Forum home Weddings abroad

wedding dress shopping!!

I'm getting married in September this year in Ravello, Italy. It will be just the two of us. I have started looking at bridal shops on line to try to get an idea of what I like as I really haven't got a clue. There seem to be so many different styles and materials. I live in South London and I have seen one bridal shop on line not too far from where I live that seems to have some nice designs. I suppose I'm just a bit nervous about the prospect of going in there as I'll have either go on my own or with my fiance as no one else knows were getting married! I don't know what to expect from the appointment at all. Could you please give me some advice?!

Thanks

• Jenni8Jenni8 Posts: 3,201

Lots of advice on here:

http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/wedding-fashion/1st-time-dress-shopping/425000.html

I went to most of my dress shopping appointments alone as when I did bring other people, my mum, bridesmaids etc, I found that their opinions confounded on my opinions so I found it much easier alone. 

• Sarah398Sarah398 Posts: 266

Dont worry, it is daunting at first, but dont worry!

I found it to be alot better going into these dress shops on my own, too many cooks & all that.

If you like the styles in the dress shop make an appointment, try some on, you will soon whittle it down to what you really like &/or what suits you best.

I looked on line first & saw what designers I liked, then went to the shops that stocked that designer, this is another approach x

• MrsCallowMrsCallow Posts: 348

I went with a friend to my 1st dress shop, it was fun but when i got home i felt SO overwhelmed and started to hate finding my dress.

I then went and booked to go to one on my own and it was a brilliant experience. I sat down with the shop assistant and she went through 2 books asking which ones i liked and also suggesting some that she thought i would look nice in. I then tried on around 9 dresses. A few months later i then took my MIL with me and ended up choosing one. It´s not for everyone, but I genuinely loved going on my own. Just enjoy it, your perfect dress is out there :)

• Wild4Wild4 Posts: 8

I only took my mum I didn't want there to be too many opinions. 

Don't be afraid to try things that your not sure of on the hanger. Dresses can look really different once you put them on. 

And make sure you're honest you're allowed to say you don't like it and the fitters in the the shop are prepared for this - you're the bridge after all. 

I tried on a dress and as soon as I myself in the mirror I said no way and headed straight back to the changing room. 

It should be an enjoyable experience and don't feel pressured to commit until you've taken it all in. 

Have fun! :-) 

• nicole18nicole18 Posts: 163 New bride

Checking online doesnt help a lot.You have to try on different styles of bridal dresses and pick the style that looks good on you.Then you could check online for more dresses of same style.

Xxx

• Kelly173Kelly173 Posts: 11

I get married in 5 weeks time; we are having a 'surprise' wedding so I went dress shopping alone. Despite the nerves, it was absolutely fine.

Book appointments with a few shops (I went to 3) and go with your instincts.  It's great to have an idea of what you do/don't like but be prepared to end up loving something you hadn't even considered!  

• Sarah680Sarah680 Posts: 9

How did you get on? I also live in South London and don't even know where to start!! reading this thread though, I think I may go on my own and only take someone once I have whitteled them down. I find it so daunting and what do you buy when you're getting married somewhere hot?? Let me know if you did recommend any shops. Hope you found the perfect thing x

• OKCharlieOKCharlie Posts: 145 New bride

In south London I'd recommend Love Bridal in crystal palace and Ingrida bridal in Pimlico :)