Legal documents

We're getting married in Cyprus October this year and were informed that we require an Affidavit from a solictor prior to marrying. Not sure what other countries other than Cyprus require but before you commit to one solicitors shop around. We were told that in order for the solicitors to draft the paper work and to do a cover letter it was £50.00 each (both yourself and your partner will need one each) However, I typed up my own affidavit's following the example given to my by my holiday tour operators and got the solicitor to witness us signing them and swearing and oath on the bible to say that we were free to marry and it cost us £7.50 each.. What a saving.. The affidavits have been faxed off and checked by the wedding department and they are happy that they are satisfactory legal documents.

RESULT!

• debbie_wdebbie_w Posts: 229
    We did the same if you type you your own...such as....

My full name is ..................and I reside at ...........................................

My Nationality is ............................

My Religion is ..................................

My occupation is that of a ...............................................

My passport number is .......................................

I ......................do declare that I am single and free of any bond of engagement or marriage and can lawfully enter into this my first marriage.

Signed .................................... Solicitors Signature ...........................

Dated...................................... Dated............................................

Solicitors Stamp

We only paid £5.00, First Choice havce checked them as said that they are fine..
  • We were the same, quoted £30 + VAT each to start with, then when I learnt I could draw it up myself I shopped round and ended up paying £5 each ! Bargain.

I e-mailed my wedding co-ordinator in Paphos though to check it and its all fine but they just wanted me to staple a letter head or business card from the solicitors I used.

Job done and money saved !!

Zoe

• Excellent girls

will be following your example and drafting mine by myself, even better, Thomson e-mailed me a draft of one to copy!

Julie x
  • Thanks everyone esp. Debbie, I will be using your example as I was a bit lost when it came to this.

Stephy xx