Forum home Weddings abroad

Wedding planner or DIY?

Hello all

We plan to get married in 2019 in Croatia, still at the early stages, not picked anything just started looking. My question is, should we get a wedding planner or do it ourselves? I feel like there is plenty of help and information online and I will have the time to dedicate to researching and booking.... but then I wonder if it will actually just be more stressful and should I just get a wedding planner? I'm sure there will be some things I will struggle with booking such as local florists and hair....

What do wedding planners typically cover in their costs  ( i know this will be dependant on the company but I am interested to know what the standard is).

Any help, advice or suggestions would be great!

Thank you

• MrsS85MrsS85 Posts: 688 New bride

I think with an abroad wedding a planner would really come in to their own when helping with any language barriers and the legalities, sometimes there are just cultural differences in communication expectations that can cause stress, but really there is nothing to worry about its just how things are done in that culture.

Obviously  they would also help with hair and florists and all things like that too, planners sometimes get better service as they are bigger clients as they represent a number of couples not just a one off wedding.

• Ashley72Ashley72 Posts: 1,136 New bride

We are getting married in Italy and knew pretty much right away we'd be using a wedding planner.

Even with a fair amount of spare time, I felt that a wedding planner (the right one) would be useful not only when it comes to the language barrier and dealing with vendors but probably save us money too as they will have established supplier relationships and be better versed in bargaining and knowing what is value for money and what isn't. We also knew we'd at least want someone to handle the legal side of things as a legally binding wedding is important to us (I think it's less of an issue if you're doing the legal stuff here). I also want to enjoy wedding planning and I think the hours spent on google translate and trying to research vendors off the internet would drain my energy and be stressful, so I'm hoping that I spend most of my time on the fun stuff and our lovely planner can take some of the burden off of liaising with people. Our planner will also be translating our ceremony in with our fee which is handy as we'd have been paying at least a few hundred euros for an official translator too. We feel like they'll work to help save us money in some areas so will hopefully kind of pay for themselves and save us a lot of hard work in the process!

• Kim155Kim155 Posts: 4 New bride

Hi, you can definately do it either way, but one thing to keep in mind is that if you are planning to legally wed in Croatia (or x) you will definately find it useful to have a planner deal with the paperwork.  

Some planners will charge a % of the total cost of your wedding and others charge a flat fee which is usually determined by the number of guests you have at your wedding. It also depends on if the planner provides a bespoke service or a packages with add-ons. 

If you would like to find out more about planners in Croatia and how they work come and discover all that the country can offer and meet the team from Dreamtime Events Croatia at their premiere cocktail reception in London on Thursday 15th February 2018.

As a bonus for attending on the night you will be in the running to WIN  a 3 night TRIP to Croatia plus many other incredible prices.

To find out more and REGISTER TO ATTEND THE EVENT, see the following page https://www.weddingsabroadguide.com/win-a-trip-to-croatia.html