Forum home Weddings abroad

Mauritius wedding

Hi everyone, 

Me and my partner are looking at booking a wedding abroad in 2020 and we were recently recommended Mauritius. Has anyone booked a wedding there and have any advice? We've looked at the beachcomber hotels which look lovely but the price does concern me. I'm worried that it's unreasonable of us to ask people to pay to go somewhere so expensive. Both our families are ok with it but I'm not so sure our friends will be.

Any advice or tips would be great! Also if anyone has any recommendations on who to book with that would be helpful.

• I am also getting married abroad although not quite as exotic as Mauritius. That would have been my absolute dream. One thing we have learned is that not everyone you want to be will always be to make. You have to decide what is more important.

We had people saying they would come and then they couldn't afford it. At the end of the day it depends what you want. Most of our family and closest friends will be there and that is enough for us xx

• Thanks Stacey, I think if we don't do it where we want too I'll look back end regret it. Having our family there is most important to me, id be disappointed if our friends couldn't come but I don't think it would make me want to change our day. Where are you getting married? 

• Hi,

We're getting married in Mauritius in October. We chose Tamassa as it's the 4th highest rated hotel in the whole of Mauritius on Trip Advisor, number 1 in Bel Ombré, and it's part of the Lux group. 

We didn't know how many people would be able to make it but we've got 34 coming out with us! Only a couple of people couldn't make it. 

I say go for it if it's what you want to do, just be prepared in case some people can't make the trip or don't understand why you decided to do it that way. 

• OctoberBride2017 wrote (see post):

Hi,

We're getting married in Mauritius in October. We chose Tamassa as it's the 4th highest rated hotel in the whole of Mauritius on Trip Advisor, number 1 in Bel Ombré, and it's part of the Lux group. 

We didn't know how many people would be able to make it but we've got 34 coming out with us! Only a couple of people couldn't make it. 

I say go for it if it's what you want to do, just be prepared in case some people can't make the trip or don't understand why you decided to do it that way. 

Thats a really good turn out! The hotel looks fantastic as well. How easy have you found the planning?

• Super easy - our wedding planner is the most laid back woman in the world! 

If you'd like to know exactly what is going to happen and have everything set in stone before you go then it's probably not for you. We're really laid back about the whole thing so are going to choose everything when we arrive. We've given her the heads up on numbers and the general idea (garden rather than beach etc) but everything is being decided when we get there. 

I mentioned it on here and I think I gave a few destination brides palpitations with how relaxed it all is! The wedding is in 3 and half weeks and we still don't know what food we're having, the flowers or anything like that but to me it doesn't matter too much. Whether I have pink roses or a tropical bouquet I'm sure it'll be amazing and I'll become a Mrs which is the most important thing! 

Im happy to let you know how it all goes when I get back - hopefully I won't be eating my words! X

Super easy - our wedding planner is the most laid back woman in the world! 

If you'd like to know exactly what is going to happen and have everything set in stone before you go then it's probably not for you. We're really laid back about the whole thing so are going to choose everything when we arrive. We've given her the heads up on numbers and the general idea (garden rather than beach etc) but everything is being decided when we get there. 

I mentioned it on here and I think I gave a few destination brides palpitations with how relaxed it all is! The wedding is in 3 and half weeks and we still don't know what food we're having, the flowers or anything like that but to me it doesn't matter too much. Whether I have pink roses or a tropical bouquet I'm sure it'll be amazing and I'll become a Mrs which is the most important thing! 

Im happy to let you know how it all goes when I get back - hopefully I won't be eating my words! X

That really appeals to me, one thing that really put me off getting married in England was the endless planning you need to do. I love the idea of handing the majority of it off to the wedding planner. Yeah that is what it's all about after all! Yeah please do, I'd love to hear all about it! 

I hope you have a fabulous day and thanks for your help 🙂 X

• Jemma60 wrote (see post):

Thanks Stacey, I think if we don't do it where we want too I'll look back end regret it. Having our family there is most important to me, id be disappointed if our friends couldn't come but I don't think it would make me want to change our day. Where are you getting married? 

I am getting married in kos. We found a great venue and they do all the planning so it's so laid back.

We originally looked at the carribean but wasn't sure my nana would be to travel that far. This way, we still get to do it away but not too far xx

• Stacey2018 wrote (see post):
    Jemma60 wrote (see post):

Thanks Stacey, I think if we don't do it where we want too I'll look back end regret it. Having our family there is most important to me, id be disappointed if our friends couldn't come but I don't think it would make me want to change our day. Where are you getting married? 

I am getting married in kos. We found a great venue and they do all the planning so it's so laid back.

We originally looked at the carribean but wasn't sure my nana would be to travel that far. This way, we still get to do it away but not too far xx

Sounds lovely! A few of the travel companies advised against the Caribbean because they do several weddings in one day so you've probably made a the right choice! I hope you have a great day! Xx

• Went there for a wedding and was truly disappointed because it wasn't exactly how i pictured. Sea and beach was nice but really not a fan of the food. If you could afford a 5 star hotel wedding, i say go for it. 

• linda105 wrote (see post):

Went there for a wedding and was truly disappointed because it wasn't exactly how i pictured. Sea and beach was nice but really not a fan of the food. If you could afford a 5 star hotel wedding, i say go for it. 

Went where for a wedding? Tamassa, Mauritius, The Caribbean, or Kos? 

• Hi All - my partner are looking to getting married in Mauritius end of next year. It will just be the 2 of us going out; having a slight worry this may not be possible in only 12 months as I see some people tend to plan a few years in advance...is that more common if your having guests?x

• Hi I'm hoping to get married in Mauritius in Oct 2019! :) I think my two favourite's so far are Lux Le Morne and Heritage Le Telfair. Karen222 as long as it's not booked up I'm sure you'll be fine, wedding planning abroad is very laid back, a lot of things like flowers, food etc. you don't even have to decide on till you arrive. We've decided on a date two years from now because in 2018 I will have only just graduated and will be doing my training year in pharmacy, and my fiance will still be at university in his final year of medicine. Plus it gives our guests plenty of time to save up

Hi,

goodkuck and please let us know how it goes. Tamassa is a hotel we are looking at along with Zilwa. pictures Look incredible!!

did you book the wedding direct with the hotel or through the travel agent?