Where can I get legally married on a beach?

So I've been doing some research, lots of conflicting info out there and have reached the overwhelmed point. All we want is to legally get married on a beach... nothing fancy, very relaxed & preferably in some sunshine.

We're exploring the idea of doing the legal bit here first, but not sure if it'll feel weird with having to say some vows, like we're already married...?

i had read that in most European countries it isn't legal to get married on a beach??

I'm getting really disheartened. Has anyone been through this or got any advice?

• SadieeeSadieee Posts: 1,781 New bride

Someone on here got married in Croatia (where they have beautiful beach options) and it is legal there, but you're right, in a lot of countries the wedding isn't legal with many couples doing the legal bit before or after the trip.

• CFWCFW Posts: 234

Anywhere in Scotland?! :)

• Cazz13Cazz13 Posts: 66 New bride

There may be a few other places outside of Europe like in the US/Hawaii or Caribbean or maybe Bali? 

• TadpoleTadpole Posts: 2,134

Definitely Scotland, a religious or humanist celebrant can marry you anywhere that is considered "safe"

xx

• Sadieee wrote (see post):

This was the report - http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/your-wedding-reports/the-pearl-of-the-adriatic---wedding-report/440745.html

Thanks Sadieee! Oddly I'd come across this thread before and Croatia is definitely on the possibility list; just unfortunately no sandy beaches 

Didn't realise you could legally be married on the beach though - that's good news! 

• Caroline165 wrote (see post):

There may be a few other places outside of Europe like in the US/Hawaii or Caribbean or maybe Bali? 

Oh I'd love all 3 of those!! In fact, Bali or Caribbean is kinda the dream - just really concerned that our friends and family wouldn't be able to afford to be there with us. Was hoping there would be somewhere closer, like sonewhere in Europe where they could choose to either stay the week or hop over for a weekend to help keep the costs down.

• Tadpole wrote (see post):

Definitely Scotland, a religious or humanist celebrant can marry you anywhere that is considered "safe"

xx

Thanks CFW & Tadpole  I'll look into this!! Might it not be a bit chilly even in summer? Sorry if that sounds daft...

• MrsMcSMrsMcS Posts: 235
    BohemianBride wrote (see post):

Thanks CFW & Tadpole  I'll look into this!! Might it not be a bit chilly even in summer? Sorry if that sounds daft...

It could be chilly, or pouring, or glorious sunshine - no guarantees in Scotland! Fingers firmly crossed for my outdoor Glasgow ceremony... (we do have an indoor option too though!)

• LisaDToBeLisaDToBe Posts: 104 New bride

I know for a fact that Bournemouth beach is the only beach in England where you can legally get married. Friends of ours did it there and had a brilliant day.

• TadpoleTadpole Posts: 2,134

Welllll..... I'd be lying if I said it would be guaranteed heat so you'd definitely not have that as a plus point! But it would likely be beautiful - and have a pub close by!

xx

There are definitly sandy beaches there :D

Have a look here for some inspiration!

https://www.roughguides.com/article/the-10-best-beaches-in-croatia/

I think you've just made my day... I'd been convinced there were none! And perhaps even my fiancé' s day too as I mentioned Croatia again (we got engaged following a holiday in Dubrovnik) and his face lit up.Haha! 

Maybe there's hope yet!

• LisaDToBe wrote (see post):

I know for a fact that Bournemouth beach is the only beach in England where you can legally get married. Friends of ours did it there and had a brilliant day.

You know I'd already looked at their brochure, and thought it looked lovely, I really lived their picnic basket/fish & chips just thought the beach must get really busy on sunny days?

Where you there all day? What did you like best about it? 

• Tadpole wrote (see post):

Welllll..... I'd be lying if I said it would be guaranteed heat so you'd definitely not have that as a plus point! But it would likely be beautiful - and have a pub close by!

xx

Hahaha a pub close by is always a massive plus point in my world!! It does look stunning, I've always loved Scotland but I'm such a wuss when it comes to cold or rain - was hoping for somewhere I wouldn't have to worry too much about layers or shoes. I'm really clumsy so pretty sure the whole beach thing came from me not wanting to wear shoes - as I've even been known to trip myself up flats Haha! 

• MrsMcS wrote (see post):

It could be chilly, or pouring, or glorious sunshine - no guarantees in Scotland! Fingers firmly crossed for my outdoor Glasgow ceremony... (we do have an indoor option too though!)

Oh wow!! When's the big day? Whether it rains or pours, you're going to have a fantastic time (I'll keep my fingers crossed anyway!).

• MrsMcSMrsMcS Posts: 235
    MrsMcS wrote (see post):

Oh wow!! When's the big day? Whether it rains or pours, you're going to have a fantastic time (I'll keep my fingers crossed anyway!).

12th of May this year - I just keep reminding myself that we have been to 2 May weddings before and both were sunny!

• SadieeeSadieee Posts: 1,781 New bride

The waters in Croatia ares stunning as well, so blue and clear!

The waters in Croatia ares stunning as well, so blue and clear!

Aren't they just! We went swimming off Lokrum & further up the coast near Ston and were blown away by how clear, turquoise & green the water was. 

We actually had the most amazing meal (fish straight out of the ocean) at a tiny family run restaurant near the peninsula and it had kind of been the dream to get married and have the reception there, but not sure it will be possible.

We're going to start looking at the islands near to Dubronik - especially Lopud to see if it's more possible.

• Dave26Dave26 Posts: 1

Hi hun if you dont wanna travel that far and planning on staying in Europe then the Algarve in Portugal is the place to go, the Algarve has won the international award as best European destination this year with over 300 sunny days a year and golden beaches and only 2,5hours flight away from most Northern European Countries. Here you can legally get married on the beach and the portuguese authorities through their local registry office will issue a legal international marriage certificate that allows you to change your name back in the UK and officially be a married couple recognised by the UK law as well. Let me know if you would like any extra info, best of luck with the planning wherever you choose to marry ;) Dave xx

• Mexico you can get married on the beaches there. I am getting married in June on the beach in our resort.

We were given many options where to do the ceremony but the beach stood out as it is different.

I was reading through and saw Croatia mensioned a few times, we were actually looking at going for a mini break. And after reading I think I am defenatly going to do more research into it. Thanks! 

• Dave26 wrote (see post):

Hi hun if you dont wanna travel that far and planning on staying in Europe then the Algarve in Portugal is the place to go, the Algarve has won the international award as best European destination this year with over 300 sunny days a year and golden beaches and only 2,5hours flight away from most Northern European Countries. Here you can legally get married on the beach and the portuguese authorities through their local registry office will issue a legal international marriage certificate that allows you to change your name back in the UK and officially be a married couple recognised by the UK law as well. Let me know if you would like any extra info, best of luck with the planning wherever you choose to marry ;) Dave xx

Hi Dave, Thanks for this - I've been to Portugal before but hadn't even considered this - silly me!  Wow!  That's great that you can legally get married on a beach - have you or someone you know done this? Are there any specific sources you can recommend to get more info?

• Angelamay87 wrote (see post):

Mexico you can get married on the beaches there. I am getting married in June on the beach in our resort.

We were given many options where to do the ceremony but the beach stood out as it is different.

I was reading through and saw Croatia mensioned a few times, we were actually looking at going for a mini break. And after reading I think I am defenatly going to do more research into it. Thanks! 

I'd wondered about Mexico! In an ideal world we'd get married on a deserted tropical beach surrounded by our loved ones... unfortunately most of our nearest and dearest wouldn't be able to afford an international flight, so we've been forced to look somewhere nearer to home - we just couldn't get married without them there.

Can I ask though, where are you getting married?! And did you organise your wedding direct with the resort or go through an agent?

We went to Croatia last July (we actually got engaged a few days after coming back!), and we absolutely fell in love with it... ok sandy beaches are in short supply but the food and drink is stunning, as is the weather and if you go to somewhere like Dubrovnik the architecture is stunning.  We took a trip to Lokrum island for the day and it was sublime.  We only went a week, but wished we'd gone for two.  A mini break is definitely do-able - only 2 hr flight from Luton Airport.  We also found the place we stayed in through airbnb, which was really unique and having a local host to talk to about restaurant and places to visit was a great help! They even took us out for the day to a vineyard to do some wine tasting - amazing! If you'd like any tips or suggestions of places to research do just yell :)

We're thinking of going back this year for a wedding recce and will be looking at the islands off the coast of Dubronik - Kolocep, Lopud & Sipan probably :)

• That sounds great, I want to go go to dubrovnk  (mainly because some of game of thrones is filmed there) and have been looking into it the past few weeks for a mini break, I would like to travel a bit more in the next few years.

We are getting married in riveria maya at the hard rock hacienda but we are staying in heaven the adults only part.

I booked through thomas cook and they have been great, we booked the initial 2 week holiday and then added on the free wedding package. Its a simple one but I am looking to add some colour but there is only 6 guests at the moment so do not want to go too over the top. 

• Angelamay87 wrote (see post):

That sounds great, I want to go go to dubrovnk  (mainly because some of game of thrones is filmed there) and have been looking into it the past few weeks for a mini break, I would like to travel a bit more in the next few years.

We are getting married in riveria maya at the hard rock hacienda but we are staying in heaven the adults only part.

I booked through thomas cook and they have been great, we booked the initial 2 week holiday and then added on the free wedding package. Its a simple one but I am looking to add some colour but there is only 6 guests at the moment so do not want to go too over the top. 

Ah yes, you can't really miss the Game of Thrones connection - its everywhere. We did a game of thrones walking tour, but as it was our anniversary & our first day there, we decided to splash out and do a private tour - just us two & the guide for a few hours, it helped to get our bearings, a bit of local history & current affairs and to pick the guides brain on other places to go. There are however absolutely loads of group walking tours which don't require pre-booking. Would definitely recommend doing a tour as they will take you round lots of the GoT locations. Recommend doing it early morning (before it gets too hot/crowded) or after 4pm (thats when most of the cruise ships leave so the old town isn't as busy). 

That sounds really lovely & intimate.  Go for it with the colour - its a special day after all.

I will look the venue up :) I hadn't even thought of Thomas Cook doing weddings, love to hear how it all goes :)