Civil or Symbolic ceremony - do you care? Italy

So My fiancé and I are planning a small intimate wedding 20-30 people on the Amalfli coast Ravello where there are rules and restrictions around a civil ceremony.

A lot of the places I love can't perform civil ceremony on site and I think the only place is a church ceremony beforehand. (I love caruso and cimbrone)

My fiancé and I really want an outdoor ceremony as it is very us and don't want it in a church.

I first thought ok this is fine I will have a symbolic ceremony and then make it legal once we are back home (or before we go) plus it is a lot of organisation beforehand 

BUT then I just saw someone walk down the isle on TV teary eyed and nervous and I thought to myself I want that, it is such a special moment - I want the emotions of omg this man is going to be my husband, and Im worried that it won't feel the same walking down the isle....I don't want to miss out on that amazing moment

What is everyones thoughts? Does it matter to you if its symbolic or civil? If you have had a symbolic ceremony did you feel nervous and excited on the day? Did it affect your ceremony knowing it wasn't yet legal?

If you had a civil ceremony in Ravello or Amalfi where did you have it? Anyone know of nice places for civil ceremony?

• It matters to me, and I get your point completely. We are getting married in Tuscany and we are lucky that our venue - San Galgano - does civil ceremonies as is stunning so it will be the whole walking down the aisle. 

We initially considered wedding and reception all in one place and was going to pop down to the town hall for a quick I do, either before or after the ceremony.

I didn't want to do the legal bit before or after as I didn't want two wedding days. We are having our marriage blessed though when we get back but this is just going to be followed by a pub lunch.

• We're having a civil ceremony in Sorrento 😊 I can see why people would have a symbolic ceremony, I found some lovely venues when I was researching but my OH was totally against the idea he said it wasn't fair for our guests to pay all that money to go to a ceremony that isn't an actual wedding 😩

On the plus side, we're just sorting our paperwork out and it's a lot more straightforward than it looks! x 

• Louise256, that is good news! We have our appointment with the registrar on Friday to start the process

• Hello,

Have you considered Villa San Giacomo in Positano? It is stunning and you can have a civil ceremony on site. Plus the Villa would sleep the majority of your guests as well- it is an ideal size for your guest count in terms of the wedding dinner too.

The downside is that it is definitely for a higher budget, but if you are considering Caruso or Cimbrone then it could be a possibility.

Ravello Town Hall Gardens are by far the nicest place to get married civilly if you are choosing from Amalfi or Ravello. Hotel Caruso is literally 30 seconds walk up the street from the Town Hall gardens or Cimbrone is approx. 15 mins walk but is totally worth the walk. The crypt at Villa Cimbrone is worth the investment as well- or the Infinity Pool at Hotel Caruso.

Feel free to drop me an email if you would like more information: [email protected]

Best wishes,

Catherine x

• msbellamsbella Posts: 53
    TheWeddingBoutiqueItaly wrote (see post):

Hello,

Have you considered Villa San Giacomo in Positano? It is stunning and you can have a civil ceremony on site. Plus the Villa would sleep the majority of your guests as well- it is an ideal size for your guest count in terms of the wedding dinner too.

The downside is that it is definitely for a higher budget, but if you are considering Caruso or Cimbrone then it could be a possibility.

Ravello Town Hall Gardens are by far the nicest place to get married civilly if you are choosing from Amalfi or Ravello. Hotel Caruso is literally 30 seconds walk up the street from the Town Hall gardens or Cimbrone is approx. 15 mins walk but is totally worth the walk. The crypt at Villa Cimbrone is worth the investment as well- or the Infinity Pool at Hotel Caruso.

Feel free to drop me an email if you would like more information: [email protected]

Best wishes,

Catherine x

Have sent you an email Catherine :)