sorrento or Postiano

Hi Everyone

I have recently got engaged and we are thinking about getting married in the Cloisters Sorrento or the Town Hall Positano. Just not sure on which. Has anyone got married at either and can answer some questions? It will be a huge help. 

Being new to all this i maybe overthinking a bit haha.

SORRENTO

1. Do you notice the public when you are having the ceremony? 

2. I know they do quite a lot of weddings there and i don't want to run into any other brides/weddings. Did anyone see any other or have this problem?

3. Is it easy to organise transport to the reception venue? Any florist reccomendations?

4. Did anyone use Thomson how were they? Do they help find you a hairdresser etc?

POSITANO

1. Town hall is on the main road by the looks of it into the town. Did you notice any traffic noise?

2. Was it easy to get to and guests to get to from what i have seen no path into it so just curious?

3. For the reception i am looking at somewhere near the sea. For people who can't do the hills is it easy to organise transport to take them fron the town hall to reception venue? Did anyone have this also? 

4. Did anyone have guest staying in sorrento and organise transport for the wedding? Did thy mind? How long did it take?

A general question. There looks to be quite a lot of paperwork. Is it exepnsive to get all of this any ideas on cost would be great and tips.

Thank you in advance

• I'm getting married in Sorrento in June so I can't help with some questions because we haven't had our wedding yet! 

When we were in Sorrento looking at venues we saw three seperate weddings taking place and there were no members of the public standing in the cloisters, a few people looked through the door (including us!) but that was it. This really put me off the cloisters when we first started looking but I fell in love with it when we were actually there and I don't think i'd notice anyone there when we're having our ceremony!

We've booked direct with our reception venue so they're arranging the transport and everything else for us, I feel like our day will be a lot more personal compared to booking through Thomson, we were going to originally but it just felt like a wedding conveyor belt for us! Also the holiday through Thomson was a lot more expensive, our wedding package includes 5 nights accommodation and we're free to book whatever flight we want 😊 

Also we're just doing our paperwork, you have to get a certificate of no impediment from a registery office, ours were £35 each but it varies on where you are in the country, I know some people have only paid £22. Then you have to sign a statutory declaration each at a solicitors or public notary, this was £5 each. Then all four documents have to be sent to the FCO for stamping, we havent done this yet but I've been told they're £30 each. Once all this is done you send it to Italy for translating etc but this is usually included in your wedding package. It sounds complicated but it is really straightforward x 

• Thank you that is great. 

Did you book the cloisters yourself then? Or through someone? 

I do really want to do it myseld if i can rather than thomson just want it to be as easy as possible. 

If you don't mind me asking where are you having your reception?

Have you found it easy to find a florist etc?

Hope you have a fabulous wedding

• Our ceremony is at the cloisters and reception at hotel mediterraneo, the hotel is sorting everything for us for both the ceremony and reception. It was cheaper than going through a wedding planner but we're getting exactly the same service 😊 we saw a lot of venues when we were there and most of them offer a similar service. It's been SO easy so far, they're sorting everything including flowers so I only have to deal with one company rather than a load of suppliers. Also a lot of brides have been saying that suppliers such a florists all want paying in cash, so they're having to take thousands of euros out there with them, wheras we're just paying the hotel by card in installments. I've heard mixed reviews about thomson, but for us we just wanted to keep the holiday part as cheap as possible - they wanted nearly £2000 for our flights and hotel for the week, and now we're paying £200 for our flights and our hotel is included x  

• Thank you for this. That hotel is a option i was thinking as stayed by there when last over and looks great. 

That does sound easy too which is comforting to know. Thank you again

• LiliaLilia Posts: 2
    Louise256 wrote (see post):

Our ceremony is at the cloisters and reception at hotel mediterraneo, the hotel is sorting everything for us for both the ceremony and reception. It was cheaper than going through a wedding planner but we're getting exactly the same service 😊 we saw a lot of venues when we were there and most of them offer a similar service. It's been SO easy so far, they're sorting everything including flowers so I only have to deal with one company rather than a load of suppliers. Also a lot of brides have been saying that suppliers such a florists all want paying in cash, so they're having to take thousands of euros out there with them, wheras we're just paying the hotel by card in installments. I've heard mixed reviews about thomson, but for us we just wanted to keep the holiday part as cheap as possible - they wanted nearly £2000 for our flights and hotel for the week, and now we're paying £200 for our flights and our hotel is included x  

couldnt help myself but to read into this thread as getting married this October and havent found a reception venue! how much did hotel Mediterranean charge for food packages? we're on a budget as we want to go and travel after wards so we've been looking for something nice but affordablE. not 100% keen on Foreigners Club as there might be other wedding party there and I don't really feel comfortable with strangers looking in to my wedding :)

• Hi, 

We have just recently got engaged and haven't yet booked anything. We want a Catholic ceremony in the church in Positano and have fallen in love with the pics of Relais blu for the reception. We were hoping to stay in Sorrento with the guests as it would be the most lively especially as we are going to go for April time (easter holiday) so it may be quieter. 

I'm a bit worried about the travel between sorrento to positano and back again. I've read that a lot of people can get travel sickness? Have any of you been/thought about this? 

Any tips appreciated 😁

• That was one of the things putting me off Positano as most of our guests will be in Sorrento. I know the drive to positano is quite windy etc so can understand if people get travel sick. 

Sorrento is looking like our preferred option 

• Hi everyone

we have decided in Sorrento and September 2018. I really need help now whether to go with the Cloisters or Villa Fondi. Any recommendations or comments would be hugely appreciated. They both look great but different and really not sure.

thank you in advance 

• Louise256 wrote (see post):

I'm getting married in Sorrento in June so I can't help with some questions because we haven't had our wedding yet! 

When we were in Sorrento looking at venues we saw three seperate weddings taking place and there were no members of the public standing in the cloisters, a few people looked through the door (including us!) but that was it. This really put me off the cloisters when we first started looking but I fell in love with it when we were actually there and I don't think i'd notice anyone there when we're having our ceremony!

We've booked direct with our reception venue so they're arranging the transport and everything else for us, I feel like our day will be a lot more personal compared to booking through Thomson, we were going to originally but it just felt like a wedding conveyor belt for us! Also the holiday through Thomson was a lot more expensive, our wedding package includes 5 nights accommodation and we're free to book whatever flight we want 😊 

Also we're just doing our paperwork, you have to get a certificate of no impediment from a registery office, ours were £35 each but it varies on where you are in the country, I know some people have only paid £22. Then you have to sign a statutory declaration each at a solicitors or public notary, this was £5 each. Then all four documents have to be sent to the FCO for stamping, we havent done this yet but I've been told they're £30 each. Once all this is done you send it to Italy for translating etc but this is usually included in your wedding package. It sounds complicated but it is really straightforward x 

• Hi Louise

we are also thinking of booking our wedding at the cloisters but for October 2018. I have enquired with thomsons and they have said that we have to book in April so quite soon. The hotel is looking to be about £750.00 each for 7 nights this is going to be quite expensive as we have 3 children too! The wedding package is £900.

have you booked direct with the hotel, and what about reception etc we will have approx 20 people coming over. Are you having it in the hotel or a restaurant? It just seems so daunting to think of doing it all on your own in a foreign country😅 Any advice or help gratefully received 😬😬☺️☺️☺️☺️X

• Hi Alison

The hotel is planning absolutely everything for us - everything at the cloisters including documentation, and reception back at the hotel. i did about 6 months of research before I booked with them to make sure we were getting the best deal! We originally started our planning with Thomson - the wedding package may be £900 but it will add up to a lot more than that once you've added on all the extras that aren't included, plus then you have to book the holiday with Thomson as well so you're restricted to their flights and hotel prices. They may also try and get you to stay at the destination for a lot longer than you actually need to be there, we were told we had to be there 7 days before the wedding which is not true at all! We were quoted £2k for flights and hotel with them for the week, whereas now we are paying £200 for both the flights and accommodation for 5 nights. I don't have any personal experience with planning a wedding through Thomson but being over a year into our planning, I would recommend booking directly with a venue that can help you with the paperwork, or with a local planner, there's loads to choose from. You will be in contact with them via email and they are there to help so you feel like you're not really planning it on your own :) 

• Sara50Sara50 Posts: 196

Hi girls, I got married in the cloisters in August last year and there were lots of people gathering around outside waiting to see me go in and clapping! I think there were a few people watching the ceremony by the entrance but I didn't notice anyone. It's absolutely beautiful setting for a wedding and we have some amazing photos from there.

I would recommend going with a local wedding planner as heard a lot of bad things about Thomson. We had our reception at villa antiche mura and used the owner as our wedding planner who sorted all the paperwork out. We organised our own transport, photographer, hairdresser and florist. 

• Louise256 

thank you so much for your reply and information.  It definitely sounds like booking direct is the way to go! I really appreciate your help and advice. I have just had a look at your hotel it looks beautiful ☺️ How many people are coming to your wedding? I have approx 20 people so just wanted a nice meal back at the hotel after the wedding really nothing too flash as this is my second wedding 👰👰

• Hi Louise

i have just received an email back from the hotel M and it says their wedding package is €10,000! Is that roughly how much you are paying? 🤔😟😟😟xx

• Hi Sara

if you don't mind me asking what is the average price for a wedding at the Cloisters and a reception? It would just be really helpful to get a rough idea on how much everything costs? Many thanks 

Alison 👩🏻

Alison, the cloisters fee was 600 euro. It increased from about 450 euro after we had booked! I'm not sure about reception costs as to be honest we only looked at 2 venues! I think anywhere between 80-120 euro per head is around the average cost in the majority of places in Sorrento for the aperitif and 4 course meal with wine. 

We were originally looking at castore which is a restaurant in the hills about 20 mins outside sorrento and really reasonably priced but then we saw Villa Antiche Mura and doubled our budget for it! 

The wedding and holiday (7 nights in sorrento and 4 in sardinia) probably cost about £20k. For that we had the ceremony in the cloisters and all the paperwork assistance, translators etc., a completely private reception venue with more food and drink than our 60 guests could manage, all the table decorations, three tier cake, two amazing photographers all day, transport, hairdresser, flowers, mandolin and guitar player for the ceremony and aperitif, dj in the evening and an ice cream cart! 

The euro rate played a huge part in our budget though as it dropped drastically between us booking the wedding and the actual wedding and, other than some small deposits, everything was payable in cash when we arrived so we suddenly had to pay a lot more than we'd originally planned to!

Its way more than I ever thought I would be prepared to spend on a wedding and whilst it probably didn't work out any cheaper than a UK wedding we definitely feel that we got much better value for money than the UK!

And one thing I will say.... it was worth every penny!!! 

• Hi Sara

thank you for your reply, the wedding sounds amazing 😉 it all looks so beautiful I am really excited now! Thank you so much ladies for your help xxxx

• Hi girls

I am also getting married in Sorrento in June @ Cloisters.

It certainly really scary booking aboard but I think it's just one those things you've got to research and then throw yourself into!

Our budget is looking about 16,000 euros at the moment for 60 guests (not including our flights or hotel) but compared to London and the SE that's still half the price, including in that we get everything from a 5 course meal to a live band.

I love to research so feel pretty confident in the choices we have made, I'm now only worrying about hair and makeup! So I'd love to hear other peoples experiences of this.

x

• Hi Everyone

Does anyone have any hair and make up artists they can reccomend for Sorrento. I know the hotel meditteano has one. Has anyone used it? 

Thank you

I can recommend Jimena Puy for hair. I had a lovely up do as did my sister and we were both really happy with it. I emailed her some photos of what I wanted and it was exactly what I asked for. She does make up too but I can't comment on that as I did my own! 

• Hi everyone

so after much research we have booked our wedding for September 2018 ar the cloisters and the reception at hotel Mediteraneo 💕 I know a few people have or are planning on getting married at these locations so any tips or experiences would be great. I already thinking of little things like flavour ideas and little touches to make it special, so if anyone has and ideas would love to hear from you? I was thinking having a little box of flip flops and maybe fans for the ladies for the ceremony xxx

• IngeInge Posts: 4

Hi Alexandra,

Congrats on booking your wedding. We're getting married at Villa Eliana in Sorrento this June! There is a great Facebook group for brides getting married in Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast that you may want to join to discuss ideas and experiences: Sorrento & Amalfi Coast Weddings.

x

• Wow congratulations 😁 Oh yes will look for that. Thank you x