Guest costs

i’m newly engaged and in the very early stages of looking to plan my wedding. 

I would really like to get married in Mexico, but its Going to be expensive for guests especially those with children. 

The resorts i’m Looking at have all inclusive packages but at around £1000 per person it’s not fair to expect people to pay That. 

I have tried looking at Europe but the hotels are not coming close to what I want!

anyone got married in mexico and can advise on how to keep costs down for guests without compromising to much on your ideal wedding? For eg do you know of travel agents offering free child places or discounts on large bookings? 

TIA

• I could be wrong here, as we aren’t having a destination wedding, but from what I’ve seen of other people, if you want a wedding abroad you cover the costs of the weeding package per guest. They should just be expected to pay for the flights and at a push their room. 

At the end of the day you can’t expect guests to cover the entire cost of the wedding as a) that would mean you only left paying a fraction of the cost and it’s your day, not theirs and b) it might not be their choice of diestination or preferred time of year to visit so shouldn’t fork out for the entire thing. 

• KrabbyKrabby Posts: 49

Have you put the feelers out there to see who would actually be willing to go? I think it’s probably better to ask who would consider it and roughly their budget to travel etc before starting to look for hotels. 

• We got married in Italy and paid for everything for our guests for 3 days including flights, accomod all food and drink there was only 13 and it cost £30k as w3 had a big but intimate wedding. What we did was unusual most guests pick up flight and hotel. 

We chose to pay because it was our choice to get married abroad and as a destination bride you need to remember your destination wedding may be the guests only holiday and not to a place they even want to go to. Accept you will have fewer guests, but book it and send save the dates, people aren’t expected to reply to these but this will give you an indication of numbers as those that definitely can’t make it are likely to let you know.

• Ambam19Ambam19 Posts: 567 New bride

We’re having a destination wedding in Santorini and the guests are paying for themselves (other than the actual wedding part obv) but flights, hotels etc they’re paying for if they want to come. It’s aroynd 1k for a week at our hotel and we have 33 people booked.

we told everyone from the beginning what our plans were to get an idea od who would come but ultimately that’s what we’re doing even if it ended up being the 2 of us X

• Deb14Deb14 Posts: 4
    Nottinghamshirebride wrote (see post):

I could be wrong here, as we aren’t having a destination wedding, but from what I’ve seen of other people, if you want a wedding abroad you cover the costs of the weeding package per guest. They should just be expected to pay for the flights and at a push their room. 

At the end of the day you can’t expect guests to cover the entire cost of the wedding as a) that would mean you only left paying a fraction of the cost and it’s your day, not theirs and b) it might not be their choice of diestination or preferred time of year to visit so shouldn’t fork out for the entire thing. 

Oh sorry I mustn’t Have been clear!

i meant the cost for flights not the actual wedding for guests. I was concerned about the Cost of actually getting to Mexico specifically those who have 2 or more children as that’s 4/5 flights they will be paying for x

Thanks Ambam19. That’s what we’re planning to do to. 

We have around 70 people wanting to come and we’ve given as much notice as possible And trying to work dates around school holidays as quite a few of our guests are teachers. 

We’re Not able to price flights/hotel yet as it’s too early but we’re trying to keep costs low for guests As it’s too much too pay for everyone so we’re paying The flight/hotel for our 6 nieces and nephews and everything wedding related 

it Could be a case of some guests wanting to stay in a cheaper hotel which is absolutely fine and obviously we will be covering the cost of day passes and the wedding at our hotel. X

• I think for a family going to Mexico the real cost will be the flights.  Anyone could get a cheap Airbnb when they are there but there is not getting around flight costs, and no discounts for kids as well!  

I would start with looking at where the cheapest flights are.  

• If you're worried about people you care about potentially not being able to afford to come, you could have a smallish ceremony in Mexico with a few people who are really close to you and then a UK celebration for everyone else? :)

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,077 New bride

Mexico is a long haul, expensive to get to destination - there isn't going to be some magical way to keep costs down for your guests to be honest. Even if they stay in cheaper hotels the flights are the major cost. 

To be honest I think if you want a big wedding with lots of people attending, it's best to get married closer to home, or at least somewhere where people can get an EasyJet flight and rent a cheap Air BnB. Otherwise the financial obligation & pressure you are putting on your guests is horrendous.

Can all of your close family members definitely afford a holiday to Mexico? I would suggest that if they aren't taking those kind of holidays yearly anyway they probably can't.

• Ashley72Ashley72 Posts: 1,135 New bride

Flights are definitely the biggest cost and even if people can go the air b&b or cheaper accommodation route they’re then faced with transport and food costs so it really is an expensive trip even though there are ways to minimise spending once there, the initial flight cost is the bulk of the expense. It’s also a long way so people would realistically need to go for at least a week, which is quite an ask on time / annual leave especially if a lot of people have children as you say. I think the point Mrs C made is a good one - are most of your guests the type to be taking long haul holidays every year and spending this kind of money generally? If they are, there’s a good chance they’ll be happy to attend but if they don’t take those kinds of holidays it’s probably for a reason, whether that’s time, distance, money or just generally not their sort of thing.

I think if you want a larger wedding then it’s maybe a good idea to consider a closer destination that’s easier to get to and can be done more cheaply. Ask your close family and friends for their opinions and get a feel for who would be up for either option. Even then be prepared that when people are all excited at the thought of a glam sunny holiday to attend your wedding, those numbers can dwindle when it comes to them actually having to hand over the £4K or whatever it would be to get them and their family there. 

I would have loved to get married in South Africa or Bali, but realised this would massively reduce how many people would come and would mean some very close people wouldn’t (some of our relatives won’t fly long haul anymore as they get older, some wouldn’t want to go to Asia or Africa etc for an expensive holiday). It was a bit of a sad realisation when that’s all you picture but we decided ultimately that having people around us was what we wanted rather than where we got married. We considered a few Europe options and settled on Italy which I’d always loved the look of. We considered the availability of budget airline flights, proximity to the U.K. where most of our guests are from, and variety of accommodation options so that people can choose - they can do a one or two night cheap and cheerful break or if they want can of course choose to make more of a holiday out of it. 

You might be lucky and all of your nearest and dearest can afford the time and expense and are excited to sign up but be prepared with any destination wedding (even some UK weddings to be fair) that there might be people who don’t make it and you have to be Ok with that when you’re asking a lot of them.

• Hi Brides to be!

I'm an assistant producer at the UK TV company Little Gem. I'm working on an exciting TV pilot, with one of the best wedding planners around! The company is very highly respected, and they're here to help one lucky couple plan their wedding! 

This is an amazing opportunity to get advice from the best of the best in the wedding world! (and we do not necessarily need to film your wedding day for this pilot!)

Please email me at [email protected] to find out more x