Help with save the dates 😩

Hi.

me and my partner are getting married abroad in October 2020. We cant tell our guest the exact date and hotel etc because they arent released until a year before.

has anyone ever sent out a provisional save the date. We thought about sending out save the date stating that we are going abroad  would love for them to join us and will inform them if the month and the year. And then send out invites when we have all the informaction. That way our guests have 2 years to save.

thank you

sam 

• I would rely on word of mouth to let people know now and send the save the dates when you actually have a date to save.

• Sian91Sian91 Posts: 829 New bride

I would definitely send out a save the date. But I would probably wait until after this summer though, so it’s still two years and people will have it in mind regardless of their holiday pattern etc

• CFWCFW Posts: 234

I think it would be a bit of a waste of money for you to send out a pre-save the date, a save the date AND then an invitation. I'd probably wait until the year before when you have a date to send them out but tell everyone word of mouth what time of year you're planning it so they can be aware?

• CFW wrote (see post):

I think it would be a bit of a waste of money for you to send out a pre-save the date, a save the date AND then an invitation. I'd probably wait until the year before when you have a date to send them out but tell everyone word of mouth what time of year you're planning it so they can be aware?

We are just going to send out the save the date and then when we know have the invitations done with all the details on.

Thabks for you response though :)  

• Sian91 wrote (see post):

I would definitely send out a save the date. But I would probably wait until after this summer though, so it’s still two years and people will have it in mind regardless of their holiday pattern etc

We were looking at sending them in October and then in March we will be able to book the hotel and will know more about prices ect. 

I just want to make friends and family aware as early as possible 

• We are getting married abroad, we sent out electronic save the dates a year before and followed up with invites 6 months in advance.

• I wouldn't send out Save the Dates until you have the date booked else it could get confusing. I'm getting married abroad in June 2019 and we sent out the save the dates last summer. I will be sending out invites this year as soon as flights and hotels are available to book.

Before the save the dates though we messaged everyone we definitely wanted there letting them know the year we were planning on getting married and that it was likely to be abroad in Europe. xx

• Ashley72Ashley72 Posts: 1,137 New bride

We told everyone by word of mouth that we were getting married abroad and roughly what month we were aiming for not long after getting engaged last year. We booked our venue a few weeks ago and most have been told the date again by word of mouth whilst we're in the process of getting our save the dates sorted. They'll hopefully go out in the next week or two and invites out in the summer once flights get released and we've figured out accommodation options.

I think you're safer to let people know by word of mouth when you're hoping for it to be, in case the month changes (and a piece of paper saying "Spring 2020" isn't overly helpful to people trying to plan ahead really). Once you have an official date send save the dates and then once flights are out etc send invites.

• I am getting married in June 2018 in Mexico, we booked it in December 2016 and sent the save the dates out with 18/06/18 - 25/06/18 for the date as we were waiting for Thomas cook to confirm our wedding date.

We sent them out with 1 year and a half to respond and for those that would come a year and a half to save as we can appreciate it would be quite expensive to come so like yourselfs wanted to give plenty of time.

I wouldn't do a pre save the date as another poster said about word of mouth. As soon as we got engaged on 2015 we were telling everyone it would be in June 2018 but only sent out save the dates when something had been booked. 

I would get the word out about when you are planning to get married and then send out the save the dates when you have booked something. Mabye make a wedding website you can give to the people you want to invite so they can go on there to be informed of your plans and where you are at. 

If you want travel theme wedding invites then we got them from a shop called here comes the bride. They are amazing. Picture on my planning thread. And vista print do some good save the dates for when you do manage to send them out.

Hope that helps x

• It appears to me that you should literally send the date after you secured one and then let all your friends and relatives know it. 

• MrsMannionMrsMannion Posts: 1,164 New bride

I booked my wedding in rhodes withwa wedding planner and we had our wedding booked 22 months before so we did tell people by mouth but also sent save the dates out then 13 months before we sent out a information sheet of where we were getting married and prices average prices of hotels in areas close to were we were getting married xx