Brexit impact on legal ceremonies? (polictics free please)

Hi all

Any political or legal savvy people out there who can advise? If the UK leave the EU, will that impact how legal our ceremonies are abroad? We are getting married in Italy in July 16, a month after the referendum, and whilst I can't imagine anything would change that quickly, I would hate in 5 years for our marriage to suddenly become void?? I'm a bit clueless so any advise would be helpful!

Thanks

• MascaraMascara Posts: 114

Why would it affect your marriage?  You can get married anywhere in the world, not just the EU.

• MrsTwizbeMrsTwizbe Posts: 3,352 New bride

It will have no impact. The UK recognises all marriage contracted abroad where they a) are legal in the country in which they happened and b) do not contravene UK marriage laws.

I hope your concern though will encourage you to go out and vote on the day :-)

• Thanks MrsTwizbe- I genuinely had no idea of what was legal and what wasn't. All I knew was my ceremony was! I was under the impression we could only get married in certain countries, interesting to know it can be anywhere.

• MrsTwizbeMrsTwizbe Posts: 3,352 New bride

As long as the ceremony is legal where you do it, then it is fine.

The main exception to this is where polygamy is legal - in the UK only the first wife will have a legally recognised marriage.

The other exception are where marriages between close relatives are legal.

Not a huge problem in the EU as most differences tend to be in residency requirements and pre marriage legal formalities (e.g. giving notice) 

• WeddayeWeddaye Posts: 3

Hi lovely brides to be!  This is a question that has been making some noise in my thoughts.  I organise weddings in Italy and I have been thinking what may change down the line for destination weddings in the EU.  It's an unknown in so far as whether there will be changes in the legal process and documents, perhaps introduction of visas, of course we are seeing exchange rates fluctuate. As the dust settles on the implications of Brexit and pending negotiations with the EU more info will be forthcoming for now things will stay the same but wedding services are likely to cost a bit more than they would have before the referendum.