Declaration of Freedom

HI 

Getting married in paphos, nee to sort of the declaration of freedom, i stuck as to if they need to be on letter headed paper or if a solicitors signature and stamp is sufficient enough. I looked at lots of post and cant get a straight answer on any of them HELP 

• GinAndBlingGinAndBling Posts: 1,311 New bride

I'm a solicitor and get asked to swear these a lot. People generally bring in the statutory declaration, printed themselves, and have to "swear" it in front of me. You basically have to confirm you are who you say you are and that the declaration is true. I would then sign to confirm that you have sworn the stat dec in front of me, provide my details and stamp with my company stamp with address etc on. Noone has ever come back and said this isn't enough! 

It's often the case that if a solicitor doesn't have an official stamp they need to provide you with their letterhead or similar, with a signature on it. 

We have a set fee that we are allowed to charge (£5 for the declaration and £2 per exhibit) under current legislation. It's not changed since 1993! 

I'd ring around your local solicitors, they will tell you what to do. 

Our planning thread: We're completely winging it.
    Our report: A fun, classic May day in navy and blush
    My weightloss thread: Diet denial! 
  • Sarah1096Sarah1096 Posts: 3

Thank you so much for that all this planning for the wedding abroad is so confusing, i have spoken with 7 solisitors around me and they have all said they are unsure and if it needs to be letter head that the cost will be around £300 for both letters and then to take to another solicitor to sign 

If it is just a stat dec that you need to be sworn, you can prepare it yourself. There's an example here: https://www.weddingsabroadguide.com/cyprus-legal-requirements.html

The solicitor won't be involved other than to swear it.

If you need a solicitor to draw it up £300 sounds about right! In the situation above the taking it to another solicitor would be swearing the affadavit/ stat dec (which is the £5 fee). 

Why don't you email the venue to confirm? 

• Sarah1096Sarah1096 Posts: 3

I have tried to email the venue it takes so long for them to reply as they are based in cyprus and i assume busy dealing with the weddings currently happening over there 

Thank you for the link just looked at it

• A sworn affidavit or statutory declaration from a Solicitor or a Commissioner for Oaths or a Notary Public in UK.   Note:  The document must use the wording “Solicitor” or “Notary Public” as must the headed company paper and the stamp.     Does this mean it has to be drawn up by a solicitor on letter head?

I've no idea, as I say you'd be better asking the venue directly. 

If it were our firm, and you wanted it on our headed paper, we would have to open the file, give you a client care letter and draft the stat dec for you. You would then have to take this to another firm, who would swear it for you. 

If you came in with a document to be sworn, we would do that and stamp it. I've never been asked to put it on letterhead before. 

The link here also has an example of the stat dec which asks for a business card if there is no stamp: http://www.tietheknotcyprus.com/legal-documents

• Beckie8Beckie8 Posts: 1

Hi, we are getting married in July in Cyprus and am trying to sort out our statutory declarartion. I've just had a quote for £90+vat from a solicitors for a notary public to sign our declarations though i thought there was a set fee so am looking around for others. 

Our venue has been really helpful, they sent us a template and he has just come back to me today saying i need to get a business card from the solicitors but no letter headed paper. He also said once i have it all to send him a copy and he'll get the town hall to check that it is all acceptable. Perhaps your venue will offer the same?