Forum home Weddings abroad

Is it cruel to release doves?

I'm getting married in Italy and it's traditional there to release a pair of doves immediately after the ceremony as a sign of love and partnership - but I've read somewhere that this is actually cruel. Is this true? Does anyone know more about it? I'm not too fussed about having doves - it would be a nice touch - but I definitely won't if it's not animal-friendly.

Thanks

• MrsRafMrsRaf Posts: 1,802
    Hi pink-peony. Obviously every company is different and you should check them out thoroughly before paying anything - but in general a dove release isn't cruel.

The doves are trained to always return to their homes and are very good at finding their way back quickly (usually only about 30mins). If they were being treated badly then it is unlikely that they would return

some questions you might like to ask each company are:

1. How many birds do you keep?

2. How long have you kept birds?

3. What is the maximum radius they will travel from their home?

4. How do you transport them to us on the day?

5. Do you accompany them personally?

6. Do we get to release them from the basket or by hand?

you might not feel it necessary to ask them loads of questions but you must feel comfortable and confident that they know what they are doing

hope that helps
  • Hi pink_peony, I got married in Corfu on 31/07/07, and we had a dove release. They are trained and fly back to their homes.
  • Quoted:
    Hi pink-peony. Obviously every company is different and you should check them out thoroughly before paying anything - but in general a dove release isn't cruel.

The doves are trained to always return to their homes and are very good at finding their way back quickly (usually only about 30mins). If they were being treated badly then it is unlikely that they would return

some questions you might like to ask each company are:

1. How many birds do you keep?

2. How long have you kept birds?

3. What is the maximum radius they will travel from their home?

4. How do you transport them to us on the day?

5. Do you accompany them personally?

6. Do we get to release them from the basket or by hand?

you might not feel it necessary to ask them loads of questions but you must feel comfortable and confident that they know what they are doing

hope that helps

Thanks, that's really useful advice! I'll take those questions with me next time.:\)
  • S12S12 Posts: 1

We just rescued a dove that most likely was from a wedding release. It was in our parking lot and would've died either from the incoming storms or the wild cats on our lot.  They don't all make it home. I think it is a cruel thing to do.