Santorini wedding planning 2019

Hi there, 

We are beginning to plan our wedding abroad and we have decided on Santorini in Greece, for ideally May or even the beginning of June 2019. Lots of things to consider and I would really appreciate peoples help and advice on everything 😀 Firstly the weather...hoping it's a comfortable tempand the rain stays away? Is it very windy? Do you think the flights etc will be cheaper in May as off peak season? We have fallen for Santorini Gem it looks incredible with amazing views and I have read so many positive reviews😊 but I am unsure whether to book directly through them and their wedding planners or go with an independant wedding planner Nikos at Santorini weddings? I just want things to be as smooth and easy running as possible and obviously keeping our budget as low as we can. We approximate around 50 guests but this may change due to destination away from Uk. Thank you in advance for any advice. Laura x 

• Chelsey5Chelsey5 Posts: 40

Omg! We are getting married at the same venue!! So exciting!  We booked Alexandra from Gold-Weddings to plan our wedding and help us with suppliers.

• Hi yes very exciting. Congratulations. It looks amazing and i cant imagine marrying anywhere else now. When have you booked for and how long will you spend in Santorini? Are you having ceremony and reception at the Gem? Do you mind advising me on how much your planner is charging and what it includes? I have so many questions lol😁

• Hi! I am also getting married in Santorini in August 2019. We looked at so many options and I think we are settled on Pyrgos for the ceremony and reception. Santorini Gem looks beautiful!

I think it is quite windy but that's expected, you should be fine with the weather it's usually very hot and low rainfall. I went in last year and it was lovely!

We were going to have a wedding planner but didn't want a package, and to custom plan it with a planner was going to be over 3000 for their services. So now I am doing it all myself. The most complicated part so far is booking the registrar John. He is not very responsive but he must be a busy man as it is high season! I would recommend booking direct if you want to save some money and want control of what's going on, or if you want to relax and you're willing to pay let someone else do it for you.

Have you got any tips on flowers and cake places at all? I'm not too sure on who to go with. I've been in touch with quite a few photographers and can send you some stuff if you like? We have decided on Ben Wyatt photography.

Let me know if you need anything as I am going through it all as we speak! :)

Christina 

Oh it seems very stressful! I booked through a planner it puts me at ease.It is the best day of my life, I am not willing to spend it through stressful procedures.Will just have a massage ,hair and make up and go to the venue to party with my friends.

• Hi Laura and ladies,

i am working at Santorini, and all over Greek Islands as a wedding dj, lighting Company. 

If you have not booked a wedding dj, lighting, sound and effect company we are at your disposal

If you have the time to take a look to our job there is a link below.

http://marriageday.gr

If you need more details about venue etc, i will be more than happy to help anyway i can!

at : [email protected]

If you wish to find a planer i can suggest wedding in Greece (John Pasaris owner) is the man for everything you need!

https://weddingingreece.com/

• We are getting married at santorini Gem as well, we nearly choose another venue but they were having legal issues so didn’t want to risk it. 

Our planer is poema wedding planner 

We also choose to do a couple of things our self like find a photographer who is Aaron Delaney www.greeceweddingphotographer.gr 

and a cake but we haven’t fully decided on this yet. 

anymore getting married at Santorini Gem? The place is stunning, we visited this year to check it out. So looking forward to it!! Eeek 

• Hi Laura,

You're wedding sounds nearly identical to mine :). We're planning 50-60 maximum guests, at the Santorini Gem for ceremony and reception, for a mid-May 2019 wedding. 

The Gem does offer wedding packages with various prices that cover different services depending on how hands on or off you want to be. I'm working with Alexandra, from the Gem and she has been very helpful so far.  I'd love to stay and touch to see how you get on with other planning items such as flowers, photographer, cake, and musicians.  Shoot me a message if you'd like to chat.

Happy planning!

• Hi, 

I am a 2019 Santorini Bride!! I think I have finally chosen my venue and reception afree weeks of research. I didn’t realise it would be so stressful and I haven’t thought about any of the other details yet!! Just wanted to plan a date and venue so we can give our guests time to save for flights and accommodation! 

How long has as everyone gave themselves to plan, I have 18 months, which seems ages but I guess time is going to fly by!! 

Laura 

• Hi Christina89 

I am also considering planning the wedding myself as a santorini Gem 2019 bride! 

How is have you find it so far? the only thing I worry about is having it coordinated on the day? Who will ensure it’s set up and sorted on the day for you? 

Any advice and and tips I would be so grateful :) xx 

• Ambam19Ambam19 Posts: 566 New bride

Hi ladies :)

i'm getting married at le ciel June 2019 and can't wait!

i've chose simply mediterranean weddings as my planners. daz is very friendly and really helpful to all, even if you don't book with him. 

on the day co-ordination - you could pay someone to do just this. i think that gem may have their own in-house planners but not 100%. 

if you've not already then join the santorini brides page on fb x

• Hi Ladies,

I am in the process of planning my wedding for May/June2019, I have look at Le Ciel and have fallen In love but am not sure weather to book direct or go through a wedding planner.

I have spoken to a couple wedding planners who seem helpful, but their cost are so high that it takes a big chunk out of our budget, so a bit unsure of what to do as on the flip side at least they deal with all the planner.

Any advise would be great.

Thanks 

• Hi all, 

we are heading out to santorini in May to check out the island! We have booked a meeting with the wedding planner at santorini gem to discuss the weddings packages/ the venue and see what they have to offer for 2019!

I am looking for any advise anyone can give me with regards to wedding packages on offer, wedding planners or companies that can be reccomended? Or even any hotels that can plan weddings? I am really Interested in the gem but I don’t want to put all our eggs in one basket... has anyone got any other venues they can recommend? 

Also if anyone knows any Restaurana that will accommodate a reception of 20-30 people instead of having a reception at the venue? Hopefully this will help on our budget! 

Thanks guys, happy planning xxx

• nicole18nicole18 Posts: 160

You should hire a wedding planner you have so many things to deal with on the day that seems impossible to do it by yourself

• Mila21Mila21 Posts: 2

Hiya 

I’m getting married in 2020 in Santorini and only just starting to plan our special day, we are travelling to Santorini next year to see all venues and places before we get married. Can you please recommend any planners, companies over there or here in UK?

Mila

• Chloe171Chloe171 Posts: 2

Hi, I have seen some other women are getting married at the santorini gem. I am planning my wedding for July 2019 at the santorini gem and struggling to find a reasonable hair and make-up artist, has anyone got any recommendations.

• Lynnette-Lynnette- Posts: 1

Hi everyone,

I'm an award winning wedding hair stylist based in the Uk in Essex.

image I am going to be living and working on the island of Crete for 2019 and 2020 for April, May June and July. I am currently taking wedding hair bookings. You would be able to have your trial in the UK first which I think would work well. I'll be a ferry ride from Santorini. All my info is on www.lynnettechasmer.co.uk please do get in touch if you have any questions as I know how much there is to think about when getting married abroad, its' great fun though!

• emilia9emilia9 Posts: 2

Started planning our Santorini wedding only a couple weeks ago and I'm so excited!!We decided on the venue we are getting married at and on which wedding planner we are going to use.There are so many things I need to organise but I got plenty of time as the wedding is  taking place next September

• kelly297kelly297 Posts: 2

We got married 2 weeks ago in Santorini so if you need help feel free to ask xX

• Hi Kelly

Any cost saving tips? I am in love with Santorini and will only be able to get married there if I can find a way to keep the costs down.

Any help would be appreciated!

Firstly guests need to pay their own accommodation.Also you can't pay for all the activities they are going to have during their stay on the island.Open bar is not mandatory in most venues,so you could save money there.x

• Matt20Matt20 Posts: 31 New bride

Hi, I am a destination photographer and photographed a Wedding at Gem. They booked direct and the day was perfect. All the staff are very well organised, and speak brilliant English. The venue offers amazing views, but I would recommend a trip to Pyrgos to give your photos variety.

Cheers

Matt 

• Laura908Laura908 Posts: 1

Hello Laura 

I will also be getting married in Santorini in June 2019 at Le Ciel. I came back from Santorini last week From doing some brief wedding planning, the weather was lovely 26-28degrees, If anyone is looking for a hairdresser and a flower option I managed to have a hair trial with a lovely lady called Marianna and I was very pleased with her work safe to say I booked her for my wedding day. Whilst I was there I also managed to  meet with another lady Eleni who Specializes in ‘paper flowers’ I think this is their first year in Santorini as they are usually based on cyprus, I wanted to see them why I was there to considered them for venue decoration, I managed to see two weddings one at Le Ciel and one at Santo winery with her flowers all set up i was not disappointed with the quality and look of the flowers which looked amazing considering they was not real and I’m not 100% sure but have been told these are a fraction of the price, and seem to be popular as she is uploaded pictures daily from weddings in Santorini. 

Hope this helps 

Laura 

• jade184jade184 Posts: 1

Hi All,

We are also getting married in Santorini Sept 2019 at Dana Villas!  Finding it all quite daunting at the moment all the planning that needs to be done. We went over last year to view Dana and La Ceil and they were both beautiful!

• Abi60Abi60 Posts: 5

Hi ladies

We’re also getting married at Dana Villas in September 2019. Have used Nikos for legal planning but arranging hair/makeup/flowers etc myself. If anyone has any suggestions or advice on who to go to/avoid I’d be grateful!

x

• Anna236Anna236 Posts: 2

Hi has anyone used santoriniperfectwedding.com before? i cant seem to find a review about them?

• BenildaBenilda Posts: 1

I got married in at Dana Villas in Santorini last month. It was an intimate wedding, 25 guests, so the venue was perfect. I picked my original wedding planner, Alexandra from Gold-Weddings Santorini, based on the reviews on this forum. To my disappointment, I had to make a last minute switch because I found Alexandra to be very disorganized. I had a bad feeling the moment Alexandra sent me an email with a list of her preferred/tested vendors. I had to google all the vendors because she didn’t provide any links or descriptions. I felt like I was doing a lot of work just having to research all the vendors. I also found that I was able to get better prices by going straight to the vendors. I’m not Greek so I needed help with all the required documents to make our civil wedding legal and she couldn’t help me with translation. Her follow-thru skills needed work. She would ask me if I needed anything instead of looking at all the outstanding items from our last phone call. She is not cheap either. I lost my deposit (500+ euros) but it was one of the best decisions I have ever made. 

Panos and the LovWed team came highly recommended by Amalia of Poema Weddings. LovWed is Poema’s sister company. Like Amalia, Panos is very sweet and professional. From the moment he sent me his first email, I knew he was the right planner for me. He presented all his information in a professional way. He sent me a “wedding book” that took into account all the items I have to consider while planning a wedding. He sent brochures, pictures, description and prices. He even had a file that kept track of all my wedding expenses for budgeting purposes. He is very well connected and well liked by the vendors. I was able to get better prices from him. And best of all, his English is impeccable. Sometimes I found it hard to communicate with the local vendors because of their accent so it was nice to have Panos talk to them on my behalf. He was calm, collected and on top of everything, throughout the process and all throughout our wedding day. He even helped us with all the legal requirements including translation services. We treated our guests to a sunset cruise the day before the wedding, and at the last minute, we decided to surprise them with fireworks. Panos contacted the owner of the cruise company to coordinate everything and sent us a video of the fireworks display afterwards, without me even asking. He is very tech-savvy and detail-oriented. He far exceeded all my expectations. I believe he is Santorini’s best kept secret. My husband and I are both thrilled we found him! Because of his help and expertise, I had the most amazing wedding! My guests told me it was the best wedding they have ever attended. His price is very reasonable. It was money well spent. I highly recommend Panos and the LovWed team if you’re looking for a wedding planner. Hiring him will be one of the best decisions of your life!

• susan158susan158 Posts: 3

Oh sorry to hear about that.. we had Gold Weddings as planners too, but our experience was totally different! Alexandra was perfect ,making our dreams for our wedding day come true.The suppliers she recommended, provided excellent services.She even surprised us with 4 fountain fireworks during first dance! 

• Hey fellow brides!!

we‘ve started planning our Santorini wedding for 2019!! Looking at Dana Villas for the ceremony & reception if they allow outside catering? Does anyone know if this is possible as I saw it mentioned on another thread?

Also does anyone have any tips/contacts for keeping costs down? I did consider having some of the wedding bits delivered to the hotel a few days before, just little bits like confetti, small decorations etc.

thank you! 

Aneesa 

•   Have booked to have our wedding venue in le ciel beginning of June 2020 small wedding about 30 people. booked directly with le ciel and going to visit there next year but have no idea about booking flowers, photographer, cake and hair and make up any advice would be much appreciated :)