to the FCO Legalisation Office in Milton Keynes for each to be legalised with a Hague Apostille. The Legalisation Office will charge for this – please check the current charges and procedure on the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Website.

    Step 4 – Translation of your Certificate of No Impediment (CNI)

    Once both these documents have been legalised, you will then need to have the legalised Certificate of No Impediment translated. As it will become an Italian legal document it should be translated by a translator based in Italy and sworn before the Italian courts or an Italian Justice of the Peace. We can provide you with a list of recommended translators.  A fee will be charged – fees vary depending on the translator. They will also charge a delivery fee to have the translation couriered back to you or to our local office (since we will be in charge to lodge the paperwork on your behalf). The Statutory Declaration does not need to be translated since it is already in both languages.

    Each British national resident in the UK should have:

    <ul> <li>A Certificate of No Impediment – issued in the UK, legalised in the UK and then translated officially in Italy</li> <li>A bilingual Statutory Declaration legalised in the UK</li> <li>Passport</li> </ul>

    Once all of these documents have been prepared, they should be sent directly to us which we will then send to the town hall where you will get married.. There is no longer any requirement for wedding documentation for British Nationals resident in the UK to be sent to any British Consular Section in Italy for further processing.

    Please note, under Italian law, a woman who has been divorced or widowed and wishes to re-marry in Italy cannot do so until 300 days have passed from the date of her divorce/death of husband. It is possible, however, to apply for a dispensation to this through the Civil Law Courts (Tribunale Civile).

    Finally please note that your Certificate of No Impediment will be valid for six months from the date on your English, Welsh or Northern Irish CNI or three months if presenting a Scottish CNI. 

  • Hope this helps

  • I think maybe a wedding planner could help with this just for the legal piece, which shouldn't cost as much?

  • If you can, I would head down to the commune you want to get married in and speak to someone there in person. I live in Italy, and have found that not much happens unless you stand over people and make them do it! 

    Good Luck! x

  • Fantastic information, thank you all!!!!!! xx

Sign In or Register to comment.