Help!!! Sorrento or Santorini wedding 2018 ??

Hi  all

I'm looking to hear people's opinions on both sorrento and santorini for a wedding? Ideally would like to hear from those that have visited both and even attended weddings at each.

I'm in a dilemma at the the moment, I just can't decide. My partner and I love to holiday in Italy and love almost everything about Italy!  However I am so taken by the magical view of santorini and it's popular for good reason I'm sure. Completely different feels but both beautiful and romantic!! 

Any advice would be greatly received! : )

• Victoria197Victoria197 Posts: 722 New bride

We are getting married in Italy (but Tuscany) but got engaged in Santorini last year, we have also visited Sorrento.

I am biased towards Italy as we visit frequently and Sorrento is beautiful, Santorini in my opinion is less so it's a small typical Greek island. There are however some lovely parts and the wedding venues that are popular are built to make the most of the views, we went last June and it is very very popular for weddings, my h2b and I felt we were just about the only people on the plane that was not part of a wedding party and there must have been at least 5 brides guarding their dresses with their lives. We also saw a wedding being set up on the Eros beach ready for sunset.

In Sorrento most destination brides head to the Cloisters again this appears to be very very popular. 

• MrsRendall2BMrsRendall2B Posts: 749 New bride

Hi there!

H2B and I were in a very similar boat. We'd originally had our hearts set on Santorini - found a gorgeous venue, arranged a visit out there to see our first choice and a few other venues, got prices... the whole shabang. But when we got there something just didn't feel quite right! I think the island itself is a complete tourist trap - it's beautiful, don't get me wrong, but it felt like everything was working out waaaay more expensive than it really needed to be. It also meant longer flights, more money on flights and more on accommodation as there aren't very many 'budget' options that still reached our high standards. We also had a difficult time dealing with some of the venues - they either wouldn't respond or would take ages to respond by which point, we'd already moved on to somewhere else. 

So we sat down, re-evaluated and decided maybe Santorini wasn't for us. Like you, we both love Italy and it's the first place we went on holiday together so it seemed a natural choice. Haven't been to Sorrento yet but going out in July to check out some venues (although again we've got a definite preference!). I've had great contact from venues/planners out there and everything has gone smoothly so far regarding making visits to the venues. It'll also be easier and cheaper for guests in terms of flights and accommodation which is an added bonus as we were worried that the cost of Santorini meant that some of our guests might not have been able to make it. Also quite liked the fact that the whole ceremony and reception wouldn't be in one place. I know some couples find it much easier to have it all under one roof but it kind of lost some of the excitement for me. 

To cut a long story short, Sorrento seemed like the more natural choice for us. I would suggest that if you already have a connection with Italy, as a couple, it seems like a natural choice for you too. Yes, the views in Santorini are amazing but there are equally beautiful views in Sorrento too!

I can send my list of potential Sorrento venues if that's any good to you? :)

Good luck, I'm sure you'll make the right decision for you and H2B!

• FutureMRS TFutureMRS T Posts: 108

Hey, 

I had researched into both Italy and Santorini and ended up going with Santorini based on our number of guests. Your final number of guest helps you solidify your decision more. At first I was emailing a wedding planner in Italy. We wanted 120 guests. The cloisters does not have enough capacity for this many guests. Other venues in Italy do but it is expensive! We had a qote of £30k for a beautiful castle wedding near Tuscany!Ridiculous! Then I tried Santorini for the same amount of guests and we are saving a fortune! Yes accommodation is expensive in Santorini but if your guests book in advance they can get savings. Plus your guests do not need to spend a week in Santorini.They can spend a couple of days also making it cheaper.

So as you can guess my H2B and I are getting married in Santorini.

Please factor in how many people you want at your wedding as this will help you decide.

Also speak to your close family to ensure they are willing to travel to either destination for your wedding. At the end of the day we want our close family at our wedding. They can all make it. We are not fussed if distant cousins and friends can't make our wedding because of cost. As selfish as it sounds it makes our wedding cheaper for us :)  

• Victoria197Victoria197 Posts: 722 New bride

FutureMRST is right about guests and travelling, we are having a big little wedding - all the bells and whistles but only 11 guests as we realised that getting married abroad will cost our guests between £500 - £1500 (once you have factored in airport parking, hotels, spending money, clothes for both holiday and wedding, sun screen etc etc and then a gift for the bride and groom) and to top it all its not their choice of destination.

We have made our wedding totally all inclusive for all of our guests as we decided to sacrifice numbers to ensure that only our very nearest and dearest could come and have paid for everything.

• kathryn83kathryn83 Posts: 22

Thank you all!!!!

Thank you Victoria197! Oh how amazing you got engaged in santorini, I do think that is the perfect view for a proposal!! We loved Tuscany when we went! I do find that venues in Tuscany seem to be geared towards either a large wedding or your very nearest and dearest ( in my opinion).I find the venues have the wow factor which id love to show off to lots of guests if I were to pay the price ticket!! Or keep it in a villa nice intimate and cosy with your loved ones. I have a mix of both family and friends coming but not a large enough number for a castle say.

Mrsrendall2b thank you for the advice it would be great to chat to you some more about sorrento! I'm heading out in a few weeks also to view potential venues. Like you we do have that connection with a Italy it was also our first holiday together and we are just in love with Rome. However we would want something a bit more relaxed but easily accessible hence why we have picked sorrento as an option. I feel that sorrento is easy enough for guests to reach,can be as cheap as they like as in say for 2 nights then head bk to UK if that's what they like. I don't feel like I would have to enterrain my guests for any number of days other than the wedding day as there is lots there to do. I'm hoping when I get there I get that magical feeling I always get in Italy!!

FutureMrsT thank you hun, yes again that makes sense as the number of people I have will help me to make a decision on where we select! I completely understand what you mean about keeping it to immediate and close friends. I'm really not into inviting people I barley see at the crazy price it costs for a wedding these days. I want my wedging to be easy and relaxed and flow well. We had a party not so long ago, I spent most of the night thanking people who i hadnt seen for months or years for coming and then saying goodbye. Yes it was lovely to see them and I'm greatful they made the effort to come but that is not the vision i have for my wedding day x

• AlessiaAlessia Posts: 6

I'm Italian and I live in London and when we got engaged my fiancé asked me if I wanted to celebrate our wedding in Italy. I said no! We are planning to have ours in Santorini instead. For 2 reasons: 1. I thought it would have been very complicated organising a wedding in Italy from a distance. I have to admit we Italians are not very organised and they would have given me hard time. I saw so many friends getting crazy for their wedding (especially in the south) that I didn't want to experience the same. On top of this you have to consider that English is not spoken everywhere. Unless you want to deal with your wedding planner only it could be hard. 2. Ceremony: for religious and even civil ceremony you need a very good reason to get married outside the church or the townhall, which usually is not in very good condition. Getting married in a garden or outside in general could be hard.

In my opinion it really depends on how much time you want/can dedicate to the organisation. 

I went to Santorini a few weeks ago and I found that 99% speak a good English and the wedding machine works really well

Alessia wrote (see post):

I'm Italian and I live in London and when we got engaged my fiancé asked me if I wanted to celebrate our wedding in Italy. I said no! We are planning to have ours in Santorini instead. For 2 reasons: 1. I thought it would have been very complicated organising a wedding in Italy from a distance. I have to admit we Italians are not very organised and they would have given me hard time. I saw so many friends getting crazy for their wedding (especially in the south) that I didn't want to experience the same. On top of this you have to consider that English is not spoken everywhere. Unless you want to deal with your wedding planner only it could be hard. 2. Ceremony: for religious and even civil ceremony you need a very good reason to get married outside the church or the townhall, which usually is not in very good condition. Getting married in a garden or outside in general could be hard.

In my opinion it really depends on how much time you want/can dedicate to the organisation. 

I went to Santorini a few weeks ago and I found that 99% speak a good English and the wedding machine works really well

Another Santorini bride.... Where in Santorini have you chosen for your wedding? 

• AlessiaAlessia Posts: 6

We have booked Grace Santorini the 9th June 2018 - not very popular. But I really think it suits us. At the end this is the only thing that really matters!

Sorrento, Santorini...these are all beautiful locations. You just need to follow your instinct.

What about you FutureMRS T?

Grace Santorini is beautiful, just googled it. Has breathtaking views. We are getting married August 2018 at santo Winery. Your almost close to your 12 month countdown Alessia :)  

Alessia wrote (see post):

Aww thanks for the advice hun, me and my other half do laugh about how relaxed the Italians are but I think that goes for most of the Mediterranean : ). I think Sorrento is well geared for weddings and I would definitely use a planner for my civil paperwork and arrangements like flowers etc. I know what your saying a out the town halls they do put me off although the Cloisters in Sorrento looks beautiful. I bet your super excited for your wedding nice that you have a different venue  to most as well! Xx

• Sara50Sara50 Posts: 196

I would say Sorrento but I'm biased as we had our ceremony in the cloisters in sorrento last summr and it was so beautiful.  And then we had amazing views in our reception venue right on the cliff front. All our guests were blown away.  

We had some slow responses to emails but it didn't bother me and the paperwork side of things was very simple from our end as the venue sorted everything and just told us what we needed to do. 

We looked at Santorini but decided on Sorrento and it was perfect. 

A holiday in Santorini is definitely in my plans though as it does look beautiful.  

Sara50 wrote (see post):

I would say Sorrento but I'm biased as we had our ceremony in the cloisters in sorrento last summr and it was so beautiful.  And then we had amazing views in our reception venue right on the cliff front. All our guests were blown away.  

We had some slow responses to emails but it didn't bother me and the paperwork side of things was very simple from our end as the venue sorted everything and just told us what we needed to do. 

We looked at Santorini but decided on Sorrento and it was perfect. 

A holiday in Santorini is definitely in my plans though as it does look beautiful.  

Thanks sara I'm heading to Sorrento soon to view the cloisters, is it as beautiful as it looks on screen? My only reservation is that it attracts a lot of attention and you often see random people watching the wedding ceremony. Did this feel like an intrusion on your wedding ceremony? X

• Sara50Sara50 Posts: 196

Yes I did attract a lot of attention!! It's very public so probably not for everyone but it didn't bother me. There were so many people standing outside and wanting to take photos of me before I walked in and they were all clapping me.

It is such a beautiful and unique venue venue I absolutely loved it! 

A few people did come inside and stand around the outside areas but I definitely didn't feel like they were intruding and didn't notice them during the ceremony or anything like that!

Sara50 wrote (see post):

Yes I did attract a lot of attention!! It's very public so probably not for everyone but it didn't bother me. There were so many people standing outside and wanting to take photos of me before I walked in and they were all clapping me.

It is such a beautiful and unique venue venue I absolutely loved it! 

A few people did come inside and stand around the outside areas but I definitely didn't feel like they were intruding and didn't notice them during the ceremony or anything like that!

Thats good to know, I don't so mind them watching its the walking around that I find disrespectful even if it is a public place. 

• Helen201Helen201 Posts: 6

Hi! I'm getting married in Sorrento in 4 WEEKS! Cloisters then reception at a restaurant afterwards. I have never been to Italy! I have attended a wedding in santorini and it was amazing (at the santo winery) 

i just thought Sorrento and the cloisters looked so romantic. I have an Italian wedding planner....

x

Helen201 wrote (see post):

Hi! I'm getting married in Sorrento in 4 WEEKS! Cloisters then reception at a restaurant afterwards. I have never been to Italy! I have attended a wedding in santorini and it was amazing (at the santo winery) 

i just thought Sorrento and the cloisters looked so romantic. I have an Italian wedding planner....

x

Ahhh not long now!! I bet your soooo excited. I'll be in sorrento next week and hoping it gives me the answers I'm looking for!

Do you mind me asking where the reception was in satorini? Also where are you holding your reception in sorrento I'm making a list of ones if like to view next week : ) x

• Hey! congrats on your engagement.

When we first got engaged our hearts were set on Sorrento, we went to visit last October, the Amalfi Coast is absolutely stunning but it just didn't feel right, I thought Sorrento was very spaced out. We looked at Villa Fondi and also Cloisters, my OH was set on Villa Fondi as he thought it was much more private than the Cloisters as he was worried about the public looking in.. I preferred the Cloisters. Cloisters reminds me of a wedding venue, Villa Fondi was also lovely but from the outside of Villa Fondi it was right on a busy road until you get into the garden bit. We also looked at Hotel Mediteraneo for the reception and it was stunning but my favourite was Relius Blu, views that were breathtaking that i've never seen before, the only downfall was that the evening dancing was right next to the pool and it didn't look like there was much space. When we looked at hotels for guests they were quite expensive also.

After we got home from Sorrento we stopped looking until last month when I came across a photo of Le Ciel in Santorini, it reminded me of Relius Blu in Sorrento and I fell in love with it. We later found out that Le Ciel was quite expensive so I looked at alternate options in Santorini that looked like Le Ciel & Relius Blu which I then stumbled across Dana Villas. The price was perfect, it was more flexible and it just felt right so we have booked for Dana, September next year. I am not going to fly out to Santorini before the wedding as I know that I will find something wrong (bridezilla)

Sorrento is a beautiful town, for me personally though it wasn't for me but I can definitely see the attraction of brides getting married there! 

I think what swayed me to Santorini was the price, the views were similar to Sorrento and it's somewhere that was on my bucket list!

• My family are from the amalfi coast and I am getting married in a small village callef Atrani next year. Sorrento is pretty and has some beautiful venues to choose from but it's very touristy and it's a port.

I'd recommend looking at other places on the Amalfi Coast as there's lots to offer plus my cousin is a wedding planner there so she'd be happy to help and give you ideas if that would help?

From 

Daniela Donatantonio 

• adria2adria2 Posts: 3

I was in Santorini two years ago, so much tourists like Capri, and 100 brides a day OMG... Well I don't like Sorrento much but I don't find that people is hard to speak english there, unless you want the mall cashier to talk with you ;-) . They are much more used to have high level tourists sice many year so English is a common language and, if you have time,  you can arrange your wedding by yourself.

natasha104 wrote (see post):

Hey! congrats on your engagement.

When we first got engaged our hearts were set on Sorrento, we went to visit last October, the Amalfi Coast is absolutely stunning but it just didn't feel right, I thought Sorrento was very spaced out. We looked at Villa Fondi and also Cloisters, my OH was set on Villa Fondi as he thought it was much more private than the Cloisters as he was worried about the public looking in.. I preferred the Cloisters. Cloisters reminds me of a wedding venue, Villa Fondi was also lovely but from the outside of Villa Fondi it was right on a busy road until you get into the garden bit. We also looked at Hotel Mediteraneo for the reception and it was stunning but my favourite was Relius Blu, views that were breathtaking that i've never seen before, the only downfall was that the evening dancing was right next to the pool and it didn't look like there was much space. When we looked at hotels for guests they were quite expensive also.

After we got home from Sorrento we stopped looking until last month when I came across a photo of Le Ciel in Santorini, it reminded me of Relius Blu in Sorrento and I fell in love with it. We later found out that Le Ciel was quite expensive so I looked at alternate options in Santorini that looked like Le Ciel & Relius Blu which I then stumbled across Dana Villas. The price was perfect, it was more flexible and it just felt right so we have booked for Dana, September next year. I am not going to fly out to Santorini before the wedding as I know that I will find something wrong (bridezilla)

Sorrento is a beautiful town, for me personally though it wasn't for me but I can definitely see the attraction of brides getting married there! 

I think what swayed me to Santorini was the price, the views were similar to Sorrento and it's somewhere that was on my bucket list!

Thank you for the advice hun, Dana villas looks beautiful I'm sure you'll have the most amazing day! Imy off to Sorrento in a few days and will wait to see if I get that "feeling". I will take a look at the cloisters and villa fondi as well as the museum  for the ceremony.

I didn't actually find satorini any cheaper when I priced it all up although I suppose it depends on how many guests you have? Where will you hold your reception? 

X

Daniela Donatantonio wrote (see post):

My family are from the amalfi coast and I am getting married in a small village callef Atrani next year. Sorrento is pretty and has some beautiful venues to choose from but it's very touristy and it's a port.

I'd recommend looking at other places on the Amalfi Coast as there's lots to offer plus my cousin is a wedding planner there so she'd be happy to help and give you ideas if that would help?

From 

Daniela Donatantonio 

Thanks lovely I've PM'd you x

• Ladies,

Wow, I mixed bag of excellent points and it is nice to see you are all doing your research.  As a wedding planner whom promotes Santorini and expanding to Italy the feedback in this thread is extremely useful.

I can, at present, only give you advice on Santorini, I may be doing myself out of future business but I believe in being honest and transparent as a planner so here are some of the pros and cons -

Pros - World Class Caldera and views, Steeped in history, amazing wedding venues, No crime, easy to navigate around the Island, some cheap locations for food, drink and weddings, some hidden treasures (venues) people do not consider (see Perissa), great selection of food venues and fantastic vineyard. Everything is fairly local.

Cons - Stays over 10 days would be boring for children over 12 (very little for them to do in my opinion). Music restrictions for wedding venues on the Caldera, Overpriced - I simply can't ignore what people of said, Santorini is overpriced in certain areas but a good wedding panner would do everything they could to reduce the costs (hair & makeup - ALWAYS use a salon the morning of your wedding). Some venues force you to have a drinks package, they call this 'mandatory' and some venues charge a huge hire fee - up to €3000 before you start.

Informing you of the cons is not something people want to hear, but when you first meet the love of your life or create a profile on POF/Tinder we never advertise our bad points - these are the added extras our prospective future partner will be introduced to slowly and we hope will accept.

A good wedding planner will ALWAYS guide you in the right direction, and if the planner does not have the right destination / venue for you then they should say so.

Good luck to all of you and my best wishes.

Darryl

http://simplymediterraneanweddings.co.uk

•  Hi congratulations for your upcoming wedding,

I am George Stavropoulos,

I am working at Santorini, and all over Greek Islands as a wedding dj, lighting Company. 

Santorini is always a great place to get married have a look at the link below"

https://marriageday.gr/wedding-ceremony-santorini-island/

If you have not booked a wedding dj, lighting, sound and effect company we are at your disposal

If you have the time to take a look to our job there is a link below.

http://marriageday.gr

If you need more details about venue etc, i will be more than happy to help anyway i can!

at : [email protected]

If you wish to find a planer i can suggest wedding in Greece (John Pasaris owner) is the man for everything you need!

https://weddingingreece.com/