Getting married in Crete

Hi, my fiance and I are getting married in Crete on 3 September 2018. However, an issue has arisen and I would be grateful for any advice. My fiance's name on his birth certificate is different to the name he is legally known as. His mother and birth father divorced when he and his brother were young and his mum remarried and from then on he and his brother were known as the name of her new husband. His passport, bank account, driving licence, etc is all in the name he is known as. I am just worried that when we send off the birth certificate this will not match. Has anyone else had this problem (if indeed it is a problem). Our wedding planner seems to think it is, but how do we get around it? I am guessing he will need to change his name by deed poll but as he is legally known as this name it seems a bit pointless unless that is the only way.

• MrsMannionMrsMannion Posts: 1,342 New bride

If he is legally known as the name he is now then there should be a legal document to say his name has changed does he not have that x

• Jacquie4Jacquie4 Posts: 2

No, he has no legal document. In the 60s and 70s they were a bit more lax about such things. Clearly, he managed to get a passport but I think that was because in those days you were just added to your parents' passports.