Forum home Weddings abroad

Villa antiche mura

hello fellow brides

I am getting married in Sorrento in July 2017, with my reception in the beautuful villa antiche Mura (I have a sorrento planning thread with all the detais )

Ive got to the part in the planning stage where I need to decide on meal options. We are having the sit down gala dinner but just can not decide on which to choose for each course. It all sounds so good! Any reccemondations on what to go for? I want to select items everyone will like. 

Feel free to use this forum to discuss Villa antiche Mura. I visiting the venue in April and can honestly say it's stinning, even nicer in real life. 

Xx

• Sara50Sara50 Posts: 196

We had our reception at Villa Antiche Mura in August, the food was fantastic everyone commented on how nice it was and it was the best lasagne they had ever had!  

We offered our guests a choice between the salami and cheese or bruschetta and then lasagne or the pesto lingune and for the main the chicken or pork. The portions were really generous, there was so much food! 

We had one gluten free and one vegetarian who had separate menus to choose from.

• Sara50 thank you for getting back to me. I have just returned from an italian restaurant feeling absolutely stuffed yet my mo is watering reading your reply. 

It all sounds great - you are the second bride to mention the lasagne. How was the chicken and pork? 

Xx

• just To let you brides 2 be know there is now a Facebook group for Sorrento and amilfi brides. Here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1337249092956482/

if if it doesn't allow me to post on her just pop me a mail xxx

We both had the chicken so I didn't actually try the pork but those who did have it said it was nice. The chicken was lovely but I was so full by that point I couldn't eat more than half of it! 

• Sara50 - thanks for your recommendations. I don't think I'll manage to eat much on the day. Did you and your other half taste the food prior to your wedding day? 

Also, can I ask if you took any of the extras at VAM and whether you found it worth it? 

ThaBos x

• thanks *** 🙈

We had the ice cream cart in the evening which went down really well with our guests, it is quite expensive but I love ice cream so thought it was worth it. We were between the ice cream and pizza and glad we chose the ice cream as everyone loved it. I wouldn't say there is need for anything extra in the evening though as there was so much food during the aperitif and dinner I don't think anyone would go hungry if there was nothing else on offer! I think that was the only extra we had. 

Also, one thing I would say is that we didn't pay extra for the canopy of fairy lights over the dinner and dancing area but they were on anyway so if you are not too bothered about this you could take a risk and save some money! But obviously there is no guarantee that they will be on so if you really do want it then it is probably worth paying for it as it was really pretty. 

• Fairy lights were something I really want as I think it changes the full look of there area, personally I think they should come included in the rental fee. They are now 600 euro and with the exchange rate being so bad at the moment coming in at £540 - a really big expense. 

With the exchange rate being so bad our budget is spiralling out of control and really getting to me :(

Did you pay for the tree decorations/lights? 

Yes, we did pay for those at 110/120 euro I think but I don't think there is any way that they would be taken down if you didn't. Have you visited the venue? They definitely look permanent to me and would be more hassle to take them down!

It could be worth asking Michele if he would include the fairy lights or reduce the price, especially if you are having both the canopy and the tree decorations. 

The exchange rate really hit us too and as we had budgeted for everything when the rate fell just a couple of months before the wedding it unexpectedly added about an extra £1500 to the total cost as everything had to paid in cash when we arrived and we were paying for our accommodation when we stayed too! 

We spent way more that I thought I would be prepared to spend on a wedding!!! I would say it will be worth it though! Our day was perfect and the venue is amazing! 

• LaurenrxLaurenrx Posts: 6

Hi Ladies, 

I have also booked Antiche Mura for my wedding day. We are having a 5.30 ceremony at he Cloisters first of all. I have a few concerns that this is a little late in the day and whether just to have a symbolic ceremony at Antiche Mura  - what time have yous decided on having your ceremony? 

Also ive found Michele extremely helpful and efficient and I am wondering whether to incur the extra cost of a wedding planner when he seems capable to arrange things for me. Did yous go with a planner? X

• Hello everyone, what a great thread this is! We've booked in our wedding for 3 July 2018 - ceremony at Museo Correale and reception at Villa Antiche Mura. I'm Irish living in Sydney and marrying an Aussie! 

I have a few questions I'm hoping you great people can help with:

- is anyone looking at getting a spray tan done in Sorrento before the wedding? If yes, where? 

- we have booked our ceremony for 3.30pm and our planner thinks this may be too early due to heat but our photographer thinks it is a bit too late given it gets dark quite early. Any thoughts?

- Thanks for saying the food is good. That's my biggest fear! Also did you choose one of their DJs and were they good? Which one? 

- has anyone booked a private villa for family etc within walking distance to town? If yes, through who and was it worth it?

This is such a good thread, thanks for sharing everything! 

• CamberCamber Posts: 1

Hi there, 

I am looking at a July 2019 wedding in Sorrento and the Villa Antiche Mura looks amazing! Has anyone got any advice about booking it, deposit, unexpected costs or any other advice! We are planning on going to Sorrento in a few months to view some venues and book. 

Thanks! 

• Kathryn2018 wrote (see post):

Hello everyone, what a great thread this is! We've booked in our wedding for 3 July 2018 - ceremony at Museo Correale and reception at Villa Antiche Mura. I'm Irish living in Sydney and marrying an Aussie! 

I have a few questions I'm hoping you great people can help with:

- is anyone looking at getting a spray tan done in Sorrento before the wedding? If yes, where? 

- we have booked our ceremony for 3.30pm and our planner thinks this may be too early due to heat but our photographer thinks it is a bit too late given it gets dark quite early. Any thoughts?

- Thanks for saying the food is good. That's my biggest fear! Also did you choose one of their DJs and were they good? Which one? 

- has anyone booked a private villa for family etc within walking distance to town? If yes, through who and was it worth it?

This is such a good thread, thanks for sharing everything! 

Do you mind me asking how your going about sorting a wedding license from over in OZ? We are moving to oz in a few months and were told we would not be able to sort a wedding license in oz and that we would have to come back to the UK to sort licence 6months before the wedding as the Italian authorities won't except legal paperwork older past 6 months to the wedding date?

Thank you!! : )

• Camber wrote (see post):

Hi there, 

I am looking at a July 2019 wedding in Sorrento and the Villa Antiche Mura looks amazing! Has anyone got any advice about booking it, deposit, unexpected costs or any other advice! We are planning on going to Sorrento in a few months to view some venues and book. 

Thanks! 

I went out in June the villa is beautiful,  photos don't do it justice!! rental at 2018 prices are between €2800 - €3500 depends on what day I think.

• Hey Guys, 

So glad i found this Thread. We've just put a deposit down to have our wedding at Villa Antiche Mura this September 2018 :). We've heard nothing but rave reviews both it & going out to see the venue end of Jan to suss everything out. Few questions :) 

I can see a few people have mentioned about the fairy lights - this is something i want lots of at the wedding, it's always what I pictured for the evening; hundreds of fairy lights. I know they offer the tree lights etc which we're getting, i was wondering if anyone knows about having the drapes/fairy lights  behind where the top table usually sits in photos - in the outside eating area? I've seen it on a few photos and wanted to check prices etc. 

Also - I was after Chiavari Chair style gold chairs, does anyone know if this is something the villa can provide, or something we'll have to hire ourselves extra? 

Lastly - does anyone recommend any Makeup / hair stylists in the area to check out? 

Thanks in advance! :) xx

• Romina3Romina3 Posts: 1

Can you tell me what time you had your ceremony at? The wedding planners are telling me it has to be 5 or later in july because of the heat but i want it to be more like 2 the venue have said I can have it at 3