Wedding in Protaras, Cyprus! Help!

I am heading to Cyprus in 2 days on the hunt for a wedding venue for our wedding next year. We're not sold on any of the hotels and really want a beach wedding but everything is surrounded by grass which I've come to learn, I don't like! 

I'm feeling quite stressed as I am not half as far with my planning that I thought I would be at this stage and I want to try and make the trip as productive as possible. I was wondering if anyone could recommend any of the following suppliers:

- Beach wedding venues

- Reception venues near by that we can have till approx 2am

- Florist

- Photographer

- Videographer

- Bakery for the cake

- DJ

- Wedding dress shop

- Anything else I might have forgotten!

Really appreciate any advice!

Thank you,

Sarah

• Sarah671Sarah671 Posts: 457

I am getting married on aiya thekla beach which is in the middle of protaras and aiya Napa. Booked it through Ionian weddings and got a really good deal :) the package is called paradise sands. I haven't been yet, wedding isn't until 2018 so we are planning to go there on holiday next year to have a look but might be worth you having a look at? x

• SammykateSammykate Posts: 4,014 New bride

My granny used to live in Protaras and after spending a lot of my teenage summers there I know it fairly well!

It's not right in Protaras, but if I was to get married out there it would be at the Grecian Park hotel overlooking Konnos Bay http://www.grecianpark.com/luxury-wedding-venues.html

From what you've said I'm not sure it fits the bill of what you're looking for but check it out anyway. The beach is stunning.

The Tsokkos chain of hotels are also very reliable and not too pricey- I've stayed a few times at their various properties around Protaras. Stayed at the Anastasia Beach with H2B and he still talks about the food 5 years later!

Are you actually planning on buying your wedding dress over there? What about fittings etc? Maybe better off to buy it from a shop nearer to home!

Just an FYI about getting married on the beach- I'm not sure I'd go for getting married on Fig tree bay. Saw one lady getting married there (in a massive satin dress in 35 degree heat, why??) And her wedding had a backdrop of topless sunbathers and kids running in and out of the wedding party. So look for a quieter or private beach if that's your plan.

• Sarah680Sarah680 Posts: 9

Hi Sarah671!

Thanks for the response. I am actually going to go and look at that beach with a company! If you want (I know it’s random) but send me your email address or number and I can send you some pictures?! It looks beautiful there and was initially our first choice but as we’re not getting married till about 5pm and we were going to have the Reception on the beach too, I am just a little worried that they wanted the music off at 11pm as it is really quiet round there. You’re so organised, I am kind of wishing I had more time to plan! Xx

Hi Sammykate!

Thanks so much for the advice! Grecian Park does look lovely but it is on grass. I think the whole reason why I wanted a beach wedding is cause my dad passed away and we put his ashes in the ocean, so I wanted to feel closer to him (this was in Portugal but it’s too painful for me to go back there). Aside from that, I guess being on grass reminds me too much of being at home and walking the dogs in the park.

To be honest, I have no idea about wedding dresses yet. I haven’t even started to think about it. It was just a thought that they might make lighter dresses then what we’re used to. I do think you’re right and I need to do this at home though instead.

Omgsh really valid point about Fig Tree Bay. I have literally briefed all my friends that if there are sunbathers they need to politely ask them to move haha. It’s going to be an emotional time for me anyway and it’s pretty recent that both my parents have passed, so I definitely don’t want sunbathers gawping at me and definitely not in the background of the pics! We are due to look at Capo Bay Hotel but I think that is right there! Arrrgh feeling way too disorganised. xx

• SammykateSammykate Posts: 4,014 New bride

I know what you mean about grass- it's certainly more 'abroad-y' doing it on the beach!

Yep Capo bay hotel is right on Fig Tree Bay. I'm not going to lie, it's a very busy beach and you probably will have sunbathers around you if you got married on the beach there (unless you are getting married in Winter or very early/late in the day?). Lovely hotel though. Have you looked at the Nissi Beach in Aiya Napa? Not a private beach and still grass, but closer to the sea: http://nissi-beach.com/weddings/

Have a look at the Mori Lee Voyage collection, they do beautiul destination wedding dresses :)

Sarah680 Thankyou so much that would be amazing! Il send my email address now, pretty sure our wedding planner said that music would need to be turned off by 11 though at the venue we have, we have children coming so didn't seem like a huge deal and have just told everyone they are welcome to carry on celebrating in one of the towns if they want but like you, if the little ones wernt there, I would of liked the night to go on a little longer. Thanks again for offering to send me some pics :) x

• Sarah680 wrote (see post):

I am heading to Cyprus in 2 days on the hunt for a wedding venue for our wedding next year. We're not sold on any of the hotels and really want a beach wedding but everything is surrounded by grass which I've come to learn, I don't like! 

I'm feeling quite stressed as I am not half as far with my planning that I thought I would be at this stage and I want to try and make the trip as productive as possible. I was wondering if anyone could recommend any of the following suppliers:

- Beach wedding venues

- Reception venues near by that we can have till approx 2am

- Florist

- Photographer

- Videographer

- Bakery for the cake

- DJ

- Wedding dress shop

- Anything else I might have forgotten!

Really appreciate any advice!

Thank you,

Sarah

• It will be an absolute pleasure to photograph your big day. I am based in London but I travel all around Europe to cover weddings and events. Please get in touch: http://www.das-photography.co.uk/

Das

• Sarah671 wrote (see post):

I am getting married on aiya thekla beach which is in the middle of protaras and aiya Napa. Booked it through Ionian weddings and got a really good deal :) the package is called paradise sands. I haven't been yet, wedding isn't until 2018 so we are planning to go there on holiday next year to have a look but might be worth you having a look at? x

Sarah, have you booked a photographer ? If not please consider me:

http://www.das-photography.co.uk/

Das

Das, a good friend of ours is actually a wedding photographer and is doing our pictures as a wedding present. Thanks though! x