Wedding dress to heavy for hand luggage??

So we're getting married in Florida I'm starting to panic that my dress is going to be too heavy? Do they ever weigh you hand luggage? I'm flying with Thomas Cook x

• Mrsseebe2beMrsseebe2be Posts: 706 New bride

Can you weigh the dress in advance? People fly with wedding dresses all the time so it must not be too big of an issue.

• Carol-4Carol-4 Posts: 3

Thank you for your reply. Yes just weighed it it's 7kg  I've heard Thomas Cook can be very picky with weight. I don't know what to do I even bought the box they recommend me to buy x

• Sara50Sara50 Posts: 196

I took my dress in a box as hand luggage and no one weighed it or asked anything about it. I didn't fly with Thomas Cook though. If they tell you it's too heavy they may try to charge you more or check it in to the hold. 

What hand luggage is your h2b taking? I know they usually say that the weight limit is per bag but you can argue that his is light as a way of keeping it with you on the flight even if they do charge more it's better than it getting taken off you for the hold.

We've been on lots of hand luggage only trips and my hand luggage has never been weighed they are more concerned about the size. Hopefully they will be more lenient as it is a wedding dress!

• Victoria197Victoria197 Posts: 722 New bride

We travel with hand luggage only 4 or 5 times a year and I have never had my luggage weighed. It's about the dimensions and can you carry it and lift it into the overhead locker 

• Mrsseebe2beMrsseebe2be Posts: 706 New bride

Did you book a wedding package through Thomas Cook? If so it looks like they increase the baggage allowance for the bride and groom.

https://www.thomascook.com/baggage/wedding-baggage/

I doubt they'll actually weigh your dress box.

• Sarah398Sarah398 Posts: 266

Check with Thomas Cook, because when I briefly looked at weddings abroad it would seem that you can pay and book your wedding dress as extra hang baggage, they also provide the box for it too.

• Bride2016Bride2016 Posts: 49

check with Thomas cook. When I've flown with them before they have weighed by hand luggage..

• fabiennefabienne Posts: 28

I had it as hand luggage too.They didn't weigh it, as it didn't seem  huge.

My best friends' luggage looked bigger though, so she had it weighed.

• Suze3Suze3 Posts: 51

This is what I've never got about hand luggage,you are given say 6kg, but there's nothing to stop you once you go to the departure lounge to buy up bottles of alcohol perfume, make up and maybe a whole weeks wardrobe and there is no limit to the amount of bags you then take on board lol, so why have a limit to begin with