Forum home Weddings abroad

Who is the best tour operator to book a wedding abroad through?? Im Struggling.

Hi Everyone,

Me and my fiancée want to get married in Jamaica and we are really struggling on who to book through. We have heard really bad reviews about Thomsons and Thomas Cook.. I don't really want to go through Kuoni as they have given me bad customer service in the past.

Any suggestions?

xxx

• Hey ... I'm marrying in Cyprus this year we have booked via Thompsons but their wedding planners aren't the best (in my opinion and experience in Cypru). Do you have to go through a tour operator. Could you book the holiday part with them but your wedding part with an independent planner. Or are you looking for everything to be managed in one place. 

X

• Hi Futuremrsb,

I was hoping to have every thing done in one place and I am the worlds worst organiser haha.

My friend used thomsons and said never again as he got married last year and still hasn't received his wedding cert. I love thomsons as I used to work for them but I don't want my wedding being a chore if they mess it up.

Are they at least helpful?

x

• Kay33Kay33 Posts: 6

What about Virgin ?

• Reanna. wrote (see post):

Hi Futuremrsb,

I was hoping to have every thing done in one place and I am the worlds worst organiser haha.

My friend used thomsons and said never again as he got married last year and still hasn't received his wedding cert. I love thomsons as I used to work for them but I don't want my wedding being a chore if they mess it up.

Are they at least helpful?

x

In my mind I'm OCD organiser in real life I'm terrible ☺️  And to be fair its not Thompson per se it's their team. I mean yea they're helpful and polite but in my experience they're just admin who book the supplies you need. There isn't really any investment in my day. I don't feel they're working alongside to help us get the wedding we want. It's simply string quartet yep booked.  decoration yep booked. Does that make sense? I don't think they will mess it up its just not personalised X

• We've gone with an independent wedding planner for the following reasons.

- it is cheaper

- you get more for your money

- it is very personalised and responses are quicker when you get in touch..

- the travel companies tell you you need to be there X amount of days before you can marry - this is true to some degree. We were told 7days when in fact it is 3 days.. just a money making scheme to make you stay out there longer..

- the fees we have paid for were £700 more money via travel agents

Just do your research before booking. We did on this lady we have booked with and she doesnt have one bad review and is well known across the country..

Good luck!

• I would agree with Kitty, it depends what you are looking for of course, but personally I felt that the tour operators just offer a standard package and book elements whereas a wedding planner is personal, will arrange all elements for you, and will ensure things run smoothly on the day! 

A planner can organise your whole wedding normally so ceremony, reception and accom, and you may just need to book the flights - definitely worth looking into! x

• Kay33Kay33 Posts: 6

can I ask what wedding planners you have used

• Kay33 wrote (see post):

can I ask what wedding planners you have used

I'm looking at Italy and have found Lisa @ Hitched in Italy, and [email protected] Lake Como Weddings and Events both to be really helpful! Where are you looking to get married? x

• We have used Virgin, they have been amazing and thrown in so much as its our honeymoon :)

• We're going to Rhodes in Greece and have booked with Bev at Unique Weddings - she has been amazing and thought of details that i didnt even think of

• I work as a photographer/videographer, here in Cyprus and have worked at very many weddings organised through both tour operators and independent planners. Did you know that in most all of the hotels there are wedding managers too?

Sometimes it is quicker and simpler to book your wedding through the hotel or with an independent planner, and your holiday through the tour operator.

Brenda x