Forum home Weddings abroad

Abroad wedding after party back home - is it too long from wedding?

Hi guys!

ill be getting married in May 26th in Italy. We are having an after party to celebrate for those who can’t make it when we return.

I am Considering having it on the 1st August. For various reasons we have lots going on before this date that makes not many other times viable.

My question is will that be too far away from the actual wedding? Is it like old news by the time the after party comes around and then seem a little pointless?

please give me thoughts and opinions!

Thanks

• MrsJ2017MrsJ2017 Posts: 3,017

Well it is a big gap, but if you’re planning on wearing your dress again it means you have time to have it cleaned before the party.

And I found getting married to be exhausting, it’s been 3 weeks now and all I’ve wanted to do is slob about in PJs and sleep, so a break between the events might be nice.

your wedsing is pretty much the end of may, and the party right at the beginning of August so it’s not as long a gap as it first seems. I think I would go for a shorter one ideally but if it’s a busy time you don’t want to be going and over commuting yourself.

• Mrs_BadgerMrs_Badger Posts: 1,441 New bride

I think it will be fine, gives you chance to settle. It will come round quick anyway and everyone that gets an invite will be excited. X

• MrsStateMrsState Posts: 178 New bride

I think that’s fine! Some friends this year had a 2 month gap and because of this they managed to get their images and film trailer back in time for them to ‘screen’ them at the party which was lovely. She didn’t share any images of her dress from the abroad wedding either so she still had the WOW entrance at the home party.

• Thanks guys. I have the option to have it on the 11th July which is the only date before this we can do it - however the entertainment I wanted for the evening is not available for this date and I really wanted them!

so my option are to find alternative entertainment or not have any or have it 1st Aug 

• I also was not planning on wearing my dress again. My h2b thinks it is then a slap in the face to those that made the effort to come!

• SadieeeSadieee Posts: 1,781 New bride
    Jodie1974 wrote (see post):

I also was not planning on wearing my dress again. My h2b thinks it is then a slap in the face to those that made the effort to come!

I have been to a 3 or 4 parties for marriages that happened abroad, every single time the wedding dress has been worn! Slap in the face? Hardly! People understand that overseas's weddings mean smaller guest list and there are people who you would have bee invited but simply couldn't come, they still want to see the dress! :)

• MrsStateMrsState Posts: 178 New bride

I completely agree with Sadieee. If you want to wear your dress again go for it....there are not many times to wear a wedding dress again (in public anyway!) and this is the perfect excuse.

• SadieeeSadieee Posts: 1,781 New bride

Most brides would love a reason to wear their dress again (other than wearing it in the house when no one is home ;D)

• MrsMcSMrsMcS Posts: 235

I think those dates are fine, and also that no-one would be offended by you wearing your dress again! I like MrsState's idea of showing your wedding photos at the party, you could have a slideshow on a projector.